Is there a better way...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I very, very rarely disagree with Dan Erlewine, but that's one where I do.

I admit that he's fitting it very close to the neck block rather than in the 'Les Paul position', so the block will help support the extra block too - and yes, it is on the straighter part of the side.

If you've ever had to repair a guitar with a split side because someone did it by gluing a little block much further away from the neck block - as you suggested, the 'horn position' - you will know exactly why I would strongly recommend against doing it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Drilling the guitar's side

I also don't like the way he risks drilling a hole down the middle of his thumb!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Who actually plays sitting down with a mic in front of the guitar?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Eric Clapton

:)

And quite a lot of folk/singer-songwriter types.

It's still the best way to get a proper acoustic sound, where stage volume and movement aren't a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I reckon I'd probably do that. Sit on a chair and mic it up.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    thomasross20;1080261" said:
    I do. Often stand and play in front of a single large condenser mic for vocals and guitar too when the environment will allow (i.e. If I'll be able to hear myself without foldback).

I have to admit, I've yet to play acoustic live. 
    Wouldn't know whether to drill a strap button into the heel and fit an M80... or just do the mic thing and sit on a seat :)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    thomasross20;1082093" said:
    I have to admit, I've yet to play acoustic live. Wouldn't know whether to drill a strap button into the heel and fit an M80... or just do the mic thing and sit on a seat :)
    It's basically all about the environment you're going to be playing in, how loud, what PA, is it your show or are you doing a "spot", how long you're going to get to soundcheck etc.

You can get good results plugging in with something like an M80 or K&K pure mini, but it'll never sound really acoustic. Having said that it will likely also never become an unworkable howling feedback mess which mics can if you try and use them in the wrong setting.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    thomasross20;1080261" said:
    @thomasross20 Most of the British folk-blues players play/played sitting down.

Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Roy Harper, Ralph McTell, Davey Graham etc.

Martin Carthy's an exception out of that lot.

But yes it's pretty common although admittedly not done too much down the at the typical open mic.

Cheers, guys. 
    Oh yeah.. feedback... Might be worth having M80 in as backup. 
    I couldn't imagine standing up playing my acoustic lol.