hi fi and finding out what you been missing...

What's Hot
well..... must be a good 5 years since I had anything resembling a decent hi fi but kids, space and time has meant I have not missed it much.. but the past month since the conservatory and moving all the house around to more permanent set ups has found me with a nice space in the living room to sit down and relax and my speaker dock as good as it is(and it is good) was just not cutting the musical experience I was after..

so for £100 I have got, and I didnt want all this but I was bidding on 2 auctions and won both..

Marantz PM57 amp(bout 17 years old I think)
Rotel RA930ax Amp (20 years I think)
Mission 2 way speakers (not sure of age, they are the modern style of Missions but still old, defo pre 750)
Gale speakers(didnt want these but came as a job lot, sound bloody decent tho)
Technics SLPG920A CD Player (have ran 1/2 a doz cds through and it seems to be working nice)
Sony SE 370 Tuner (didnt want this but came as job lot, works great and I have actually set it up to use)
Gale speaker stands, seem to be doing the job okay, I am watching some Atacamas tho that are local and pick up only so might get for cheaps.

after various tests I have decided the Rotel is my fave out of the 2, the Marantz is going in the office with the Gale speakers so won't go unused it sounds great just prefer the Rotel.

anyhoo, blimey what have I been missing the past 5 years, like I say the TDK 2 boombox I have is proper awesome, I have friends with Bose dock and Zepplin and they are also awesome, my monitor speakers are great too... but nothing matches a 20 year old amp and speakers even with the iPod going through it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gale speakers are rare & sought after.

You can't beat decent hifi :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Even semi-decent Japanese separates and British speakers from twenty to thirty years ago piss on the modern consumer-grade stuff from a great height, and you can get them for a steal usually.

I'm still using my Pioneer SA540 and Wharfedale Lasers from 1984 to run my iTunes setup on my computer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    You can get those old Tannoy Mercury (M20 etc) speakers for about £20 on ebay sometimes, and they are bloody great for the money!

I splashed out on ebay a few years back and bought Arcam FMJ separates, for a fraction of their original cost. Would never in a million years have paid the new prices. Recently got some PMC speakers to go with it. It is an amazing experience with the volume cranked a bit.
  • I had been looking for some Tannoy 605 or 609, I had 605 way back when they were released and adored them, but they are either still too expensive for my liking with postage or too far away for collection.
  • I'm still running my first ever serious system from 1989 which took me 12 months of apprentice wages to pay off: Kenwood Midi separates through a pair of Tannoys...top of the range back then! :P

The tape decks disintegrated shortly after all my tapes died and got chucked...it's good for vinyl, CDs, and putting the iPad through the 'DAT' channel these days.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    I just use a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors attached to an old Denon UD-M3 micro hi-fi - if you want a cheap amp, those Denon units are ace. They come up on eBay for peanuts, because the CD players didn't last long and the volume controls were a bit dicky. However, if you attach them to a computer or audio interface, you just set them to the loudest you want and control the volume earlier in the signal chain...and as amps, they really are good and relatively flat.
    <space for hire>
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Still using most of my decent kit from 88 too. Linn record deck, Creek amp and Linn speakers. Cost me £1200 at the time but it still sounds superb so I guess I've had my money's worth out of it. My CD player died a while back and got replaced with a Cambridge Audio one but everything else is original, including the stylus. >:D<
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I still have my Bang & Olufsen 3300 system from 1989 as well. I don't use it often but it sounds glorious when I do. Unfortunately the big speakers have been in storage since we started re-decorating the living room... about three years ago :). It's nearly finished now though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• does anybody want a Readers' Hifi thread?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • vizviz Frets: 11024
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like a good deal - Count yourself lucky you didn't ask Chilli's advice, he would have ruined you.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Phil_aka_Pip;12869" said:
    does anybody want a Readers' Hifi thread?
    Maybe we could just have a Reader's mains lead thread.

• Aww its a great time to be getting back into sitting down and listening to an album, just purchased 8 cds off Amazon, total cost £10.33 delivered.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    viz said:
    Sounds like a good deal - Count yourself lucky you didn't ask Chilli's advice, he would have ruined you.
    I'm not saying a word.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I've got loads of old hi-fi ... I'm a bit of a hoarder. I recently sent a Misson Cyrus Two amp to be serviced as the sound quality had dropped .. turned out a couple of the capacitors were showing their age. Got them replaced and the amp now sings again. I have the 60W power amp so it's a 60W + 60W set up. Great sound for a 30 year old amp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Well, the TV room has the Arcam/B&W system, the teaching room has the Philips/Cambridge Audio/Mordaunt Short system, and the living room has a Denon DAB mini-system.

The question is, should I get a bluetooth speaker for the garage, for when I'm fettling the bikes? 'Coz plugging the phone into a ropey old pair of computer speakers is less then satisfactory... 
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3520
    edited August 2013
    I have one of these in the bedroom

was the right choice as I have iPods and a Galaxy Note 2, phone tunes are done via BTooth only though so any brand phone works but having a Samsung phone means I can charge it, acts as a nice clock radio. soundwise its great for what it is and more than enough for a bedroom, kitchen, office.. probably too much for your needs but if you have got iPod and Samsung phone its worth a look in to act as a dual charger.

EDIT, just remembered it charges the wifes Nokia too so any micro usb phone would charge, probably best it be on the bottom of the phone tho.
  • bedroom: Arcam Alpha CD player & amplifier, KEF speakers + cassette player & tuner
    lounge(1): Linn LP12 + EAR phono stage + Trilogy VTi amplifier + B&W speakers + TEAC cassette player + tuner + CD player
    lounge(2): Marantz CD player + conrad-johnson preamp + Leak Stereo 20 amplifier + Leak speakers + Troughline tuner + cassette player
    conservatory: Sony SS series amplifier, tuner, speakers + yamaha cassette player
    studio: Quad 33/303/FM33 + KEF speakers
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I make it a point never to own hi-fi that's older than I am.

• vizviz Frets: 11024
    I don't think bakelite and beeswax constitutes hi-fi as such.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28422
    edited August 2013
    I make it a point never to own hi-fi that's older than I am.
    Does that rule out 78s, or are they just OK?
    Well, the TV room has the Arcam/B&W system, the teaching room has the Philips/Cambridge Audio/Mordaunt Short system, and the living room has a Denon DAB mini-system.

The question is, should I get a bluetooth speaker for the garage, for when I'm fettling the bikes? 
    That's an easy one.

Fettle the bikes in the living room.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.