Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Andertons 50th anniversary JTM 1watt amp

What's Hot
funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
This sounds great (although Bonamassa could make a ducks arse sing) but its a bit pricey seeing as I already have a JTM1-H sitting in a box unopened. If you add the cab its £1300!

http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-amps/pid31807/cid688/marshall-csjtm-145-1964-andertons-50th-anniversary-1w-head.asp?playVideo=w71tBeuLn2Y

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited January 2014
    And Bonamassa is playing Bernie Marsden's "Beast" as well. Blues rock licks through a Marshall on a Les Paul. It doesn't get much more classic than that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's very little amp for 600 quid... If you want a good, hand wired amp for that money, there are plenty of UK builders out there. They'll even give you something to wind the power down...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It does sound fantastic, however if Marshall have made 200 of these 'limited' heads it makes me wonder what goodness will they reveal at NAMM.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    If they were going to go to all that trouble to make it authentic, why didn't they give it a Presence control? It looks stupid without, and it needs more top-end in the sound too - it doesn't 'kerang' like a really good Marshall, very noticeable on the chords at around 9'20"-9'30". Or maybe it's the recording… or him. Just too compressed and middy. But then he seems to be able to make anything sound like that.

Hilarious that Andertons wanted to put a V30 in it until they were told not to!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Now normally JB has me running away with my fingers in my ears - but that sounds superb. Just the way a Marshall should sound - raspy, yet deep and with just the right amount of compression. I would have like to have heard more dynamics, but Mr B plays too many notes for that (and repeats the same phrases over and over - he's deffo been listening to Oh Well before this performance).

Nice - I like that. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I paid less than that, for my 1964 JTM45.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Sounds better than most Bonamassa playing- less blanket-over-ampy and muddy. So maybe in the hands of someone normal it'll sound a bit toppier?

Certainly better to my ears than the first run of 1W stuff. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bonamassa often sounds "blanket-over-ampy" due to working with the producer Kevin Shirley, that cloth-eared git doesn't seem to have any treble in his hearing. I wish he'd stop messing up Iron Maiden records.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    /\ have a wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    edited January 2014
    In current Guitarist, contributing writer (ex editor!) Mick Taylor says that the Marshall Class 5 combo is a better amp than these range of anniversary 1watt  amps they made... and Jeez - Lee Anderton on an ego trip or what?? Just sell stuff at better prices - not try and 'entertain' us into buying... And no, I do not want to 'celebrate' your family's business with my hard-earned thanks!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    In current Guitarist, contributing writer (ex editor!) Mick Taylor says that the Marshall Class 5 combo is a better amp than these range of anniversary 1watt  amps they made... and Jeez - Lee Anderton on an ego trip or what?? Just sell stuff at better prices - not try and 'entertain' us into buying... I do not want to 'celebrate' your family's business with my hard-earned thanks!
    I think that's a bit harsh. Andertons do have their fans and an awful lot of loyal customers. And, let's face it, if you could get Marshall to custom build you a run of amps promoting your business...that's not an ego trip, that's just smart business.
    <space for hire>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Watched the vid now, sounds great to me, and fantastic to see Bernie's Beast being played. 

Personally I like the way Lee comes across, I think he's got it right by fronting the business online like this. Better to know the guy at the top than a faceless box shifter. 
    I have actually bought 2 Gibsons and a top end Epiphone and a Cornford from them... Oh a a Keyboard/PA amp rig and Soundcraft desk a bit back too. You do get palmed off a lot I'm afraid unless you stomp your feet. You don't see Lee front of shop now...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    In current Guitarist, contributing writer (ex editor!) Mick Taylor says that the Marshall Class 5 combo is a better amp than these range of anniversary 1watt  amps they made...
    I tried the little JMP 1W combo and although I didn't think it sounded that good (the small speaker was probably responsible) and is comically overpriced, I still thought it sounded better than the Class 5. And it didn't rattle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I stand by it - for this sort of money, you could get a UK builder to hand wire you a brilliant, wonderful sounding amp with whatever Marshall style preamp circuit you like, and a power amp to suit.  

And they'd have enough power to use for more than 'still a bit too loud for the bedroom'.  I know they say you have to drive these amps, but seriously, an 18 watt WEM circuit takes pedals great - that plus a marshall type drive would probably sound just as good or better for lower volume, and would be rehearsal and giggable, too.

And not a rip off. 

I like Lee though.  
  • 57Deluxe said:
    In current Guitarist, contributing writer (ex editor!) Mick Taylor says that the Marshall Class 5 combo is a better amp than these range of anniversary 1watt  amps they made... and Jeez - Lee Anderton on an ego trip or what?? Just sell stuff at better prices - not try and 'entertain' us into buying... I do not want to 'celebrate' your family's business with my hard-earned thanks!
    ' I think that's a bit harsh. Andertons do have their fans and an awful lot of loyal customers. And, let's face it, if you could get Marshall to custom build you a run of amps promoting your business...that's not an ego trip, that's just smart business.

Anyone can order just about anything via the Marshall custom shop, it just takes the funds....

• I stand by it - for this sort of money, you could get a UK builder to hand wire you a brilliant, wonderful sounding amp with whatever Marshall style preamp circuit you like, and a power amp to suit.  

And they'd have enough power to use for more than 'still a bit too loud for the bedroom'.  I know they say you have to drive these amps, but seriously, an 18 watt WEM circuit takes pedals great - that plus a marshall type drive would probably sound just as good or better for lower volume, and would be rehearsal and giggable, too.

And not a rip off. 

I like Lee though.  

Wholeheartedly agree!

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1142
    i thought it sounded decent, although to be honest i know so little about vintage amps that i couldn't tell you if it sounds anything like the original. I bet if Joe bonamassa plugged into my rig it would sound epic, i know he has his critics but he runs rings around 99% of us, and i bet when you're sat there next to him it's jaw dropping to watch

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited January 2014
    i thought it sounded decent, although to be honest i know so little about vintage amps that i couldn't tell you if it sounds anything like the original. I bet if Joe bonamassa plugged into my rig it would sound epic, i know he has his critics but he runs rings around 99% of us, and i bet when you're sat there next to him it's jaw dropping to watch
    I agree; it sounds great to me, and I can't understand why some think it's cool to knock JB, he's an awesome guitarist by any standards within his genre, and by many outside it. His tone is what he wants it to be, and it's OK not to like it, but I have to say I really do. I can't listen to him all day, but I certainly respect the guy for his playing and his seemingly humble manner. He said himself that he can't understand why he is able to sing the way he does when he sounds like a dork when he speaks (or words pretty close to that)! 

Anyway the amp (with that beast) sounds really good in his hands, and I bet they will all sell fairly quickly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2014
    SimpleSimon;126073" said:
    digitalscream said:

57Deluxe said:

'

I think that's a bit harsh. Andertons do have their fans and an awful lot of loyal customers. And, let's face it, if you could get Marshall to custom build you a run of amps promoting your business...that's not an ego trip, that's just smart business.

Anyone can order just about anything via the Marshall custom shop, it just takes the funds....

<Why doesn't the quote function allow me to add content outside the quoted area??>

...anyway - I pondered the value financial of this to the either the dealer or Marshall:  Assuming Andertons make as much as a 40% markup as a dealer means that the most Marshall would make is ~£72k
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>