Telecaster Weight Question

What's Hot
rprrpr Frets: 316
Ok , been looking for a used US Tele.  Since a spinal fracture a few year back, I'm quite sensitive to guitar weight. I've been e-mailing a guy who's selling an ash bodied one that weighs 3.9 kg. It's a bit far to travel to try out,tho I will be picking it up.
Anyway is this an average Tele weight or on the heavy side. Any other suggestions what is considered a light weight would be appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74389
    That's a little over 8 1/2 pounds, so is on the heavy side but not ridiculously so for an ash bodied one. It's the sort of weight I find solid and powerful-sounding rather than overweight, for a Tele - but if you've got back problems I would be cautious.

'Light' would probably be under about 7 1/2 lbs. You can get Teles that sound good even at under 7lbs, so I would keep looking... although you might find it hard to get a US Standard/Series which is that light.

Have you considered a Thinline or a pine bodied one? Quite different-sounding but can be really nice in their own way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I think in lbs and I go for light teles and strats.
    7lbs is great- I have an Anderson strat that is 6.5lbs and it is great.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited December 2013
    My USA tele is Ash and weighs in at 7 1/2 pounds (3.3 - 3.4 Kilo), which is average for all the tele's I've played.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    The Tele I just built is feather light. If you fancy a challenge, I'd recommend one of the bodies from GuitarBuild.co.uk - all the genuine Fender parts fitted 100% perfectly without any modding. They show the weights of each body and you can then build something light (in my experience, lighter Teles sound bigger) to your spec. Add in Oil City Pickups and you'll have a Tele that will sound better than ANY US built guitar, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I prefer the sound of heavier guitars in general as they have a dull thudding quality I like..

But teles can be lighter than that. Have you considered a thinline? Also, basswood is a great tone wood that's cheap and underrated. A partscaster with a basswood body and a thin poly, nitro or wudtone finish would be featherlight and sound great :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I echo @ochtatonic.
    Lightweight Andersons (and Fenders, if you can get them ) are great
    "You play an accordian, you go to prison - that’s the law…."  
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2385
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at the link below it shows how I built some very light T/C. One of the custom builders I make bodies for has been making very light T/C for people with bad backs using my bodies and necks. The last one I built for him came in at 2lb 2oz’s that was a bit lighter then normal 2lb 6oz’s is more the norm. If you want to have a go at a part caster I can supply a body under 2.5lb’s and a  flame sycamore  neck at about 1lb  2oz. A rock maple necks is about 1lb 5oz’s. Then with the right hardware and a oil finish or wudetone finish the weight should be under 6lb and still sound great.

Sorry for sending you all of to UKGB but thats were all my post are.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSES;112152" said:
    Have a look at the link below it shows how I built some very light T/C. One of the custom builders I make bodies for has been making very light T/C for people with bad backs using my bodies and necks. The last one I built for him came in at 2lb 2oz’s that was a bit lighter then normal 2lb 6oz’s is more the norm. If you want to have a go at a part caster I can supply a body under 2.5lb’s and a  flame sycamore  neck at about 1lb  2oz. A rock maple necks is about 1lb 5oz’s. Then with the right hardware and a oil finish or wudetone finish the weight should be under 6lb and still sound great.

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3741.0

Sorry for sending you all of to UKGB but thats were all my post are.
    Oh my god, I didn't realise a guitar could be so light!

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    impmann;112085" said:
    The Tele I just built is feather light. If you fancy a challenge, I'd recommend one of the bodies from GuitarBuild.co.uk - all the genuine Fender parts fitted 100% perfectly without any modding. They show the weights of each body and you can then build something light (in my experience, lighter Teles sound bigger) to your spec. Add in Oil City Pickups and you'll have a Tele that will sound better than ANY US built guitar, IMHO.
    I built a Tele style guitar with a guitarbuild body too, and mine's very light also.

If you sign up to his email newsletter thing, you get a 25% off code (for website, not eBay) that's good til Xmas.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• Funny enough, I had my Road Word 72 Tele Custom weighed today and it was a smidge under 8 lbs.  

Feels good to me.
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com