CITES UPDATE FROM NAMM

guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
edited January 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader
Sorry to create a new blog - but looking back through FB we do have a few different blogs running with a similar theme - so decided to start with a fresh blog

http://www.mia.org.uk/2017/01/cites-update-from-the-namm-show/

Notes from the head of the MIA (UK Trade body) following various meetings at NAMM with appropriate bodies - Certainly nothing conclusive and at best it just shows up a whole host of issues that authorities had not accounted for 

Clearly it creates different problems for luthiers/companies that have to import the raw materials as well as sell a finished article - I now note from PRS and Fender, that all invoices now have an appropriate CITES import number that is appropriate to that guitar (appropriate from 2/1/17)

From a sellers point of view - It is valid for us to sell, or buy, any guitar, pre or post 2/1/17, with rosewood, to any country in the EU without any additional paperwork - I would not worry at this stage about post Brexit as that is along way away

Remember you can still travel with a guitar throughout the world, if you are with it - So bringing a guitar back on the plane from the USA is okay - However if you import it, then the seller will need to provide appropriate CITES paperwork - Without it, then it may well be delayed or ceased at either customs exit from the USA or entry into the EU/UK

Obviously more to follow as and when the authorities look into this but I don't expect a quick response
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    This is going to be a fun set of rules... Hopefully they can get it clear and concise pretty soon for everyone involved.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:
    This is going to be a fun set of rules... Hopefully they can get it clear and concise pretty soon for everyone involved.
    The only effective way I can see it working for an authoritarian body, such as CITES, is zero tolerance (ie no rosewood allowed) or no restriction on musical instruments (which we obviously see as a selfish option) - it is all the options in between that raises more questions than answers

I have to admit my knowledge of the actual harvesting of rosewood is close to zero - be it new growth or old growth - Yet equally the climate control environment of today ensures unparalleled protection to many of the 'living' spiciest on earth today - On that basis, I feel that if the MI industry has to walk away from using rosewood, then give us say 5-10 years to adjust - But allow total freedom, regarding commercial activity of new/used guitars, throughout the world prior to this date
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 660
    I wonder what this bit means:

New USA formaldehyde restrictions came into play in December 2017 with new standards relating to emissions…be aware!

Is formaldehyde used in treatment/finishing of rosewood, or is this related to something else?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Jeremiah said:
    I wonder what this bit means:

New USA formaldehyde restrictions came into play in December 2017 with new standards relating to emissions…be aware!

Is formaldehyde used in treatment/finishing of rosewood, or is this related to something else?
    Not sure about other uses in guitar making apart from glues possibly, but a quote from a post by Kman Krautzman on Gibson's own forum:

"Richlite. For those questioning just how old this stuff is, Gibson and other companies should just call it by the name most people would be familiar with BAKELITE; invented in the early 1900's. As an industrial chemist that has worked with Phenolic resins for years I can say that most of the claims are correct. Except the non-toxic claim, which whilst true for the majority of population there remains a small percentage of the worlds population who exhibit mild to severe reactions to exposure to Phenolic resins and in particular the stabiliser chemicals (typically Formaldehyde) which are required to stop the cured resin from breaking down over time. Long term exposure to Phenolic Formaldehyde resins also ends up in people displaying a type of dermatitis from touch absorption of the formaldehyde and in severe cases toxic shock (although most toxic cases have shown in people who work with the resins during the thermo-setting (baking) process of the products on a daily basis over years of exposure).."

Although Richlite seems more like Ebonol which is technically known as "XXX Paper Phenolic", and is a paper-based high pressure laminate made from layers of black paper and phenolic resin. As used previously by Ibanez and others...