Sidewynder pick-ups

What's Hot
Hi all,

Any fans of Sidewynder pick-ups?  Seems they've not done a great marketing job of late but I hear good things about them and am very tempted to grab some.

Cheers!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    I agree about the marketing. A shame, because the pickups sound very good - they have a quite unusual combination of high power, focus/tightness and clarity… I believe they're most popular with metal players, which figures.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    What happened with the marketing? Dish the dirt (assuming you won't get sued for libel etc. :)) ) :D

High power, focus/tightness and clarity sounds pretty nice- I wouldn't necessarily want that in every guitar, but in the ones I would that'd be great. I've heard of them but never tried them.
    The marketing was taken over by people with little to no knowledge of the world of guitars or music, what interests or puts off players, or even basically how to describe tones and pickup characteristics… in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think ICBM has hit the nail on the head, from what I've heard.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ICBM said:
    The marketing was taken over by people with little to no knowledge of the world of guitars or music, what interests or puts off players, or even basically how to describe tones and pickup characteristics… in my opinion.
    Ah right, thanks :))
  • hmmm seems like theres not a lot of love for sidewynder as a company :(

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Why should there be?

Interest in the products yes, but why "the company"?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • any reason why theres no love for the company is it just the marketing as has been stated above?

• sbray83 said:
    any reason why theres no love for the company is it just the marketing as has been stated above?

Welcome to the forum, Steve! Sounds to me like they've just not done anything to inspire much love - but the pick-ups seem well-liked.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • yeah it seems like pretty much everyone is of the same opinion great pickups rubbish company lol i only ask because i have been approached to do a bit of rep work for them in the south of england i have got sidewynder pickups and i think they are amazing and have real belief in the pickups as a product but it seems that its more the business side where they fall flat maybe if i can find out what the big issues are i can push them to solve these issues, 
  • A good product can always be saved by good marketing/sales.  If they were crap, I'd be more concerned!

My band, Red For Dissent
    There's nothing wrong with the company, they just don't market the product well. The pickups are great, but very definitely not traditional boutique magic pixie-dust hand wound PAF clones. (Not having a go at people who do make those, they're just different.)

@sbray83 - PM'd you.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Just fired one in my bridge of my LPC, 15k but no idea on the model.

Will report back after Monday night.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3859
    Possibly a Lancehead. Of which I have one for sale. @ICBM sold me a Hognose and 2 x Lancehead. One of the latter 'died' then came back to life. They're terrific in my Schecter PT. Good enough to relegate the new Strat to classifieds.

My band, Red For Dissent
    I was kinda set on BKP Miracle Man but Haydn is letting me test run it to see if I like it.
    If I do, I doubt that the one you have is a gold covered neck one is it?
    Yeah, I forgot he uses them. My spare is black, uncovered. £20 if you want it

My band, Red For Dissent
    Well, he used to at least. Seems like they were very unorganised, so not sure if they will start again. Is it for the neck?
    I had it in the bridge but I'm not sure. You can try it.

My band, Red For Dissent
    Yes, 15K is the Lancehead, although early ones didn't have names.