Tele Pups

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
Right, planning ahead for my partsocaster build (started in Making & Modding)

I've got a @GSPBASSES Obeche body and a maple/rosewood neck. Going to finish in Daphne Blue with matching headstock - nitro on the way from the fab @SteveRobinson ;

I've never owned a Tele before *blushes* and so I don't even know where to start with pickups. I know my Gibson Onions and if it were a LP build I'd be clicking 'add to cart' already. But there's just so many Tele options... urrggh!

Question 1: Tele or Esquire?
Question 2: Given the above, which pickups?

Now, given I've never possessed a Tele before I have no reference point to give a starter for you as to the kind of sound I want. I think I want a neutral starting point - nothing to raucous, nothing too bland - just something that makes a Tele sound unique.

Most popular choice gets bought and lobbed in.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've made a few partscasters (tele & esquire) the esquire wiring is always tempting but I find you always miss not having that neck pickup when you dont physically have it so I would go tele style.

In terms of pickups I love the GFS Fatboy for the bridge (plus its bloody cheap!) and an SD Quarter Pounder for the neck. Apart from the CS Fender Tele I had those two are the best pickups Ive ever found in a tele but thats purely because they suit my taste more than anything

good luck and get some pics uploaded of the build 

How very rock and roll
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Tele for me - neck pick up man, so why not take that option

Bridge is easy for me - Broadcaster based from early 50's - flat polepieces - balls, body and twang, edge and bite

Neck - I like the melodic nature of a 63 yet also an early 50's Nocaster - I'm also a fan of a Twisted Tele, but unless you go used, Fender Custom Shop don't sell them (effectively a Strat pick-up in a Tele casing) - Chucking something else in the pot, a TV Jones Classic works or me

Good package I fitted a fewweeks ago on a Nash-Caster was the Oil City Honky Tonk Angel - worked fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a monstrous 18k P90-alike from Oil City in my Jaden Rose Tele. Most likely not what you're aiming at, but it's great for heavy rock and metal :D
    <space for hire>
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    Don Mare pickups from the USA ...best i have heard by some distance any set from him would be killer, i have a set from him in my strat and tele...the tele bridge is tapped which works brilliantly and the neck is a nocaster type
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    I've had BK Brown Sugars, Kinman Broadcasters, but my fav of the lot is the BK The Boss set. The reason I mention this is that I was looking for something very close to what you describe - good all rounders; not too hot, not too weak. Nice and ballsy, but still lots of detail.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2481
    Oil City Wapping Wharf for the bridge: It has classic Tele twang in the tapped position then a fuller but distinct Tele sound when untapped. If I added a neck pickup to my Esquire I'd be very tempted to use a TV Jones Classic, as suggested by @guitars4you. It depends how traditional you want to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    Jimbro66 said:
    Oil City Wapping Wharf for the bridge: It has classic Tele twang in the tapped position then a fuller but distinct Tele sound when untapped.....
    This gives you both the 50s and 60s Tele bridge sound. What you choose for the neck is a matter of taste: traditional bland Tele, P90, TV Jones, humbucker etc. Personally I like an Oil City Californian. It covers a number of bases, and also parallels [is that a verb?] nicely with the Wapping Wharf for an "in-between" sound.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Whapping Wharf + TV Jones is pretty much the perfect Tele Pickup selection. 
  • I've got an Oil City FortyNiner in my Esquire (I have one of Ashs harnesses in there too). It's brilliant- has the tele twang, but with a bit more "oomph" when needed. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    mgaw said:
    Don Mare pickups from the USA ...best i have heard by some distance any set from him would be killer, i have a set from him in my strat and tele...the tele bridge is tapped which works brilliantly and the neck is a nocaster type
    I have Don Mare pickups in one of my Telecasters. They really are very nice indeed but I don't know if they are any better than similar pickups from say @Mojopickups ;
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

I'm floating towards esquire - try it, then move to tele with a new pick guard later.

Don Mare looks like a proper crazy guy - if he weren't in the US and it would take 2 years to get here and customs would be excessive I'd get one just cos I want some of his crazy in my playing!! :)

However, given that, looks like I'm going for esquire bridge, and probably trad wiring for it for now...?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    I've got an Oil City FortyNiner in my Esquire (I have one of Ashs harnesses in there too). It's brilliant- has the tele twang, but with a bit more "oomph" when needed. 
    My main guitar has a FortyNiner, but I'm going back to Wapping Wharf for the next build
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader

I'm floating towards esquire - try it, then move to tele with a new pick guard later.

Don Mare looks like a proper crazy guy - if he weren't in the US and it would take 2 years to get here and customs would be excessive I'd get one just cos I want some of his crazy in my playing!! :)

However, given that, looks like I'm going for esquire bridge, and probably trad wiring for it for now...?
    ref Customs - won't it go in a jiffy bag as spare parts with nominal value and as such little/no duty ????? - not sue latest on this
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584

ref Customs - won't it go in a jiffy bag as spare parts with nominal value and as such little/no duty ????? - not sue latest on this
    Depends on what the maker declares it as...