Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flying V?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Does it have to be a gibson?  Make one from parts?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    Thanks chaps - that strersbar looks a lot nicer than the pics I'd seen previously.

The trem is more of a wish really - if I was planning to spend serious money I'd look for the right one with a floyd.

In this case I'd be intersested to hear of any cheapo V's that would be a good base for future upgrades - half decent wood and construction will do - it sounds like the epiphones are ok and worth getting the right bridge incase I go for a strets.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Here's mine. It's automatically better than anything else in this thread because it has a fixed bridge.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2013

http://www.kneguitars.com/v_bod.php

They will do you a 22 fret body with a recessed or no recessed Floyd, probably 24.75" too is you asked if you can find a bolt on to match and don't mind bolt ons.  Decent bodies these and decent wood too.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11846
    tFB Trader
    Really not sure why you'd want a Floyd ... ugly, tone sapping, eighties monstrosities that only trump a Stetsbar in being able to make the strings go totally floppy ... the point of that being what exactly? If an octave down and a third up ain't enough for you dive bombers lordy help you :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGuitarWeasel;113204" said:
    Really not sure why you'd want a Floyd ... ugly, tone sapping, eighties monstrosities that only trump a Stetsbar in being able to make the strings go totally floppy ... the point of that being what exactly? If an octave down and a third up ain't enough for you dive bombers lordy help you :)
    Yahtzee, the games reviewer of zero punctuation fame, refers to inane shooting games as 'spunk gargle wee wee' games. Are you suggesting the Floyd might be the equivalent?

:)

Fwiw, I love Floyd trems and they *can* be wonderfully musical. But (and this is a big but) they're very hard to sound good with. Changes are very abrubt, so getting a nice smooth and accurate transition from a note to, say, a 5th up, takes a lot of practice.

It's why I now use non lockers, which are much more forgiving of bad technique. They also don't 'warble' on the low strings as much. However, I'd like a Floyd loaded guitar again someday, because they are good fun... Even if it is for spunk gargle wee wee music :)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    guitargeek62;113005" said:
    DeeTee said:

I've heard lots of good things about the korina Epi ones, plus I really like korina as a tonewood.

Korina's an ace tonewood; but the Epi's are korina veneer over poplar/basswood/alder, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. They're still nice, but they don't sound much like a proper korina or 'hog one. :(

Source, I had one for a couple of years.
    Liar, liar pants on fire ! You've never owned a guitar 'for a couple of years' I know you Si and it's couple of weeks at best ! ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Liking the White one Lixarto posted, serious question can you play one sitting? It looks like that might be a challenge.

tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel;113204" said:
    Yahtzee, the games reviewer of zero punctuation fame, refers to inane shooting games as 'spunk gargle wee wee' games. Are you suggesting the Floyd might be the equivalent?

:)

Fwiw, I love Floyd trems and they *can* be wonderfully musical. But (and this is a big but) they're very hard to sound good with. Changes are very abrubt, so getting a nice smooth and accurate transition from a note to, say, a 5th up, takes a lot of practice.

It's why I now use non lockers, which are much more forgiving of bad technique. They also don't 'warble' on the low strings as much. However, I'd like a Floyd loaded guitar again someday, because they are good fun... Even if it is for spunk gargle wee wee music :)
    Bugger .... just spilt my tea: 'spunk gargle wee wee music' is exactly right :)

It is really tough to sound good on any trem used in an extreme way ... is a set of techniques that have to be practiced as hard as finger vibrato or any other form of expression. I've heard far too many 'bedroom Becks' sounding like a rabbit being slowly crushed by a cow in labour to believe that giving everyone a Floyd ... or a Stetsbar for that matter, is a sure route to bonzer tones all round :)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    ROOG said:
    Liking the White one Lixarto posted, serious question can you play one sitting? It looks like that might be a challenge.
    Yes, and it's more comfortable than a Les Paul, SG, Explorer or Firebird sitting down.

Bold statement, but it's true.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket said:
    ROOG said:
    Yes, and it's more comfortable than a Les Paul, SG, Explorer or Firebird sitting down.

Bold statement, but it's true.
    This is true, just with with one leg between the 'v'.  It naturally elevates the neck into a more classical position and makes practicing for long sessions remarkably comfortable.  The only thing that arguably beats it for comfort is a strat, or any other double cut, contoured design.  A non contoured strat is, in my opinion, less comfy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    It doesn't work like that for me - maybe I'm too small or something, but it's very awkward to play it like that and the neck ends up at a ridiculous angle. A Les Paul is far more comfortable sitting down. As is just about any other solidbody except maybe a Firebird, which is just too long. Vs are only any good standing up, for me.

Most comfortable sitting is probably a Jaguar, but a Tele is surprisingly good too, since it doesn't have the tendency to slide off that the ones with rounded edges do... likewise a PRS.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    V is perfect for me sitting down ... leg between the V .... job done :)

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567

Ok, that's come as a surprise to me, I've never even picked one up owing to belief that it wouldn't work sitting.

Perhaps I should give one a go, became very popular in 'my era'. 

tFB Trader
    Nah ... if I were getting Jon to make me one it'd be a 67 ... can't use a trem on a 58 apart from a Bigsby as has been discussed

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    edited December 2013
    DrBob;113266" said:
    [quote="guitargeek62;113005"]DeeTee said:

I've heard lots of good things about the korina Epi ones, plus I really like korina as a tonewood.

Korina's an ace tonewood; but the Epi's are korina veneer over poplar/basswood/alder, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. They're still nice, but they don't sound much like a proper korina or 'hog one. :(

Source, I had one for a couple of years.
    Liar, liar pants on fire ! You've never owned a guitar 'for a couple of years' I know you Si and it's couple of weeks at best ! ;-)[/quote]

Lol! Normally you'd be dead right, but this was before I got into the tonequest, before I joined the forum(s), before the GAS times...

I'd been after a '58 Korina Vee since I was 4, thanks to Mr Wheeler of Ash fame. The Epi looked the part, and I remember it playing well, but it didn't have the thunk of a proper one even after I swapped in some decent pickups (Swineshead PAF-a-likes, iirc).

*edit* Besides, I've still got my first guitar - that's 10/11 years now?! :D
  • I have a jaydee Flying V. No problem sitting with it if you don't mind splayed legs! Great guitar. I wonder if the fact that a V is symmetrical has anything to do with how it rings out amazingly but that could of course be john diggins.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    My 67 reissue is easy to play sat down, dunno what all the fuss is about.

tFB Trader
    dlmorley said:
    I have a jaydee Flying V. No problem sitting with it if you don't mind splayed legs! Great guitar. I wonder if the fact that a V is symmetrical has anything to do with how it rings out amazingly but that could of course be john diggins.
    I used to have a JD Explorer !!!!!! Yay