Ben Jones

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10644

Was at Ronnie Scott's last night; there was a guitarist there called Ben Jones - anyone come across him? He was really excellent. I want to learn some of the styles he was playing. Here's him doing something ordinary, but it sounds beautiful. And especially his jazz stuff is amazing but I can't find much of that on ewe-chewb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tme1SQvWi_c

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm glad I spotted this @viz

He does play nice, yes.

He is playing in a band called PB Underground, this band is Level 42's current Drummer's other project - Pete Ray Biggin - who, coincidentally is Sheffield born.

Here he is.

He is standing behind the Rhythm Guitarist in this vid, some nice playing by both Guitarists in this and other great musicianship as well.

@Kebabkid will strangle me for pinching his discovery, he uploaded this somewhere a few weeks back.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I've heard the first one and while the guy can clearly play it's hardly world-shaking

:-S
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited January 2014
    Yep, that's him doing something simple, but he was he doing a lot more interesting jazz stuff live - great blend of rhythm and lead. This is actually a clip of the evening we were there but again he's not doing anything showy.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Bellycaster;148025" said:
    I'm glad I spotted this @viz

He does play nice, yes.

He is playing in a band called PB Underground, this band is Level 42's current Drummer's other project - Pete Ray Biggin - who, coincidentally is Sheffield born.

Here he is.

He is standing behind the Rhythm Guitarist in this vid, some nice playing by both Guitarists in this and other great musicianship as well.

@Kebabkid will strangle me for pinching his discovery, he uploaded this somewhere a few weeks back.

:)
    Not at all @Bellycaster and it's all helpful :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Excellent clip of PB Underground, kudos to both Kebabkid and Bellycaster for posting that.

Loving Ronnie Scott's, brings back a few "past life" memories.  It always has such a great atmosphere.

Correct. Ronnie Scott's is the only place I know you can go and eat great food, have some drinks, watch stunning live music, dance your socks off and feel part of a family without having to sit through a marriage ceremony.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    viz said:

Was at Ronnie Scott's last night; there was a guitarist there called Ben Jones - anyone come across him? He was really excellent. I want to learn some of the styles he was playing. Here's him doing something ordinary, but it sounds beautiful. And especially his jazz stuff is amazing but I can't find much of that on ewe-chewb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tme1SQvWi_c

nice. but he's no Derek Bailey

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's some great stuff of Ben playing acoustic if you search for DIvaGeek, his project. The albums are great, and he tends to drum on the live shows... as he also does for Scott McKeon. He can also be spotted on Guitar for Natalie Williams, Pixie Lott, and Tinie Tempah among many!

Seems to have developed a style similar to some of the Gospel guys like Jairus Mozee, and Kerry 2Smoove Marshall, all worth checking out!
    Exactly :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    A necrobump but only because @downbytheriver mentioned Ben Jones playing with Tom Jones on a recent performance and here's the sort of thing that brought him to my attention. He just does what he does so well, much like Rob Harris of Jamiroquai