stopping straps coming off (without straplocks)

What's Hot
I have a 60's 330 with the original small strap buttons. My straps aren't crazily thick, but they are thick-sh, and there isn't enough room to secure something like the grolsch rubber seal to stop them pinging off. Got away with it so far as the strap was new and stiff, but today, it came off. 

Any ideas how to prevent this happening again - don't really want to fit straplox?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    edited November 2016
    These work well. I use them with a thick leather strap on my vintage Rickenbacker buttons.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/dunlop-7036-strap-lock-each?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA39_BBRD0w-_rmOrc__8BEiQA-ETxXXsMMVhr5o0uvHnoq6ncp0Q1ZEggTJgeNFQou9R4ZL4aAof78P8HAQ

They're thin enough to fit under the rim of the button even with a fairly thick strap and they squeeze it down a bit further as they tighten. Takes some force to turn them, but that's good as it reduces the chance of coming undone by itself.

I much prefer them to any metal straplock system.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    The Gibson buttons are tiny and a liability with a soft strap.
    The Dunlop buttons are my favourite solution - even though they are ready to take a straplock , they work brilliantly without as a simple button with a larger head size to keep straps in place, and their screws are the same thread size as the Gibson ones which is great as you don't inflict any damage to the guitar.

I like them so much that I do sell them on their own without the strap fittings

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jim-Dunlop-Straplok-Straplock-ready-buttons-dual-design-new-/170658783732?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Swap the strap buttons out for oversized ones. I've done that to my LP, dead easy and it works a treat. Axesrus sell them. 
  • Thanks chaps, I managed to find one of those plastic jobs that seems to do the trick, but @FelineGuitars - are those the standard straplocks? On my last gibson, the original screws wouldn't go through the hole so had to use the ones that came with the straplocks and a matchstick - not ideal. Still have some of those knocking about as well somewhere. Cheers

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Yes these are the Dunlop straplock ready dual style buttons - and these are the screws supplied with them . They have a special reduced head size so they fit the inside of the button. The original screws from the guitar won't go through these , but I have found that usually the threadis the same unless Gibson were using unusually large screws on the guitar.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Yes these are the Dunlop straplock ready dual style buttons - and these are the screws supplied with them . They have a special reduced head size so they fit the inside of the button. The original screws from the guitar won't go through these , but I have found that usually the threadis the same unless Gibson were using unusually large screws on the guitar.
    They do for the rear one on Les Pauls, although I think a 330 will have two of the smaller ones. This has always been a problem when fitting straplocks to Les Pauls in my experience.

That said I see nothing wrong in packing the original hole if necessary. I use actual mahogany, if the body is. A felt washer should stop the straplock button marking the finish.

Even at that I prefer to use the original buttons and the plastic locks though - if they're good enough for Mark Knopfler with his '58 Les Paul then they're good enough.

http://www.mk-guitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/les-paul-1958-1jpg.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I use the Dunlop locks but sometimes use the original screws from the guitar if they are longer.
    If the screw head is too big, a couple of spins in a drill against a decent file will take just enough off to get inside the Dunlop, but still leave enough to work with the original.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I don't think there is any need to change the strap buttons on a vintage Gibson Guitar. (Or any guitar IMO).

I use the Planet Waves Planet Lock strap which works perfectly on a Les Paul.
    Unfortunately (and despite my promptings) they have still not brought our a version with one of the ends reversed (for an SG or ES guitar) so in this case I favour the Dunlop plastic locks.

As ICBM  has pointed out, MK is using the Dunlop lock to stop a guitar worth half a million pounds from falling on the floor. =)

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8091

httpassetscharmingshoppescomisimageLaneBryantpr_107922_I9_ALT1product_mainwid354hei460op_sharpen1ivXSXfQ3wid1416hei1840fitfit1

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 667
    ICBM said:
    These work well. I use them with a thick leather strap on my vintage Rickenbacker buttons.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/dunlop-7036-strap-lock-each?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA39_BBRD0w-_rmOrc__8BEiQA-ETxXXsMMVhr5o0uvHnoq6ncp0Q1ZEggTJgeNFQou9R4ZL4aAof78P8HAQ

They're thin enough to fit under the rim of the button even with a fairly thick strap and they squeeze it down a bit further as they tighten. Takes some force to turn them, but that's good as it reduces the chance of coming undone by itself.

These, I use them on everything.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 667
    ICBM said:

These, I use them on everything.