Blackstar ID Core V2

What's Hot
Hi All,

I have as my go-to practise amp a little Blackstar ID 10, which is great, and lives in my dining room plugged into my PC, as I do a bit of ad-hoc recording via it's USB.

I've been looking at maybe getting a Core 20 for the living room in the new V2 range, and was wondering if anyone had tried them, or compared the modified amps to the V1.

I've seen some deals on old stock of the V1, but if the amp models, effects etc. are improved a lot on the new versions, it's not so much of a bargain.

I've looked at alternatives (like the THR10) but the Blackstars seem to have staggering bang for their buck.

Anyone tried the new ones and have an opinion?
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Sorry admins this should be in amps not amp reviews - could you possibly move it?  Thanks
  • I've got a V1 Core 20, not sure about an A B with the new version but it fits my needs fine at home. Effects are OK, you can download patches from the insider website but it's just as easy to make your own. 
    Boss Katana is getting a lot of love from people at the mo, might be worth looking at them as well. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    A word of warning, both the V1 and to my disappointment the V2 have this audible hiss that whilst doesn't bother most users it annoys the piss out of me.  It's not even speaker noise because it's only when you plug in a guitar cable they hiss.  

So definitely try before you buy because you might love it and get on with the hiss no problem but for me it's a total deal breaker because it actually ends up fatiguing m ears a little as I generally have it at around chest height on my desk, if you have it at your feet then it probably won't bother you.

Apart from that the actual amp models sound pretty decent, especially the clean bright model which has a real nice valve style breakup and saturation but keeps it's articulation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I had noticed the hiss on my V1, I share your disappointment it has not been rectified on the V2.

It isn't mad, you can't hear it while hammering away, but as you say you plug in a jack and it's THERE.

It seems to be some kind of isolation problem with the input jack, so you would have expected it to be fixed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    My Core 10 hisses.  It's a constant white noise and Blackstar are not concerned about rectifying it. 

I know it's only an entry level amp but it puts me off buying a more expensive Blackstar product.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Bumping to add another PoV on the hiss. My amp is a ID:Core BEAM. It's the one with 6 extra settings, and Bluetooth audio streaming. Otherwise it seems to have the same innards.

The background hiss is constant and that means that it is very noticeable if you have the FX Level pot quite high and when you have the amp's Volume lowish. Very distracting - especially if you sit quite close. I have mine on the little couch-side table to play whenever the mood takes me and at 'TV listening' level the hiss is far too intrusive.

I don't recall my THR10 having the same problem. (Shouldn't have sold it!)

If you can crank the Blackstar more, the guitar signal will drown out the hiss.

But this is so disappointing that I'm selling it on.