MIDI Guitar options?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
Any one using guitar for playing MIDI instruments etc?
Any recommendations for the different systems. I was looking a the YouRock guitar but build-wise it looks a bit like a toy.

What methods are you MIDI guys using?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    In the days when I needed to use midi I fitted a piezo bridge and a Graphtech Hexpander board into my guitar. http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost Current band has a keyboard player, so I haven't used midi in years.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Graphtec on mine too.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I'm using a Roland GK3a into a Gr20. I was mighty impressed with @sweepy 's Fishman (IIRC) system - one issue with the GK3a is a poor pickup on the low E string at some frequencies, leading to tracking difficulties using some sounds and they system he had was brilliant in this regard, plus it was cordless!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    So far the best system I have used is the Fishman Tripleplay, nothing else comes close. I've used the Roland systems and also Godin and the old Casio MG system . The acid test of any guitar to midi setup is the ability to track the slow E and A, this is what made Jennifer Batten switch to it and also clinched it for me 
    As I see you are in the West Midlands, you are more than welcome to have a good sit down with the Fishman, I have it hooked to my Mac running Kontakt 
  • Depends if this is a 'whim' - or a long-term commitment....

I have a spare Strat with a GK2 which I use with an old GR33. Its 'okay' for adding some keys-like parts to recordings (strings in particular) - but it's a pretty clunky technology.

The plus side is you can pick this kind of thing up used for very little money - so if you want a dabble, it's a cost-effective way of accessing some other sounds.

I'm sure newer alternatives will be better - the Tripleplay looks like a really neat solution - but you'll lose a significant amount of money if you buy new and sell it on quickly.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/fishman_triple_play.htm?ref=search_prv_7

The price certainly has come down, mine was nearly £400 when I bought it a couple of yrs ago
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3273
    edited November 2016
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • richhrichh Frets: 460
    Best I've used is Godin xTSA guitar with built in synth pickup, into Axon AX100 Mk II.  This has built in sound banks which are okay, not great.  But I prefer to then MIDI out from the Axon to an external module, which sounds great, tracks great!

I still have this setup, but there may be better things available now, I'm really not up to date with this.  I don't think the Axon is made any more, sadly too niche a market to really be viable for most companies.
  • Agreed on the Axon. The ability to split strings and frets into different patches really is an amazing feature. I also used the GR20 which is great live for expanding the sound of rhythm parts.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    If it's just for recording MIDI parts into a sequencer a Roland GK2a pickup into the old Roland DI10 I think it's called, has worked for me in the past. Although I would say up to a point as unless you get the inversions right, it doesn't sound like a keyboard. However, you can choose your voicings to suit the parts you're recording. These things crop up on ebay for peanuts these days, and are great if you have VSTis or hardware MIDI synths.

Mind you, I eventually gave up and went back to using a keyboard to input MIDI into Cubase, As long as you get your music played in reasonably accurately - as far as timing goes - you can tighten it up in the edit by shifting bum notes and slight timing inaccuracies. I just find it's more straightforward to use than the MIDI from the guitar. 

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    GK3 and a GR 55. I'm still trying to get to grips with it but having fun. I've got an internal GK kit and am in the process of working which guitar to install it in.
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    impmann said:
    I'm using a Roland GK3a into a Gr20. I was mighty impressed with @sweepy 's Fishman (IIRC) system - one issue with the GK3a is a poor pickup on the low E string at some frequencies, leading to tracking difficulties using some sounds and they system he had was brilliant in this regard, plus it was cordless!
    If the GR20 can transpose then tune the bottom three strings an octave higher and then transpose them back down.  I do this with a VG99 and it completely solves the tracking problems with the GK3.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6545
    The Fishman - it only works into a computer - is that right?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    GK3 has limitations as explained, but the bigger challenge is playing in the style of the instrument. For example, good sax sound requires a lot of practice to sound authentic and articulate, and you need a guitar with an excellent tremolo, e.g. a Floyd Rose, to get an authentic vibrato on the long notes.
    Yes the Fishman needs a laptop as it uses a USB receiver/dongle 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6545
    sweepy said:
    Thanks for confirming. If there was one that worked standalone and had a standard MIDI output, I'd definitely try it.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    edited November 2016
    goldtop said:
    sweepy said:
    Thanks for confirming. If there was one that worked standalone and had a standard MIDI output, I'd definitely try it.

I think if you get the Foot Controller you can use standard MIDI.

http://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/tripleplay-fc-1-controller/