So, I'm thinking of a 12" speaker for my 5W amp

thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
UPS look like they'll be delivering my Ampmaker kit tomorrow so I should be thinking about getting a speaker (although the cab won't be ready for a couple of months - an 18W-style open back combo). As it's a Marshall-sounding kind of amp (I've heard them described as halfway between a JTM and a JCM800) my first thought was a Greenback. I've never had one before but they seem associated with a certain classic Marshall kind of sound. What doe the panel recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I'd probably do a Greenback but make it as closed back as possible - I don't really like 1x12 open backed cabs with Greenbacks. Open back, I'd maybe put a Blue style speaker in - Celestion if playing out, Weber if it's for home use (quieter and thicker sounding), or a G12h30 if I wanted solid cleans.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    The Greenback is an excellent choice. It's exactly right for the tone you're going for and is one of the best speakers at low volume - unlike some, it doesn't require to be 'pushed' a bit in order to start sounding good. Avoid the V30! That's exactly one of the problems it has.

I agree that the Greenback possibly doesn't sound best in very open cabinets, but it's not bad and you don't need to close it in completely.

The Blue or the G12H-30 would also be good choices depending on what sort of tone you're going for and if you're trying to maximise (rather than limit, 5W can be loud!) the volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 148
    As its a 5w, I've got a celestion G12L-35 BNIB that I'll let go for cheap. I'd bought it for this very purpose but then lost interest. As mentioned 5w is pretty loud and I'd bought this speaker as its supposed to have a greenback flavour but at a lower volume as its less efficient (96db I think). I tried V30s as I already had a cab and @ICBM is right its horrible in this situation, I also didnt like the vintage10. I cant comment on the G12L as I didnt even get round to trying it.

If youve got the money I'd go greenback, but theres an offer of a cheap speaker if you want it - its 4 ohms btw

• WezVWezV Frets: 17462

get a Tayden true brit from @JPFamps   ;

pretty much a greenback clone but british made and reasonably priced.  

• WezV;146371" said:
    get a Tayden true brit from @JPFamps    pretty much a greenback clone but british made and reasonably priced.  
    Heard a lot of recommendations for these. Always feel good to buy home made, too.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    ICBM said:
    The Greenback is an excellent choice. It's exactly right for the tone you're going for and is one of the best speakers at low volume - unlike some, it doesn't require to be 'pushed' a bit in order to start sounding good. 
    That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear! 

I'd consider Tayden as well (I'm planning to get some Alnico Blue-style 10" speakers in my AC15 at some point and I'd been looking at their equivalents). Volume isn't really a concern as it's for home use and anyway the amp has voltage scaling.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I agree that Vintage 30s - I think they're just nasty speakers. Greenback would be lovely, or a G12H. One bargain to look at is the Eminence GB128 - their version of a Greenback, and available for £50 new. Just a great speaker - I've got one in a 2x12.
    EdGrip said:
    I agree that Vintage 30s - I think they're just nasty speakers.
    I think they're unbeatable, when you're playing to their strengths.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    Tried a V30 in a 1x12 and hated it. Sold it to someone who loves it ...!?!

Replaced it with an Eminence GB128 which sounds good to me (home use).
  • I actually like the v30 in my set up. (Runs ducking for cover...)

Hence why I've got a spare g12 h30 kicking around. (See what i did there - cheeky!)
    edited January 2014
    Cirrus said:
    EdGrip said:
    +1.

Their strength is in multiples, in closed or mostly-closed cabinets, preferably rear-loaded, and driven by fairly high-powered, beefy-sounding amps... then they're some of the greatest speakers ever made. They do need to be pushed a bit - not really thrashed (although they do like that as well) but they're quite a stiff speaker and can sound tight and harsh if there isn't enough power or bottom-end to make the cone move properly.

They're worst in small, front-loaded open-back 1x12"s driven by low-powered midrangy amps. Sadly some companies seem to insist on doing exactly that!

I'm well-known for hating the Eminence GB128 though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited January 2014
    Cirrus said:
    EdGrip said:
    +1 as well. Well, unbeatable is maybe a little strong but really really frickin' good at very least, you can see why they're legendary.

I like the GB128 as well (again, just home use and in a 1x12).

Admittedly I was judging the V30s based on having two of them in a 2x12 Ashdown Fallen Angel combo. They didn't stand a chance.
    EdGrip said:

Admittedly I was judging the V30s based on having two of them in a 2x12 Ashdown Fallen Angel combo. They didn't stand a chance.
    The best thing about that amp is that when it blows up you can pull the V30s and use them for something worthwhile, along with the valves.

:)

Crashdown.
    I should say that the blokes at Ashdown were very helpful, and patient with that amp. There was a general impression of "This thing wasn't our idea."
    It couldn't have been the idea of anyone who has a clue about how to build a guitar amp… 

That and the Peacemaker. Presumably as in the peace that is made when it stops working.

AKA the Failing Angel and the Partsmaker :).