P90 differences

What's Hot
I recently picked up a gibson junior with a single dog ear p90.
It needed some work - a new nut, wiring sorting etc - originally with the intention being to sell it on/trade it as i already have a junior special with p90's, but thats changed now to the point i'll hang on to it.
Anyways, whats surprised me is that the dogear p90 sounds very very different to the soapbars in my special.
In fact, i'm amazed how different they actually sound.
The special has quite a smooth sound completely different to the raw sound of the dogear.
I've fitted russian paper in oil caps in both to the same spec but are there normally such a difference in gibson p90's?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Does the junior special definitely have P-90s and not perhaps P-100 pickups?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • P90's
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    There is an article in this month's Guitar & Bass.  Early P90s had Alnico III (I think - may have been Alnico II) magnets whereas the later ones had Alnico 5.  Apparently the later Alnico 5 magnet ones are more in your face.  That was talking about original 50's ones.  I don't know the specs on your guitars so they may or may not have the same type of magnets,

The other thing that might affect it is the actual acoustic sound of the guitars.  Do they sound the same unplugged?  I had a Les Paul that sounded really bright and toppy unplugged and it was very bright plugged in.  My current one sounds a lot fuller unplugged and a lot fuller plugged in.  While pickups do make a difference they do reflect the native sound of the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    The Second P90 also makes a difference as it adds string pull which dampens the vibrations.
  • Resurrect an old thread ? 
    Leaving aside the guitar construction like woods etc , a single coil p90 in the bridge of a tele will sound very different to a soap bar p90 in a tele? I am guessing because the single coil size will be angled as opposed to the soap bar being at straight?
    In theory they should be sounding pretty similar ?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Dog ear p90s are bloody fantastic, they seem much more raw, they're like a bare Knuckle fighter, the soapbar Is a boxer 

I've been using my coronet style the last few weeks in a band and it'll do everything I want, just volume and tone and haven't missed a neck pickup either 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Does the junior special definitely have P-90s and not perhaps P-100 pickups?
    P-100s were the stock equipment. I replaced them with true single coils.

Another difference is that the Junior Special has separate Tune-o-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece compared to most Juniors having a combined wrapover type.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I prefer the sound of dog ears they just seem to have a rawer tone. I wonder if the real reason they sound different to the soap bars is because they are mounted directly to the body whilst the soap bars aren’t.