Les Paul binding details

What's Hot
Hi 
Still gathering parts and info for my Les Paul build. 

When I was in the US recently bothered to order some of the Stew Mac binding as I did not feel I could justify the cost of Bartlett royalite. 

That said Stewmac cream is awful the white looks nicer 

What I really need to know is how deep should the binding be The stewmac binding is pretty wide, do you fit it wide and then cut it down on the body like the neck or cut it to a certain width then scrape it. 

I have seen various measurements ,for how far into the body should classic binding be. 

thanks for any input 

Jez
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    edited September 2016
    Is it extra tall for binding the full top depth at the cutaway 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    6mm deep and about 2mm for vintage stuff

I've just ordered some ivory binding from China to see what it's like
    I can't find a good colour for normal builds, I like the royalite binding colour and crazy parts do some but it's too expensive for non replica builds
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader

If the Les Paul you’re binding is a full arch top, then you will need 11 to 12 mm. That is of course if you’re cutting your channel the way Gibson used to do, that is about 1mm below the Maple cap. I actually bound two Les Paul’s this afternoon if I remember I will photograph them tomorrow and put pictures up. I pre-cut the binding before I put it on, I do this by roughing up one side of the binding, fit it onto the body just holding it in place with masking tape then run a pencil round the inside to give me the different heights, then cut it on the bandsaw. I think if you try to do it without cutting it to size you will have trouble fitting it.

Most of my custom builders seem to prefer Ivoroid over Gibson cream. However if you want Gibson cream David Dyke has it in stock, 13mm and 6mm in two thicknesses 1.5mm and 2mm, I also believe Touchstone have it in stock as well.

EDIT

Sorry I rewrite the above. What I should have said if you’re cutting the channel the way I do it and not the way Gibson do it. I cut the channel about 1mm below the Maple all the way round.  

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes the top is to the Bartlett spec so full depth. 

This is the Stewmac stuff colour for the cream is more coffee than cream IMHO the white is probably too white although I could work on it. So should cover it. 

that said I might look for an alternative

(2.29mm x 14.35mm) 

Thanks for the information very helpful

Jez
    Vintage les Paul's don't have the binding cut all the way down to the mahogany in the cutaway

You see the maple cap, maybe 3mm or so is visible depending on the carve and sanding
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)

The photographs below are of the two Les Pauls I put the binding on yesterday. Cleaned them up ready for the necks to be glued in, which I’ve now done.

Off-topic sort of anyway, the other photograph is part of an order of Kerfed Linings I should be finishing this afternoon, along with some necks I should be fretting. But the sun is shining it’s a lovely day so F*** the work, quick shower change of clothes,  and I’m off to Eastbourne seafront for a walk, and have some lunch. After all is it will still be there when I get back this evening, and one needs to get the priorities right in life.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's not vintage spec, it's around 6mm give or take depending on how much sanding was done

You should see the maple if you want a vintage look
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader

If you read the edit of my first comment you will see I don’t want the vintage look. I think showing a bit of Maple below the binding looks terribly amateurish, particularly if the guitar is having clear lacquer on the mahogany.

Sorry Graham I missed that bit.

I'm the other way though and can't stand the binding that big, just looks wrong to me.

Is that the David dyke binding, colour looks quite good, I'll have to try some If it is

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    That binding comes from Touchstone.

tFB Trader
    Thanks I'll try some, it doesn't look too yellow to me

I like more of an ivory/  very light cream look, I haven't liked that many so far
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)