Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom shop juniors and PRICES see page 4 :)

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    hootsmon said:

are the CS juniors like the LPs...you know various LP years 57 58 59s

do Gibson have a selection of juniors from different years too?

No, the Custom Shop do a '57 Single Cut or a '59 DC which (i think) is the rarer of the two.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    monoamine said:
    I think honestly for the price of a custom shop junior (approaching £2k if I am not too far off), you might consider saving a bit more and hunting for a vintage 57-60 junior. I did exactly that and think the extra investment really paid off... but then again I might have gotten lucky with mine.
    Good Advice.

And you did get lucky didn't you? Tell us about the amazing guy you bought your vintage junior off... ;-)

(formerly miserneil)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16067
    what year Mono....and how much bread did you pay
    tae be or not tae be
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    miserneil said:
    monoamine said:
    I think honestly for the price of a custom shop junior (approaching £2k if I am not too far off), you might consider saving a bit more and hunting for a vintage 57-60 junior. I did exactly that and think the extra investment really paid off... but then again I might have gotten lucky with mine.
    Good Advice.

And you did get lucky didn't you? Tell us about the amazing guy you bought your vintage junior off... ;-)

I heard he was one of these eBay buy em low and sell em high bedroom warriors...

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited November 2016
    Yer he was aright geezer... had a load of stripped vintage guitars in his front room, tried to ask me for more than the agreed price when I got there. Real piece of work 

Bread-wise... aim for the £4k mark. Yes, it is a lot more than a CS junior, so be sure you like p90s/juniors... perhaps by getting a standard/CS model first if yous ain't sures
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16067
    Ta Mono  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exorcist said:
    Yep. pretty much expected that kinda response. I'll try better to explain.

@merlin I understand what your saying about a genuine 50's Jr, but we are talking about a new production CS, and isn't that "little black box with the wires" the same on the CS model as the production model? AFAIK its the same pickup?

So the wood, yep I imagine they source better wood, and 1 piece bodies, but I really doubt on a Junior you could hear the difference. Maybe the tone caps might be better or something, as for the fretboard and tuners, that's a feel thing, and I guess some might prefer the CS, but blindfolded I wouldn't be suprised if people couldn't tell the difference between standard JR and CS Junior unless they had played them both previously. 

I get it for Les Paul Standards/CS R9's R8's and such, there is a fair amount going on with that guitar, and the little extras add up a fair amount and can be worth the money to some people. But a junior is really a simple stripped down guitar. I really think your paying to own a custom shop, and fair enough, finish and quality control will be much more consistent. But I still don't think it is going to be better, just different and 'historically correct'.  I bet cranked up mine will sound just as good. IMHO

Just for the record, I've been around guitars for a long time, I own vintage guitars with honduran mahogany bodies, and CS Gibsons (not LP's) and I've lost count of the LP's I've played over the years.

and @SidNewton that's really is a terrible analogy, no offence, but what has the speed of an 80's hot hatch got to do with a Les Paul Junior? Of course there are faster cars? I really don't get it? Are you saying I'm saying a LPJ is the best guitar in the world or something? Its an LPJ - Maybe what your friend was sayin was not to give him another mk2 GTI for twice the price because it was sprayed a vintage color and used vintage leather for the seats.

Anyway, its just my opinion :)
    It's a perfectly good analogy. You cant imagine anything better than your 2010 junior, he couldn't imagine anything quicker than a GTi.
    Seriously, go and try one. I'd be interested in your thoughts afterwards.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    With all due respect @Exorcist it sounds like you've made your mind up about them already. I thought @SidNewton was bang on the money fwiw.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    Maybe you misunderstand me, I can't imagine a CS junior, being much better than my production, I'm not saying nothing is better than my 2010, I'm just saying just because it is more than twice the price, and is from the CS does not mean its a distictly better playing or sounding guitar? Its the same pickup, and its a slap of mahogany. Juniors are gloriously stripped down guitars, that is their beauty is it not? I  think 'oxymoronic' summed it up nicely, they were never meant to be expensive CS guitars.. Its subjective I know, so you may prefer the neck on a custom shop? The CS make great guitars, the full fat LP's are quite different from standards, but I honestly don't think CS juniors are. It will be so small to be negligible IMHO.

And sorry but the analogy IS all wrong, how can you not imagine a faster car? I'm not comparing a Junior to any other guitar..

(I'm not talking about vintage Juniors - just new CS)

But you know what, I'm not going to convince you and that's fine - its nice to have different views, but some of the comments like the car analogy and 'little black box with magnets and wires' are implying I'm saying something stupid, when I am really not.
    @miserneil no worries - I would love to try one. I still think when it comes to juniors and CS its a bit of cork sniffing, but maybe I'll be proved wrong. I can't believe you think that analogy is bang on though? Seriously?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    There have been various C/Shop LP Junior and Specials based on different models from the golden era - Typical Gibson in that they add a model, drop a model and I can't recall any Junior or Specials in the last 2 or 3 years from the Custom Shop - I've just got a nice 1960 LP Special just arrived in faded cherry - with the neck pick-up moved away from the butt of the fingerboard, so as to reinforce the neck/body join

Again, as far as production model Specials and Juniors they have released various formats over the years - Some better than others - Some with wrapover bridge units, some with 2 piece bridge and tailpiece - Some with modern tuners, some vintage - Some with P90 and some with P100 pick-ups - as such some better than others - Most are in the style of, rather than a DNA copy of

IMO a C/Shop is a superior guitar in many ways than a production guitar - Is it £1000/1500 better ? - your shout
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @guitars4you "IMO a C/Shop is a superior guitar in many ways than a production guitar - Is it £1000/1500 better ? - your shout" 

I agree in 99% of the cases, just not so much a Junior. I just hope they don't start making CS melody makers!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    Exorcist said:

I agree in 99% of the cases, just not so much a Junior. I just hope they don't start making CS melody makers!
    don't think there is much chance of that as original models are still effectively cheap and I dare say a C/Shop model would work out more expensive than an original version - many good examples still under 1K
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Don't give em ideas, Exorcist!
     :) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Exorcist said:
    Maybe you misunderstand me, I can't imagine a CS junior, being much better than my production, I'm not saying nothing is better than my 2010, I'm just saying just because it is more than twice the price, and is from the CS does not mean its a distictly better playing or sounding guitar? Its the same pickup, and its a slap of mahogany. Juniors are gloriously stripped down guitars, that is their beauty is it not? I  think 'oxymoronic' summed it up nicely, they were never meant to be expensive CS guitars.. Its subjective I know, so you may prefer the neck on a custom shop? The CS make great guitars, the full fat LP's are quite different from standards, but I honestly don't think CS juniors are. It will be so small to be negligible IMHO.

And sorry but the analogy IS all wrong, how can you not imagine a faster car? I'm not comparing a Junior to any other guitar..

But you know what, I'm not going to convince you and that's fine - its nice to have different views, but some of the comments like the car analogy and 'little black box with magnets and wires' are implying I'm saying something stupid, when I am really not.
    Fair enough fella, my initial post wasn't intended as a dig or anything.
    I would still implore you try one if you get the chance. The one I played was superb and I still regret not being able to walk out the shop with it.
    @SidNewton no worries mate, no offence intended - I'll let you know if I ever get to try one. :)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    Exorcist said:

Sorry Exorcist. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were saying something stupid but like others here, I just think that opening up and trying a few might change your mind. All I was saying was that one slab of wood and another might be totally different, one little black box might be totally different to another. The only way to find out is to grab one and play it! 
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    It's all good @Exorcist, I don't think anyone is having a go, as @Merlin says, the only way to find out is to try one yourself.

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom