Telecaster education needed

What's Hot
I fancy a bit of a change and want to trade or sell my McCarty for a tele. I'm not sure what the PRS is worth, maybe £1k+? But what models of telecaster might fit into that price bracket second hand?

I'm wanting a fairly straight ahead tele really. I played a Squier CV, fender Baja and a couple of standard US ones. Of those I really liked the ash US std. It felt really well made and sounded great. I could probably get one new but I assume I can get more bang for buck going SH. What kind of things should be on my radar? 

(I don't want any fancy quilted necks etc. Personally I don't think they suit teles)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    What about one of the AVRI US models? If you like maple board then the '52 or rosewood then the '62/'64?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • What about one of the AVRI US models? If you like maple board then the '52 or rosewood then the '62/'64?

Do you know if their vintage heritage make them a bit tricky to play? Would bending maybe 3 semi tones bomb out up near the top of the board?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    austint01 said:
    What about one of the AVRI US models? If you like maple board then the '52 or rosewood then the '62/'64?

Do you know if their vintage heritage make them a bit tricky to play? Would bending maybe 3 semi tones bomb out up near the top of the board?
    Well, they are both 7.25" radius boards, so there is a limit to their shredding capability I guess.. ;)

It depends on what you like with a board. Personally, I'm a Gibson preferrer, but there are plenty out there that will bend 3 semitones on the G or B or maybe even E strings comfortably on a 7.25" radius Fender board
  • Pre-2012 American Vintage 52 Reissue Teles are great value used - and sound really good. The newer version is more 'vintage correct' - though they tend to be more expensive and have very big necks, which are not to everyone's taste.

Ideally, Custom Shop is the way to go, as these generally have 9.5" radius boards, which are close to your PRS. They command a premium but are the best modern Fenders if you can stretch to one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 948
    I've got an American vintage 64 ri. Can't recommend it enough. Easily swap,between that and my Prs,s
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    American vintage hot rod is the way to go IMO. 9.5 radius, and mini-humbucker in the neck position. Neck on the chunky side but very comfy. Get a good one and they're as good as any tele this side of about 3k
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This is exactly the info I was hoping for. Many thanks to the collective forum wisdom.

I'm struggling to get a feel for used custom shop tele prices online. Do they vary wildly depending on their spec? Is there such a thing as a standard CS tele? And what might it's SH price be roughly?
  • austint01 said:
    This is exactly the info I was hoping for. Many thanks to the collective forum wisdom.

I'm struggling to get a feel for used custom shop tele prices online. Do they vary wildly depending on their spec? Is there such a thing as a standard CS tele? And what might it's SH price be roughly?
    There are some 'modern spec' CS Teles - I'm not an expert on the model names but they've never done a 'Standard' to the best of my knowledge.

Where Custom Shop guitars really score is in providing vintage style features/appearance, with better playability. Used they aren't cheap - but they hold their value well, should you ever wish to sell.

Mark @Guitars4you knows all there is to know about them - well worth getting in touch with him. He also sold my McCarty - even after paying commission, I got a fair bit more than the figure you're thinking of.
  • @richardhomer Thanks. I'll have a word.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    austint01 said:
    @richardhomer Thanks. I'll have a word.
    call me when you get 2 mins if you want a chat about it - better this way as against a 'war and peace' reply
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Dealers like Coda get rinds with the same radius as a PRS. Nocaster pickups are a very good thing too.