Diggerland - great day out for school hols

What's Hot
NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
Today we took our grandson to Diggerland (at Castleford, W Yorks) for his birthday treat (he'll be 6 on Thursday) - what a great day out!

You get to drive diggers, mini go-karts, dumper-trucks, and other stuff, and there are some bigger things to go on, e.g the Spindizzy (never again!) and the Skyshuttle.

Most of the rides have a minimum height for the kids (usually about 1 metre tall to
 ride on with Grandad, or 1.4 metres to drive themselves),  

If you pay on the day it's 19.95 per person, 9.95 for grandads over 65, but it's worth booking online in advance to get about £3 off each.  I think they may also do a family ticket.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for a good day out with the kids, now that school's out.

(Usual disclaimer - I have no connection except as a satisfied customer).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599

He's got his own theme park ???!!!

(Private Eye refer to him as 'Digger' if you don't get it)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of my mates used to work there, he said it was one of the best jobs he's ever had playing with diggers all day. 
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 478
    Many moons ago, when I was 15, I used to work in the Kent one, being paid £3.57 an hour. It's not a fortune by any means but a couple of weekends work and I could buy a new pedal.

Aside from making you pay for your uniform, it wasn't a bad job at all. Most of the kids that come really enjoy themselves and listen to you even when you have to tell them that their turn's over on the diggers. We even once had a grandmother celebrate her 80th birthday there.

There is something weirdly thereputic and satisfying about digging a huge hole in an industrial size digger and then filling it in again. Perk of the job when it was raining and no one was in the park was doing that.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    We did Diggerland with the kids a year or two ago. They were probably slightly too young to fully appreciate it but it was dead good fun. Would definitely do it again, only all their sites are a fair old trek from where we live.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74502
    Brilliant place. I went there with my kids ten years ago - probably due another visit!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 30225
    I'd like to go when it's quiet. Presumably one does not have to have a child in tow?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    Sporky said:
    I'd like to go when it's quiet. Presumably one does not have to have a child in tow?
    I don't think so. You might get some funny looks from parents who realize that the only child you've brought is yourself, but as long as you pay to get in you're golden. Obviously, all the vehicles are proper adult sized things. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    Sporky said:
    Yes, there seemed to be quite a few "unaccompanied" gents, intent on digging and filling holes in the ground...

Interesting comments about people worked there - they all seemed to be enjoying their work!  Most seemed like students who had found the ideal summer job.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30225
    Aces. Sprocket and I can have hole-digging races. I don't fancy my chances of winning, even with a JCB...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I used to take my son to Diggerland at Durham when I lived in Newcastle.  He loved it, great day out.