contract free mobile phone

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
what's a good no frills, bells and whistles decent wee mobile phone ( for calls only really) that wont get me laughed at by the kids?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited July 2016
    Samsung galaxy J3? £150
    Samsung are probably have the most user friendly version of android out there. Other wise you are looking at apple and a LOT more money. 

The spec is decent, you can put your tunes on an SD card if you want to too.
    720p screen, so Half HD on a 5" screen will look nice enough, quad core processor is fast enough for all but the most intense games and it's got 1.5GB of RAM (Random access memory) so switching between apps will be fairly nippy too. 

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/samsung/samsung-galaxy-j3/phone-details
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    it's for calls only Hertz.......cheap 'n nasty but coool
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    it's for calls only Hertz.......cheap 'n nasty but coool
    No one will think you're cool with anything other than a touch screen! Feature phones went out the window about 5 years ago, and Sub £100 smartphones seem a false economy
    'Awibble'
    oh dear
    tae be or not tae be
    Motorola Moto G would be £20 cheaper, but probably not as easy to use. 
    'Awibble'

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1209
    Moto G is a great phone for the money. Especially if you just want to make calls.
    Our whole family have them in various flavours, but my son has just bought something new.
    @hootsmon, if you're interested then he would probably sell it for quite a bit less than £100.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    If you want something ultra basic you can't go wrong with a Nokia 105 or 130, then get a cheap sim deal. They're indestructible and only need charging once a week. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    edited July 2016
    I'm not sure you can get a calls-only, non-smartphone which won't get you laughed at.

I've got a Nokia 105.  It works fine, it's small and light, it stays charged for a week.  It cost £15.  Laugh away.

(I've got a Moto G as well, as it happens, but it's only been out of the box twice.  I don't understand all that bollocks about finding a WiFi/3G/4G signal and I find touchscreens utterly terrifying...)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I've got a Nokia N96 you can have.  
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2016
    To be honest you are better off with something that kids laugh at, it will have better reception and need less charging and since you are using it as a a PAYG or whatever, I assume that the phone call aspect will be of some importance.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 or some shite and it's a piece of crap, needs charging all the time and drops out of reception every where on the same provider and sim that my old phone used.  Total load of showy bollocks for idiots.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    moto e 4g, £70 at argos sim free,  this phone goes forever on a charge, doesn't have all the branded bollox that most phones have these days, just plain no frills android,  it's a beauty, my fussy 15 year old daughter loves hers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    if you know anyone going to the US, they were selling off  the Lumia  640  for $30 in all the stores,   Walgreens,  Bestbuy
    Bestbuy  had no stock left in the store I tried in May, Walgreens had some. Some other cheap stores too
    Don't let them power it up at the till.

this was about £130-£150 here. I bought 2

it's locked to AT&T if you power it up, but if you go to the correct  page and request unlocking (I think you have to have an IP in the US), they unlock it within 2 days for free

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

for "are you an AT&T wireless customer" answer no

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    Kids laugh at adults with mobile phones. Doesn't matter which one,  it/ you will never be cool. That's how it is and always will be. 
    Although my sons think I should get one of those Marshall phones,  but that ain't happening. 
    What about a fone range 128? £60 and you can pretend to be a builder/ Bob the Builder. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have an Alcatel Pixi 3, £50 including credit. I got it when I lost my phone in Iceland. It'll do everything you want. 
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    holnrew said:
    I have an Alcatel Pixi 3, £50 including credit. I got it when I lost my phone in Iceland. It'll do everything you want. 

Yeah Alcatel are a very good make.  I had an Alcatel phone years ago and it was one of the best phones I'd ever had.  I'd recommend this one @Hootsmon. ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    Hertz32 said:
    Motorola Moto G would be £20 cheaper, but probably not as easy to use. 
    I'm baffled by this statement to be honest. Moto G is about as close to stock Android as you get. Its completely straightforward.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom