Comments

• Woah, nice!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    That looks utterly beautiful with the cream pickups and maple against the dark grey tinted flame top. How does it sound?
  • I love that , well done for having taste :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Stunning. I genuinely believe there is no better made guitar than an Anderson.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    A beauty, I'd love that!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2016
    Tom Anderson are top quality guitars through and through, and that one is no exception. Many congrats and I hope it gives you years of playing pleasure. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • allenallen Frets: 834
    Megii said:
    That looks utterly beautiful with the cream pickups and maple against the dark grey tinted flame top. How does it sound?
    Thanks. Always a bit tricky to describe sounds in words, and can't say I've really tried it in loads of different ways/pedals. The pickups on this are stacked humbuckers so not true P90s

So far...
    Overall - most people say 'strat on steroids' and I'd tend to agree
    Neck pickup - very beefy, easy to get SRV tones without a tubescreamer, but occasionally goes a bit too dark
    Neck and middle - sweet sounding
    Middle - bit more like an ordinary strat neck pickup
    Neck and bridge - bit too chewy for sultans of swing, but more usable for me than a normal strat
    Bridge - much better than a normal strat, less thin

How's that for an attempt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not generally a fan of 'boutique' Strat-style guitars - but I think Andersons are brilliant.

They look, play and sound superb - pure class.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I approve hard.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    allen said:
    Megii said:
    Thanks. Always a bit tricky to describe sounds in words, and can't say I've really tried it in loads of different ways/pedals. The pickups on this are stacked humbuckers so not true P90s

So far...
    Neck pickup - very beefy, easy to get SRV tones without a tubescreamer, but occasionally goes a bit too dark
    Neck and bridge - bit too chewy for sultans of swing, but more usable for me than a normal strat

Not bad! cheers for that, it sounds like a guitar I'd enjoy myself, and I do think there's something to be said for the humbucking aspect - I like single coils as much as anyone, but I have struggled with noise issues on occasion, so it's always nice to have a guitar that reliably avoids that. Having watched the Anderson factory tour videos some time ago, it did look to be a happy place and dedicated to the highest of standards, and that does look to be the sort of standard one would expect - i.e. immaculate. And a very pretty guitar as well - cheers again for posting the pics. :)
    Actually just watched your excellent video, and it seems surprisingly noisy despite the stacked pickups - I wonder if they've sent you the wrong pickups, or is there something else at play causing the noies maybe. It does sound gorgeous all the same! :)
  • I've been on the look out for a short TA with trem for ages, albeit somewhat different specs, so I know how hard it is to find the right one.  This sounds great. Congratulations.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Megii said:
    Actually just watched your excellent video, and it seems surprisingly noisy despite the stacked pickups - I wonder if they've sent you the wrong pickups, or is there something else at play causing the noies maybe. It does sound gorgeous all the same! :)
    Thanks. Yes, I think it might be the noisiest guitar I've got. Mind you, there is no noise if you touch a metal part of the guitar and I seem to remember seeing a comment from Tom on a forum saying that you hold to hold the guitar to stop the noise. Not sure of the exact reason.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Because it sounds so frickin awesome!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    edited November 2016
    allen said:
    Megii said:
    Actually just watched your excellent video, and it seems surprisingly noisy despite the stacked pickups - I wonder if they've sent you the wrong pickups, or is there something else at play causing the noies maybe. It does sound gorgeous all the same!
    Thanks. Yes, I think it might be the noisiest guitar I've got. Mind you, there is no noise if you touch a metal part of the guitar and I seem to remember seeing a comment from Tom on a forum saying that you hold to hold the guitar to stop the noise. Not sure of the exact reason.
    When you touch the strings you're grounding.

Much as people might talk about cycle hum and grounding issues in the guitar itself, I reckon it most likely an issue with your amp grounding, or your home electrics grounding. 

Our house has some grounding issues and I get it on every guitar to an extent. Some guitars highlight it more than others..
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    allen said:
    Megii said:

So far...

I did wonder if the neck pup might have fewer winds, like a normal  hot single coil instead of a full p90 wind
    I did wonder if the neck pup might have fewer winds, like a normal  hot single coil instead of a full p90 wind
    Not sure exactly, but it is the lowest output one that they do.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    A Strat on steroid is my way of describing it as it becomes a reference point that we are familiar with - If you say it is new, different and fresh then we don't know what you are talking about - Further more, the acoustic properties of a bolt-on maple neck tend to be Fender-esq anyway

Looks mighty fine - I have a 3 P90 Cobra with rosewood neck - so similar - so I appreciate what you have - looks very nice - Further more the shorter scale length on your Andi  somehow makes it sound a touch more organic as sometimes Anderson's can sound to pure - Almost more Karen Carpenter and less Janis Joplin
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    is it hollow?
    my drop top was hollow, and it was the icing on the cake: just picked up that extra bit of acoustic feedback from the amp

I sold it because  I wasn't happy with the pickups, and didn't want to  change them out, since I'm going off trems, and SSH config

Now have my cobra with  2HBs  very nice again,  and a chambered Suhr  in a strat shape, which has the best switchable setup for an HH I've ever played: it has a really  usable, clear SC neck  position

I think for me SSS or HH are the only ones that work of the standard configs, but
    I think SC / P90 /  HB would work, I think I've only seen that sort of idea in Fret Kings

But I am loving the idea of P90s in it
    I have an LP-type  guitar with 2 Mississippi Queens in it, and that is stunning

Maybe I should get a  set of Kinman nine-ohs and put them in a strat, hmmm