When is a Red Special not a Red Special

What's Hot

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1316
    tFB Trader
    What's that bit of pickguard behind the bridge for?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this was going to be about the Freddie Mercury documentary that Channel 5 showed the other day - With actors recreating key scenes in the story, including backstage at Live Aid where 'Brian May' can be seen tuning up his Epiphone SG! :) Guess that is the nearest thing the props department could get at short notice....

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    timhulio said:
    Finely chopping garlic. Brian likes to make a start on the prep for the after show bolognaise during the drum solo. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    timhulio said:
    Finely chopping garlic. Brian likes to make a start on the prep for the after show bolognaise during the drum solo. 
    :)

Just to vaguely visually simulate the bridge/trem assembly on Brian's original.

For what it's worth I've always thought a blonde type finish looks best on these, probably because the We Will Rock You video is the first Queen thing I ever saw - Brian was using his John Birch replica 'spare' that he had in the 70s, because it was freezing outside when they filmed it and he didn't want to risk damaging the original - although he actually hated the Birch, and later threw it over the back of his amps...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    That's odd. I've never particularly liked the Red Special, but the black one looks quite decent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    ICBM said:
    timhulio said:
    :)

Just to vaguely visually simulate the bridge/trem assembly on Brian's original.

For what it's worth I've always thought a blonde type finish looks best on these, probably because the We Will Rock You video is the first Queen thing I ever saw - Brian was using his John Birch replica 'spare' that he had in the 70s, because it was freezing outside when they filmed it and he didn't want to risk damaging the original - although he actually hated the Birch, and later threw it over the back of his amps...
    Yup - I agree! And there is a coda to that story...

The Birch was smashed to bits and remained so for a long time. It has apparently been rebuilt (fairly recently) but still has the faults that made Brian so angry he smashed it!

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/johnbirchguitar/johnbirchguitar.html

http://www.guytonguitars.com/brian-mays-john-birch-guitar.html

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    It's no longer a Red Special if it's not red, then it's just Special, and it's only really special to Brian May. So if your not him it's really nothing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Never get excited by a custom John birch. The 3 "one offs" I have held all had fundamental design flaws... I love my non-custom JB Les Paul though
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    timhulio said:
    Covering the opening in the body where the old motorcycle valve springs that he uses for the trem are housed.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I preferred the Bolognese story :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    I think there's an acoustic in that shape too
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Which stand was this @Rabs? Those look like some repro Zemaitis acoustics?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    The BMGs just do not look right to me. I love the R&D behind the original guitar but I have no desire to own a BMG like these ones in the top post.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    The original is one of the ugliest guitars ever in my opinion but weirdly it kinda works in that blue. 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1532
    Are they still made by Burns? I liked the dark green ones they made. I think Brian actually uses one similar to that purple one in the pic occasionaly.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited March 2017
    Must admit that I would love to have one based on the original. It's not that I could perceive it as some kind of dream guitar or that I'm a Queen fanatic ( I do think that they were  ridiculously good at what they did ). It's just that I can't get away from fact that Brian May makes the original sound quite phenomenal, as well as the lyrical approach to his creamy higher gain work ( that bit is definitely  90% Mr May ),  for me it's the sheer kaleidoscope of tones the guy gets from one guitar, especially in the studio. 
    I know someone who worked on the Old Lady, he said it wasn't  a guitar for most players based on the huge neck through to turning into a rabid feedback monster as soon as mucho volume was added. I guess thats a proper one man and his guitar thing. Brian seems to handle it without much trouble.
    TBH I don't mind the look, but maybe after 40 plus years I've grown used to it.

• Are they still made by Burns? I liked the dark green ones they made. I think Brian actually uses one similar to that purple one in the pic occasionaly.

Not made by Burns now. Haven't been for a good few years (10 or more?). I think it's now called Brian May Guitars... and there's a tie up with The House Music Group (who I think also own The Bass Centre).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    artiebear said:

I know someone who worked on the Old Lady, he said it wasn't  a guitar for most players based on the huge neck through to turning into a rabid feedback monster as soon as mucho volume was added. I guess thats a proper one man and his guitar thing. Brian seems to handle it without much trouble.
    He also must have the most delicate touch of any player - not only does he use 8s on a 24" scale without pushing it out of tune and never breaks strings despite using a coin as a pick, the original has never needed to be refretted in 50 years of constant playing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein