'Free' pedal - but which to choose??

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
edited January 2014 in FX
Following on form the Thomann review-to-get-euros thread, I approached them for my points/euro voucher and is on its way apparently. Strangely it should be 45 euro but they are sending only 30 euro? Anyway has to be used by March, so rather than lose it I suppose can get a cheapo pedal...

So bearing in mind is 10euro delivery, the candidates to get at least the pedal for 'FREE' are:

Bad Monkey
or
(JOYO) Harley Benton  - UlLTIMATE DRIVE  - or VINTAGE OD  - or the ACETONE (a bit hissy though)

or to be totally boring - the Harley Benton Powerplant at 38euro - we always need more power don't we...??

Hmmmmmm...... itchy beard-time..... which??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    From those, I'd be a boring bastard and get the power supply, personally. Although if I needed a TS pedal, I'd get the Bad Monkey. Particularly if played Strats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    leftfield suggestion but the t-rex sensewah is cheap @ 29euros
    or the power supply
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesy;148584" said:
    leftfield suggestion but the t-rex sensewah is cheap @ 29eurosor the power supply
    Wisdom for Sir.

• I've just ordered the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior which is a possibility if you're up for changing the plug on the end of the power chord. If you're interested I'll let you know how that goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Of the original choices I'd get the Bad Monkey. It's just a better quality pedal than the Joyos, and if you don't have an emergency direct-to-PA backup already, the Monkey will cover that too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Get the Powerplant Jr and a load of strings and other sundries.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited January 2014
    ICBM said:
    Of the original choices I'd get the Bad Monkey. It's just a better quality pedal than the Joyos, and if you don't have an emergency direct-to-PA backup already, the Monkey will cover that too.
    +1. I'm not sure there's much difference in sound (in fact the joyo might well sound marginally better if you're after ts-type tone, though the BM is more versatile with the bass knob) but I'd trust the bad monkey more if i were in a situation where I couldn't afford it to fail (e.g. gigging).

The screamin blues is pretty nice too if you want a more transparent type pedal.

The acetone sounds quite organic.

Sorry that was a terrible chemistry joke. I haven't tried it. >:D<

Where's this Thomann reviews for Euros thread? Just out of interest, I don't really want to write reviews and get paid for them... EDIT: never mind, found it. I should probably check off-topic more often :))
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    @Jonnypioww - Thanks mate - appreciated - have a Wisdom tooth out!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If you have a bought anything from Thomann you will have a customer account nos and login - click the Customer Centre then click RATE PRODUCTS and anything that you have bought and that is in their current inventory will show. You get 5 euro for 'star-only- rate' or less than 30 words and 10 euro for more than 100 words review.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

lol

Best geek joke on the forum so far :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    BM.

I paid for mine and would buy another one again If anything happened to this one.

£25 is a bargain but 'free' is a no brainer!

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101

write a couple more reviews!

the powerplant is not isolated outputs, and this will cause nasty hum for many people

the powerplant junior is isolated, and works a lot better

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    57Deluxe said:
    @Dave_Mc
    If you have a bought anything from Thomann you will have a customer account nos and login - click the Customer Centre then click RATE PRODUCTS and anything that you have bought and that is in their current inventory will show. You get 5 euro for 'star-only- rate' or less than 30 words and 10 euro for more than 100 words review.
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

lol

Best geek joke on the forum so far :D.
    Hehe I dunno about that, I was a bit embarrassed by that one. Not to the extent of not posting it, though :D
  • My Harley Benton Junior arrived... it's really small! And it works nicely with a Euro to UK plug adaptor. Hopefully later this week I'll get time to lop the euro plug off and re-wire a UK plug onto it, which should be easy enough as it's got an earthed Euro plug.
  • 57Deluxe said:
    @Dave_Mc
    Cheers! I've just gone back through my history on there and wrote a few. It does say that accessories don't qualify for the "field report" type review (>100 words) so I'm assuming I can only earn 5 euros for those ones. Still, it all helps! :)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    I've just ordered the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior which is a possibility if you're up for changing the plug on the end of the power chord. If you're interested I'll let you know how that goes.
    Good choice cos that's the one with the truly isolated outputs. I've just waiting for a couple of them to arrive myself as I plan to bolt the two together.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    UPDATE:

Is not gonner be a Bad Monkey and a polarity inverter cable now... had a re think... gonner put some dosh in to - so is gonner be either: EHX East River Drive, or their Nano Grail or Memory Toy... or a Ditto...

I hate having 45 euros burning a hole...!!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Why not the EHx Soul Food though, or do you have a Klon(e) already?
    edited February 2014

I went for the Powerplant Junior, so can't really help you there! :p

Why not the EHx Soul Food though, or do you have a Klon(e) already?
    I just bought a Joyo Deluxe Crunch that is a clone of the KLON KTR/Soul Food/PlimSOUL... for only £27.76 new from a Joyo dealer in Japan... was rude not too! Arrived in only 6 days and nails those tones too...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

GET ONE! :)