Lubeing your switch (ooh, err)

RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
The five way switch on my '91 Am. Std. Strat. is stiffer than I would like, what is the best way to free it up a bit?  I was thinking a bit of Vaseline or equivalent carefully applied or is there a better way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it stiff & gritty or is it that the notches for each position are holding it more tightly than you'd like?

If stiff & gritty,  suggest taking off the scratchplate, then cleaning away any visible dirty gently with a bit of kitchen towel and then apply a little light oil (say 3 in 1) to the pivot. If it's more a case of being notchy then with the switch out again, I'd spray the lot generously with an electrical contact cleaner & then oil the pivot.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I had a situation yesterday on a trade in - stiff in 1 or 2 positions- quick job worked this time - Servisol sprayed through the switch slot on the scratchplate and move the switch a few times to and fro - must have been some crap in there - This was on a budget Strat - normally  I would take the scratchplate off and clean accordingly