Help me with writing! Loopy frustration.

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7483
edited January 2014 in Making Music
I've got tons of riffs and ideas and, when it comes to heavy stuff, I am quite comfortable putting together a song.

Today, however, I came up with a really nice sounding progression of sparsely fingered g major, d major and a minor chords. It sounds really pretty - 2 beats each of g and d, 4 beats of a minor.

Problem is, it's an endless loop. I've got a bass line to put under, and even a cool guitar part to sit on top, but I've tried stuff for an hour now, and I can't work out how to break this cycle in a way that makes sense!

I'll work it out, but I have frustrations like this far too often, which is a shame because some of the stuff I come up with occasionally sounds acceptable!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    You need to decide whether what you have is a verse or a chorus. If it's a verse, I would go to D Maj and write a chorus. If it's a chorus, I would go to E Min or B Min and write a bridge. That's just how I write pop songs, though. Failing that, bust out the ring modulator.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's definitely a verse.

I'm going to shower then try again. What's making it harder is I'm sick of pod farm sounding naff unless you spend hours tweaking the shite out of it, so until I have a mic I'm just not going to record. I think hearing it playback will give me a better feel for what would work alongside it.
  • A few ideas:
    1. Play it on acoustic.
    2. Play it to someone else and then ask them to sing along and then stop playing. See where they take it.
    3. Take a chord book and pick some out at random and tag them on the end of what you've got and see how it sounds.
    4. Play it in a different key or stick a capo on it and play it in a different position; sometimes your fingers will find the next chord without you having to think about it.
    Just change wjat you're doing and womething else will come.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyer;145703" said:
    A few ideas:

Play it on acoustic.Play it to someone else and then ask them to sing along and then stop playing. See where they take it.Take a chord book and pick some out at random and tag them on the end of what you've got and see how it sounds.Play it in a different key or stick a capo on it and play it in a different position; sometimes your fingers will find the next chord without you having to think about it.Just change wjat you're doing and womething else will come.
    What's an acoustic? ;)

Okay, so I just tried something different - rather than going from sparse voicings to full bar chords, I've gone from sparse voicing on the a minor, then gone for that classic open d major shape an octave higher than normal. It works, slightly better, but I'm going to find more usable d major shapes I've not considered, then when I've got a mic, record it and let the bass fill in some power chords underneath - so the guitar stays pretty and sparse, while the bass gets the rhythm pumping more.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    you dont have to break the cycle, the song can be that loop, the arrangement could build progressively across the song from sparse to thicker and heavier, or using the instrumentation to have different sections of that same chord cycle

having the same chords cycle round and round is fine if it sounds right
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fazer;145759" said:
    you dont have to break the cycle, the song can be that loop, the arrangement could build progressively across the song from sparse to thicker and heavier, or using the instrumentation to have different sections of that same chord cycle

having the same chords cycle round and round is fine if it sounds right
    Hmm. That's an interesting take for sure. It'll need to be recorded, then I can try building on it with bass and perhaps a more angular guitar part.

Thanks for the help guys btw. Wisdoms awarded.
  • same chords with distortion?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityMan;148439" said:
    same chords with distortion?
    I've worked it out. Just a simple 3 chord ending before looping it again. With each loop, it gains 'density' - starts off just guitar and a hi hat, then bass joins with more full drums, then finally guitar, a fuzzed melody (actually just 2 notes over the whole thing). Then it can wind down to just the guitar and bass, and end.

Cliché, but it actually works as what it is.
  • Lots of good suggestions so far, another is to leave it for a day or two.  I do this a lot and sometimes I think of things to try while I'm out and about and some of them actually work. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    Sing.

Let the vocal lead you to the next part of the song.

• Some excellent wisdom above, for the current song and all others that may present themselves in the future. One further one I like to do is play the loop/riff/chord sequence backwards, then sing over the top of that to get a melody, then flip the sequence back around the right way and you usually get a pretty cool miss-matched tune which you can tweak so it's not too clashy
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • So I've not recorded it, properly (need mic) but it works really fine as just a loop. It could quite happily make a 3 minute tune, and maybe just have a small mid section where it breaks away.

I'll use dynamics and effects and drums to build tension rather than notes.

I've worked it out. Just a simple 3 chord ending before looping it again. With each loop, it gains 'density' - starts off just guitar and a hi hat, then bass joins with more full drums, then finally guitar, a fuzzed melody (actually just 2 notes over the whole thing). Then it can wind down to just the guitar and bass, and end.

My next suggestion was going to be 7/8 section.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

My next suggestion was going to be 7/8 section.
    Hmm, a 7/8 section.  

As it is, I should add, it's in 2/4.  Well, that's how I think of it when I play.