Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

DIY approach

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1132
I've noticed, mostly through work, that there's quite a lot of young (late teens, early to mid 20s) guys who have, essentially, a non-approach to DIY.

Something breaks, no clue how to fix it. Complain about something trivial at home (such as a radiator that has an air bubble in it), no idea how to sort it. It's as though Youtube doesn't exist.

I'm rather happy having a crack at most things, usually try to fix the van myself (waiting for the weather to warm up before I have to drop the rear axle and change the bushings). Most of these lads don't own any tools themselves.

I don't think it's a sign of declining masculinity (I learnt how to fix most house stuff and cars with my Mum due to lack of funds, we'd always fix things as we couldn't afford to replace them), nor a sign of idleness - could it be a sign of this throwaway society and that some manufacturers don't like us plebs to fix things ourselves anymore?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Absolutely nothing to do with masculinity. 

It's just a symptom of a disposable consumerist society. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1132
    I just find it odd that people would rather spend more money on a replacement than having a crack at fixing it - if thing the object is already buggered then trying to fix it won't harm anything.

I kid you not - my ex's dad was terrible at replacing rather than fixing, I recall a time he was ready to buy a new latch for a door (and pay someone to fit it) because the current one didn't work - I fixed it by spraying it with WD40... Same went when he was asking how much it'd cost for me to install new pickups in his guitar as they didn't work, turned out it just needed a clean with contact cleaner.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Im 25, im sure a few of you will remember my clutch woes, but most jobs that need doing here i do myself, replacing/paying someone else to do it is either last resort or i need it done quicker than i can do it. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Took the shower plug and drain apart this afternoon as it was leaking. 

Couple of spares to get and I will rebuild the whole lot. 

I know too many ppl that would call a plumber and pay well over £100 to fix when it will be a few quid in parts, some sealant, and about an hour. 

Ho hum
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Evryone is capable of evrything.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Absolutely nothing to do with masculinity. 

It's just a symptom of a disposable consumerist society. 
    This. Manufacturers design things to be replaced rather than repaired. 

I'm often surprised by people not having a tool kit at all- one of my neighbors needed a hand with her bike. Her tool kit consisted of a flat head screw driver and rusted pair of pliers. 

I've long been of the opinion that if something isn't working then I may as well have a bash at repairing it. If I can't fix it then I'll just end up paying the same. I've fixed our washer, dishwasher, toilet and aquarium pump recently- all with the help of YouTube. 
    Until recently I drew the line at electronics, but since fitting some pickups I'll happily solder low voltage things like my kids toys.  
  • I have friends who won't even put Ikea stuff together...

I have a tool cupboard that fills a 6-foot wardrobe in our apartment, and will happily fix anything that doesn't require a ladder (simply because I don't have space to store one purely for the once or twice a year I'd need it)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Yeah I'll have a go at fixing most things, both my dad and me were in the diy retail trade at various times so I've got a shed full of tools. Pretty much as @Foster says though: my son and my stepson are both in their 20s and neither can be arsed with fixing things. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2017
    I employed some kids many years ago, they couldn't even use a jacksaw....

I've finished jobs by so called trained professionals wh've injured themselves charging some £30 an hour.

I can cut a multi angle by eye with 0.2mm tolerance.  I can fit a new engine in under an hour.

....I despair.

If it wasn't for Wez and the like on here.  Bring on the next nuclear winter, sooner the better

Do you even realise if you have smooth fingers, you already have an advantage with your caulking ability.

Live in little overpriced boxes, no trade vehicles allowed on the estate. Do not make any noise.  Commute to a service job, do not use your skills. Underpaid, overworked, fatty fast foods, getting fatter.  Do not grumble.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    I'm not that young at 36, but I think this affects most of my age group too.

the irony is it's all a lot easier these days.  If I want to have a go at a job 2 minutes on the internet will tell me if it's within my capabilities.

I replaced all the taps and a broken toilet in my bathroom a few weeks back.  Neither were jobs I had and prior experience with.  YouTube makes it easy.

I saved one of our engineers at work £400 recently when the element went in his oven.  He really should have known how to fix that, but had already ordered a new oven.  I talked him through replacing the element and he cancelled his order
  • I fitted a new flush mechanism in my toilet and felt like Billy Big Bollocks for weeks afterwards....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    You'd think in this day and age of Youtube, Google and 'How-To/Fix It webs, that there would be more examples of DIY.. The Yoof never had their hands held so tightly....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• 57Deluxe said:
    You'd think in this day and age of Youtube, Google and 'How-To/Fix It webs, that there would be more examples of DIY.. The Yoof never had their hands held so tightly....
    My wife (early 30s) did the majority of work in a bathroom refit we did. Plasterboard, tiling, new toilet, new sink, new bath, new shower. YouTube was a godsend. 

Lots of it isn't that hard - often the hardest bit is having the right tools and the time to commit.  

The only DIY that we probably wouldn'tvat least try to do ourselves is mains electrics and gas. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    I've always been a fixer. I got that from my dad, he would keep everything because "it'll come in handy one day".
    I replaced the door seal in my washing machine a couple of months ago which is a fairly convoluted procedure involving taking most of the machine apart, but it only cost me £20 and 40 minutes out of my day but I've got a good-as-new machine now.
    http://i.imgur.com/e6R5Tka.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/oNB89fX.jpg

My Android tablet was having problems recently with the touchscreen not working so I Googled it and found the fix which involved opening up the tablet, pulling connections apart and inserting tin foil at the correct place to ground it properly. Took 5 minutes and now it's working perfectly.

It's good to get stuck in. Plus it saves money for beer!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Well the shower drain is out and I'm off to screwfix.

Looks like it's blown a seal. Which would explain the white moustache ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Here's my bathroom as it currently stands at the minute.Fitted the suit,shower,tiles,cladding and spotlights on the ceiling,architrave and hung the door all myself.Would have cost a fortune to get someone in,but if I can do it myself I'll do it.Just need to get a plumber to fit the radiator and someone to lay some vinyl on the floor.

Has taken me getting on towards three years,mind but you can't have it all.

https://imgur.com/a/lS8I2
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm 23, at school I was always academic and never studied anything remotely hands on. 

Through youtube and forums I've learnt that most things can be done yourself; from pipe replacements on cars to reflooring a bedroom. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16673
    57Deluxe said:
    My wife (early 30s) did the majority of work in a bathroom refit we did. Plasterboard, tiling, new toilet, new sink, new bath, new shower. YouTube was a godsend. 

Lots of it isn't that hard - 
    You just make sure that you pick the right wife !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16673
    Its about TIME ..........the modern pace of life etc etc ...sometimes you realise you can pay somebody else to do it because you can make more money in the time it takes to get done 
    The other issue is tools -very often its cheaper to pay somebody else who has the tools than go out and buy £130 worth of specific tools you will hardly ever use again to save paying somebody else £160 to come and do the job
     I am actually vey practical and hands-on but sometimes it is more economical to get somebody else -had this situation lately where it was cheaper than to get my chainsaw fixed and blade sharpened to get the guys who were doing a pollarding over the road and give them £30 for 20 minutes work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom