Custom moulded pickup rings?

What's Hot
I was wondering how black pickup rings might look on my Paul's Guitar and then realised that it'll cost me just over £30 for two bits of plastic. This seems a bit ridiculous, but as the pickups aren't exactly common-place I don't have any other option.... or do I?

I've taken one off and taken measurements of the pickup ring* to draw up some plans. I was thinking 3D printing could be fun, I haven't tried any yet, but a simpler option would be to make a mould and then produce new ones with black resin or similar. Has anyone here tried this before? Obviously this is a bit OTT for such an unimportant piece, but it could be fun.

*and taken measurements of the pickup itself incidentally, that's for another project though. ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 660
    Have a look at Shapeways 3d printing to see if someone already has done one. I got a mounting ring that bolts a GK3 onto it.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    If you are going the mould route, it's probably best to borrow a pickup ring and use it as a master to create the mould.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184

I'm interested in doing this for another guitar. I've got a Roland G-303 that has no pickups. Unfortunately, it has a completely different route from pretty much any other guitar ever produced and so it needs a very different pickup ring. I've made drawings of one in Solidworks and looked into getting it 3D printed. It wouldn't be cheap - 20 to 30 pounds for two - and from what I can tell, the finish wouldn't be smooth, so I'm put off the idea.

I have a pair of rings on another G-303 that I could use to make moulds though. Gil Yaron goes into great detail in one of his build threads on tdpri.com on how he makes his. I may have to look into that unless someone has a better idea.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    3D printed parts tend to be very weak and look crappy. Moulded will always look better and be stronger.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Another option is to get them machined from some suitable engineering plastic (like acetal, which machines well, has good strength, and isn't expensive).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    ^ True, that crossed my mind too - but it's not as fun/interesting as either 3D or moulding. I've had parts machined before from designs, it's cool 'n all but I'd probably just buy a set this time around if that was my only option.

I've been thinking about celluloid though and maybe making som vintage Gretsch-style tortoiseshell block ones from laminated sheets. It's tricky to source in usable thicknesses though in the UK but Stew-Mac did a really good vid a while back of some replacement ones he made using the same technique. This project could well turn out to be incredibly overblown, or just a load of hot air. We'll see! :)
    Nomad said:
    Another option is to get them machined from some suitable engineering plastic (like acetal, which machines well, has good strength, and isn't expensive).
    I wondered it that might be the best option. Thanks for that. I'll have to inquire.
  • If you go down the 3D printing route, you want to look at the likes of jewelry prototyping, this typically gets quite a good surface finish, owing to a better printing method. Probably cheaper than machining as well. You need to make/get the cad though. I use Design Spark Mechanical, its free and really good if you fancy having a crack at re designing the CAD your self.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    If you go down the 3D printing route, you want to look at the likes of jewelry prototyping, this typically gets quite a good surface finish, owing to a better printing method. Probably cheaper than machining as well. You need to make/get the cad though. I use Design Spark Mechanical, its free and really good if you fancy having a crack at re designing the CAD your self.
    He mentioned that he's done it in SolidWorks.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Nomad said:
    If you go down the 3D printing route, you want to look at the likes of jewelry prototyping, this typically gets quite a good surface finish, owing to a better printing method. Probably cheaper than machining as well. You need to make/get the cad though. I use Design Spark Mechanical, its free and really good if you fancy having a crack at re designing the CAD your self.
    He mentioned that he's done it in SolidWorks.
    I have done mine in Solidworks, but guitargeek62 (the original poster) hasn't yet - at least he hadn't when he started the thread.