Faulty Delay Advice..?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6931
I have a Boss delay pedal..DD3 I think...(which I bought second hand from the guitar shop in Newcastle that Jimmy Nail's character Spender used to frequent in the series of the same name, fact fans)

It has decided to stop working, in that a signal goes through it fine, the LED goes on and off to show the pedal is engaged or not, but ....no delayed notes are being added to the signal, no effect whatsoever as if the pedal was never even there.

As an absolute pedal noob but as someone with (a) no money to get it fixed properly (b) a back up delay anyway and (c) a soldering iron to hand and an ability to follow idiot-proof instructions.. is there anything obvious I could check for?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited January 2014
    It's probably the delay chip that's died. They do that sometimes, sadly… not easy to fix even if you can solder well. I have one here which the owner refused the estimate on with that fault, and just gave me the dead pedal - and I can't really be bothered to do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks ICBM. I think I got my £80 worth out of it, seeing as I bought it, I think, in my second year at Newcastle Uni, and I shall turn 41 in May and it's been gigged extensively since..!

Will have to see if anyone out there needs it for spares and repairs. Would make a good paperweight, though..

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    If it's that old, is it the 'big chip' version? (Take the bottom off and if it is you'll see two rows of pins right across the board.) Those are quite sought-after and someone may want it for spares/repair on Ebay even if it's the chip that's died.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Alas no, just had the bottom off and it's the newer version. Worth a try though, thanks for the info!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    How sad. But a on a brighter note you'll be looking for a delay pedal and there might be somebody down the road trying to sell one...
    ;)

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd suggest spending a a day in a recording studio playing the pedal ... if the delay is broken it might be repeating notes before the original note was played :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?