Money back?

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1507
edited December 2013 in Guitar
Just checking that i am not being a tart, well, no more than usual! I recently bought a guitar that was described as having a 1 piece back but when it arrived it is clearly a 2 / 3 piece back. This means that it is not the model we both thought it was and therefore worth a fair but less than I paid.

I have opened a claim through paypal for a refund. I feel a bit bad as the guy might not have known but I don't want to be out of pocket if I move it on in the future.

Right thing to do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes.

Regardless of the 1 piece vs multi piece debate, it's not as described, and (rightly or wrongly) 1 piece bodies are worth more than multi piece.
  • Could well have been a genuine mistake, but you've not got what you wanted, so yes (just be pleasant about it).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Well, if it had been described as a 2/3 piece back, you wouldn't have paid that price - so yes, you're right to do it.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    It could be a genuine mistake, but then it might not be.  Either way it's not as described.  It could be that you're not bothered and that you're happy with it regardless in which case keep it.  But I would guess that you are since we're discussing it.
  • Even if it was an innocent mistake which is highly possible it was still described as a one piece back, so you are right to seek a refund.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I'd have asked the seller before going through Paypal, but yes, I'd want either a refund or him to knock a bit off.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    I'd have asked the seller before going through Paypal, but yes, I'd want either a refund or him to knock a bit off.

I did contact him before but only to let him know. I hadn't thought about asking for money off actually. I wonder if paypal will deem it as significantly not as described though?
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I have no doubt that they will. It was described as a single piece of wood, it's actually three. That's a significant difference between description and actual item.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147

photek said:
    I'd have asked the seller before going through Paypal, but yes, I'd want either a refund or him to knock a bit off.

I did contact him before but only to let him know. I hadn't thought about asking for money off actually. I wonder if paypal will deem it as significantly not as described though?
    I think that's a pretty big difference in description.  But that is by the by - 'Not as Described' doesn't have to be a HUGE difference - it just boils down to the fact that it wasn't as described.  Basically you wouldn't have purchased it at that price with an accurate description.  :)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    Regardless of how bad you might feel for the guy, there isn't a great deal he can do if it isn't as described.  Even if you mutually agree a partial refund, it's something.  Don't feel guilty, it's just one of those things.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2459
    I agree with what everyone else is saying- even if it is an honest mistake, you shouldn't have to be out of pocket because you're even less to blame, you bought it in good faith. Obviously be polite and all that.