How long does the post office hold a parcel?

What's Hot
...and what do you guys do if the person you mailed it to doesn't pick it up in time?

Sold a pedal on here, posted it a week ago and according to the tracker on the Parcelforce website it's been sat at the buyer's local post office since last Wednesday. No reply from the dude since "I sent your money, please send the pedal ASAP", despite several messages from me to the effect of "I posted it, here's the tracking number" and "can you confirm that you've got it, and that it's in one piece?"

So I currently have a sum of money sitting in my PayPal account that I'd quite like to spend, but don't really want to in case Mr Man tells me that Postie has destroyed my pedal in transit and he wants his money back. The parcel's got a return address on it, so presumably when the post office feel like they've given Mr Man a fair chance to come get it they'll send it back to me, and I'm going to be left with my pedal and the money he paid me for it, which isn't ideal. 

Any advice?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25573
    You have his postal address.

You could try an old fashioned letter!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    You have his postal address.

You could try an old fashioned letter!
    Dear Mr Man,

You know how you paid me quite a lot of money for a thing? A thing that I presume you acutally want? Well, you're never going to believe this. Don't ask me how, but that very same thing is at the post office just down the road from your house. You should probably go and get it.

Yours sincerely,

English_bob

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1414
    There could be any number of reasons he hasn't picked it up. Unfortunately youre just gonna have to wait it out!
    How very rock and roll
    There could be any number of reasons he hasn't picked it up. Unfortunately youre just gonna have to wait it out!
    No doubt. Everything seemed very much on the level until Mr Man went silent so I'm sure it's legit, which is why I'm mostly concerned that the parcel's going to get sent back before he makes it to the post office, causing additional ball-ache for all concerned. I prefer my balls pain free.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3497
    If he paid by PayPal and you can prove postage. Spend the money your covered. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Post Office hold parcels for 18 days, or 21 days if it's a customs payment pending item.
    grungebob said:
    So are you saying he's got no redress if he doesn't pick up the parcel and it gets returned to me?

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Maybe he's on holiday?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3497
    edited July 2016
    grungebob said:
    So are you saying he's got no redress if he doesn't pick up the parcel and it gets returned to me?
    Yeah pretty much. Providing you have proof of postage/ tracking info stating you posted to that address and they attempted delivery then you have fulfilled your obligations in PayPals eyes. 
    Theres not much else you could or should be expected to do really is there?

i know your doing the honourable thing of waiting in case there's  a fault or damage claim but really it's no longer your responsibility , relax and spend. 
    monofin said:
    Maybe he's on holiday?

Quite possible. I don't think there's anything dodgy going on.

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    14 calendar days, I think.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I was going to say, I think its 3 weeks then they'll make an attempt to return it to the sender. They'll open it if needs be to try find the address. (But I see that others have more informedly posted 18 days). I guess if its deemed under a certain value they'll dispose of it after the 3 weeks, if over then auction it off?

I am not sure if they'll make another attempt at delivery, they might put a 2nd card through the door or send a letter??

In the future, you've better off using Hermes, its half as expensive and if they can't get a signature they'll throw it over the fence and sign it themselves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    paul_c2 said:
    I was going to say, I think its 3 weeks then they'll make an attempt to return it to the sender. They'll open it if needs be to try find the address. I guess if its deemed under a certain value they'll dispose of it after the 3 weeks, if over then they'll steal it. 
    FTFY. 
    I probably wouldn't have used Parcelforce, only I was on holiday in Cornwall that week and it was way less disruptive to drop in to a post office for five minutes. 

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    edited July 2016
    It would be interesting to see if Paypal does the refund in the case of a non-picked up parcel.

Whatever, the buyer is an idiot if they don't collect it from the Post office, since they (effectively) agreed to its being sent by Parcelforce and thus accept that if they're not in, they take it to the local Post Office rather than throwing it over the fence or giving it to the neighbour and signing for you. They paid for it, you'd assume they wanted it????

What are they expecting, the courier to teleport it onto their pedal board?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom