Are Volume Pots Noisier When Using Wireless?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
edited November 2016 in Guitar
I've noticed with my wireless system, the turning up of my Guitars Vol. Pots from 0 to "On" is much more present through the amp. When plugged into the amp with a cable it's pretty much silent.

Is this signal sound normal with wireless?

I should say, it's not a noise that persists, it's just at the moment of turning the signal on with the Vol Pot.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    Your wireless transmitter has a tiny DC voltage leak to the input, almost certainly. Any DC voltage on the pot makes it scratchy when turning it.

There should be a blocking cap on the input stage of the wireless but it may be faulty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Your wireless transmitter has a tiny DC voltage leak to the input, almost certainly. Any DC voltage on the pot makes it scratchy when turning it.

There should be a blocking cap on the input stage of the wireless but it may be faulty.

Thanks @ICBM ;

Is this blocking cap inside the unit? Not something I should tamper with? There's nothing externally near the input. Could this damage my amps with continued use? If so I'll stop using it.

Not sure if it's the same issue, but it's always been noisy(extremely) with my Suhr Rufus Fuzz, so I stopped using the Fuzz with the wireless almost instantly. I did assume that was due to the nature of simple Fuzz circuits though and that Fuzz + Wireless = Noise. 

I'm not used to these things I guess I didn't notice this latest issue until it became apparent to me, didn't register at first.

I have grounds to return it to manufacturer you reckon, it must be faulty?

Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    Bellycaster said:

Is this blocking cap inside the unit?
    Yes.
    Bellycaster said:

Not something I should tamper with?
    Probably not unless you're handy at fairly small-scale electronics repair!
    Bellycaster said:

Could this damage my amps with continued use?
    No. The only effect will be on the guitar volume pot, and even then it won't cause any damage, just make it noisy.
    Bellycaster said:

Not sure if it's the same issue, but it's always been noisy(extremely) with my Suhr Rufus Fuzz, so I stopped using the Fuzz with the wireless almost instantly. I did assume that was due to the nature of simple Fuzz circuits though and that Fuzz + Wireless = Noise.
    Possibly - depending on how the fuzz is designed. It may simply be that it doesn't like a low-impedance source connected to it - the wireless receiver is one.
    I have grounds to return it to manufacturer you reckon, it must be faulty?
    Possibly - a DC leak from the input which makes the guitar volume noisy would count as a fault to me. Whether it's serious enough for them to admit that and replace it, I don't know. It's also possible that a replacement unit could do it too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ICBM ;

I'll contact them
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    I've got a smoothhound wireless and don't notice any scratchiness...