PAF's for consideration?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I've decided my Les Paul needs a set of PAF style pickups and am pretty set on the OX4's but are there others I should be considering in that price bracket? I've really liked what I've heard from the OX4's but am clueless as to other PAF's I should be listening to, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rules of PAF buying.

1. Youtube is not a good way to differentiate between what sounds good. Too many variables in recording and personal bias from playing style and amplification etc.

2. There is no 'best.' There are literally hundreds of options.

3. More expensive doesn't always mean more attention to detail or better production. So much snake oil in the Les Paul game.

My best advice is to take a long hard look at pickups you have already played or owned and try and work out what you liked about them. A lot of it will come down to the magnet inside, which can be swapped around for £5 a pop, so always consider that an option.

I have tried Wizz's, Shed's, Bareknuckles and Oil Cities to name a few. Long story short, go for middle ground price bracket because it is dinishing returns above it, in my experience.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't know OX4's at all. How much do you want to spend?  Throbaks are very, very, nice, but they ain't cheap, particularly with the way the Pound is against the Dollar.
  • richhrichh Frets: 459
    You may have seen this recent thread? http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91137/

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited December 2016
    richh said:
    You may have seen this recent thread? http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91137/

Thanks for that, no I hadn't seen that thread so my apologies for yet another thread on the same subject!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

As above, there are loads of options, my personal favourites:

Deacci LP59 1's

Bare Knuckle Story Mondays

Peter Florence Voodoo 59's

There's loads I've tried that I didn't like as much, and loads I haven't that I would probably love

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Have a listen to as many as you can

These are what I use 

Mojo pickups would be first because I haven't had a bad pickup yet, great prices too 

I've recently tried  montys guitars pafs and bloody love them in my guitar and staying 

I've used bare knuckle mules but not paf like to me and i hated the neck so much I had it rewound by shed pickups

If Spence is working properly they're great pickups, I have heard people moan about wait times 

As long as they're clear as a bell it's down to flavours imo

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I've done as much searching as possible and still seem to come full circle back to the OX4's so I'm going to give them a whirl, thank you for your suggestions/help.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4264
    It would be interesting to hear your opinions on the OX4
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4264
    It would be interesting to hear your opinions on the OX4
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Having recently watched That Pedal Show feature Dan's R8, which I believe has OX4 pickups, that's what I'd go for. Just about the best sounding LP I've ever seen I need any video on t'interweb.