Earliest Telecasters in Jazz

What's Hot
Hey there folks

I'm curious as to who might have been using Teles in jazz in the earliest days of the guitars production. I'm really drawn to players like Bill Frisell and Julian Lage who use Teles so well, I wondered if there were any jazz players in the 50s and early 60's who used them or any other solid bodied guitars.

If not then, who was the first that you can recall? 

Have a good day
Harry
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    Ted Greene?
  • Of course! Nearly forgot about Ted, though i'd consider him somewhat more contemporary than I was hoping to find in my question!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    When I listen to the Jazz players on 50's albums I cannot help wondering if 18 month old strings are contributing to their sound?

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    I know that Joe Pass used a Fender Jag for promotional purposes in the 60's.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Hey there folks

I'm curious as to who might have been using Teles in jazz in the earliest days of the guitars production. I'm really drawn to players like Bill Frisell and Julian Lage who use Teles so well, I wondered if there were any jazz players in the 50s and early 60's who used them or any other solid bodied guitars.

Have a good day
    Harry

George Benson playing a 'Burst in 1964.
    This does not surprise me at all. A great Les Paul is a really versatile guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnR8EoLTYZ8#t=43

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I know that Joe Pass used a Fender Jag for promotional purposes in the 60's.
    TBH, the tone he got isn't a great advert for the Fender Jag, IMHO

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Whilst its not noodly jazz in the accepted sense... Les himself was an astonishing player...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Joe Pass played a Tele, Jazzmaster and Jaguar at various times at least once… I think in the early 60s but might have been earlier for the Tele or Jazzmaster.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111

There's a Canadian jazz guitarist called Ed Bickert who uses a Tele.  He's been around since the '50s but I'm not sure when he first started using the Tele, maybe not until the mid '60s, maybe even early '70s, so again a bit more contemporary than you're looking for.

He has a neck humbucker but I think he originally used the stock pickup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 315
    Ed Bickert - e.g. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Did John McLaughlin ever play a Tele? I've seen pictures of him with a Mustang.
  • Yes! @Philly_Q and @smigeon this is the kind of thing I was hoping for. Great find. Anymore?

I love how Joe Pass and contemporaries sound like themselves despite the guitar, but I also love how modern Jazz greats like Julian Lage have embraced the Telecaster and written it's sound into their playing. It's this that I'm particularly keen to find more of. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Jim Mullen played a tele in the Morrisey Mullen band in 70's.

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 375
    edited March 2017
    I was going to mention that I saw Jim Mullen with his quartet in the late 80s and he was using the Tele

i know it's not the info that you asked for but Mike Outram can be seen using a Tele in his current work with Theo Travis as Double Talk. I saw them last year he is some amazing guitarist, highly recommended 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • markjmarkj Frets: 948
    Skipped said:
    Hey there folks

Have a good day
    Harry

George Benson playing a 'Burst in 1964.
    This does not surprise me at all. A great Les Paul is a really versatile guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnR8EoLTYZ8#t=43

No its not it's Eddie Murphy.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 439
    Jimmy Bryant was very Jazz influenced so does he qualify??
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 439
    Adrian Ingram would know - he plays jazz on a Tele . Pretty sure he mentioned Barney Kessel as playing a Tele early on. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Barney used the Charlie Christian model Gibson, then his own model before he fell out with Gibson (though he still played their archtops, but with the logo removed). Don't recall him ever using a Tele and there's lots of him on Youtube.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    edited March 2017
    Seemed to be more of an 80's/90's thing with Carlton and Stern both using blackguard 50's Teles. 

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, the above B&w is Bob Bain...blackguard Tele.