Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Christano Ronaldo

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I don't like him but much as I hate to admit it he does have some redeeming characteristics.  He's arrogant but he's not the typical yob footballer.

I remember all the fuss years ago at the Man Utd Christmas party and the players like Rio "roasting" women and generally behaving very badly.  Ronaldo was not involved - not sure he was even there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    FX_Munkee said:
    Ronaldo does not have
    tattoos as it would prevent him from donating blood, which he does several times a year.

Having tattoos does not prevent you from giving blood.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Motorhate said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Ronaldo does not have
    tattoos as it would prevent him from donating blood, which he does several times a year.

Having tattoos does not prevent you from giving blood.
    You can't give blood within 6 months of getting one can't you?
    Yes, the period from first getting inked to giving blood must be at least six months, but after that you can give as much blood as you want.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Bidley said:

I don't give a shit about his hair or his styling or his ego (although I doubt he'd be half the player without his self-belief and will to win). Plus, by all accounts he does some phenomenal charity work. Sounds good to me.

Couldn't agree more; he only played the first half of the final, but he dragged that (average at very best) Portugal team to victory in the Euros. Which is something Messi hasn't managed with Argentina, who are a far better side.
    I think something even more seismic than Messi's awesome talent would be required to give Argentina victory in the Euros.
    Very good :) I was talking about the international stage in general, on which Messi has done nothing.
  • There are FAR bigger twats in the world of football than Ronaldo. 

Whats worse is when they have no skill, and huge ego's.
    FX_Munkee said:
    :) Honestly I'm not a fanboy or anything but I do understand that when he struts around a pitch like he owns it, it's mainly because he does, and he does because he's worked his arse off to get to that point.

Its funny that you don't see Lionel Messi doing the same and for me, he is the better footballer of the two.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2517
    Motorhate said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    :) Honestly I'm not a fanboy or anything but I do understand that when he struts around a pitch like he owns it, it's mainly because he does, and he does because he's worked his arse off to get to that point.

Its funny that you don't see Lionel Messi doing the same and for me, he is the better footballer of the two.
    Messi has to keep a lower profile in case there's any HMRC(Spanish equivalent) amongst the opposition fans.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Ronaldo is arrogant but he has the skills to back it up.  He can talk the talk but also walk the walk.

although in post match interviews he is very professional and doesn't come across as arrogant and gives credits to the team too.

only on the field where he often acts like a child when a play or pass don't come his way.  I can forgive him for that, it's part of his game and let's face it, we all wish we are on top of any field of work like he is.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    There are FAR bigger twats in the world of football than Ronaldo. 

Ahem, Joey Barton. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Motorhate said:
    FX_Munkee said:

Does that really matter? The two of them are absolutely streets ahead of anyone else who has ever played the game.

As I said before its an absolute delight to watch either of them play---nevermind both of them at the same time. Why (some) football fans are absolutely determined to find ways of talking them down I don't know.

One of the world's most popular sports best ever players has an ego on the pitch? Whoop-de-do. Do people genuinely care about this guff other than as a windup?

• starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited January 2017
    CHRISB50 said:
    There are FAR bigger twats in the world of football than Ronaldo. 

Ahem, Joey Barton. 
    Haha, He was actually the first that sprang to mind.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    Barton actually has some skill. It's just that pretty much everything else about him isn't appealing.
  • Hes skilled in talking shite, thats it.

Does that really matter? The two of them are absolutely streets ahead of anyone else who has ever played the game.

???

Neither of them has carried a team to a World Cup like Maradona did in '86.  The World Cup is the biggest stage and Messi has done very little to justify all the acclaim.  His club form is better but it's a lot easier playing in a dominant team like Barca (or Real).  They are both great players but to say they are streets ahead of Maradona is unjustified hyperbole.

I'm too young, but those who are old enough to remember Pele at his peak are pretty much unanimous that he was better than Maradona.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5104
    @earwighoney, if I was manager of a team that had Ronaldo (or Messi etc) on the field, I would structure the teams play to utilise his talent and abilities. I disagree with you re Ronaldo not working for the team. If he runs to the centre circle, at least a couple of defenders will go with him or watch him closely, thus creating space and opportunities for his team mates. Which is working for the team. 

In the Euro Final, Ronaldo was injured early on. His team mates worked their socks off to win the game. As much for Ronaldo as for themselves. They knew how much he contributed in getting Portugal to the final.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchman said:

???

Neither of them has carried a team to a World Cup like Maradona did in '86.  The World Cup is the biggest stage and Messi has done very little to justify all the acclaim.  His club form is better but it's a lot easier playing in a dominant team like Barca (or Real).  They are both great players but to say they are streets ahead of Maradona is unjustified hyperbole.

I'm too young, but those who are old enough to remember Pele at his peak are pretty much unanimous that he was better than Maradona.

The difference between Maradona and Messi in international terms is that Burruchaga scored where Higuain missed.

Maradona and Pele were truly groundbreaking talents but football has moved on. That's not an insult, its reality. The standard of modern football is way ahead of anything that was played in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Ronaldo and Messi are by far the strongest players in what is by far the strongest ever era for football. Fred Perry was a great tennis player but he'd get destroyed by a Federer or a Nadal or a Djokovic because modern tennis has moved to a whole new level, just like football has moved to a whole new level since Maradona and Pele were in their pomp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

???

The difference between Maradona and Messi in international terms is that Burruchaga scored where Higuain missed.

Maradona and Pele were truly groundbreaking talents but football has moved on. That's not an insult, its reality. The standard of modern football is way ahead of anything that was played in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Ronaldo and Messi are by far the strongest players in what is by far the strongest ever era for football. Fred Perry was a great tennis player but he'd get destroyed by a Federer or a Nadal or a Djokovic because modern tennis has moved to a whole new level, just like football has moved to a whole new level since Maradona and Pele were in their pomp.

Conversely, modern players have it easy because tackling has been outlawed.  Maradona was forever getting hacked down from behind by defenders.  How would Messi cope with that?  Additionally, how would Maradona or Pele have benefited from the changes to the offside rule?

Yes the modern players are fitter, but put someone like Maradona or Pele on a modern fitness program for a year and they would be dominant in this era.

It's the same in any sport.  How do you compare across eras?  How do you compare WG Grace, Bradman, Richards, Lara and Tendulkar across 150 years, various rule changes, pitch conditions, and different formats of the game?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I've seen both live several times. Messi is the more "amazing" of the two in terms of control, ability, coordination and making the impossible happen. Ronaldo is by far the better athlete. Had Rooney lived like Ronnie then he'd still be England's best striker. I'm old enough to remember Maradona and he was amazing. Terry Butcher was hardly Gerard Pique or Fernando Hierro as a player though. Modern defenders are much better players these days. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    He would kick your ass quick. Hell of an athlete. :)