Epiphone Flying V

What's Hot
I bought an old Epiphone Flying V on ebay a while back. Always fancied one and it was cheap, about £150 from memory. Anyway, it was in ok condition apart from all the frets were all over the place, the electrics crackled and the pickups didn't sound nice... yup, bargain ;)

Bought some bits and bobs to teach myself how to do fret levelling and left the lot leant against the wall for months until yesterday...

Was such a mess inside I started again...

I had a pair of Gibson 498T and 490R pickups that I put in...

Really quite surprised with the result. Firstly I should have spent a little more time polishing the frets and in places they're not perfect but they're all the right height and it plays really well. It also sounds great.

Very pleased with the result and it turns out a V is a great shape guitar to play stood up... well, I think it is at any rate.

Cheers,

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Good work!

Yeah the Flying V and the explorer are 2 shapes that are deceptively comfortable to play standing up because the edge of the guitar is so close to the strings, so you don't have to reach over the top.

Played my first gig with my BC Rich Jr. V yesterday, will defiantly play it again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Excellent job,I always think they look cooler with covered humbuckers. Did you follow a guide for fret leveling etc?
    Also, please clean your keyboard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    I followed the Crimson Guitar videos and also bought their tools. Really like both.

Keyboard cleaned, you're right it was disgusting. Should find a second keyboard to use when working on my cars.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Good advice I'll check out their videos.

Get a little rubber cover for your keyboard.