I got a shock at band practice

What's Hot
MtBMtB Frets: 922
edited December 2016 in Guitar
Not sure whether this is the correct place for this thread, but I need to know what's happened.

Went to band practice today to the usual place, and I play guitar and sing in the band. Plugged my mic lead into the PA, no probs. About 15 minutes before the end of the (4 hour) session and I got an electric shock from the mic to my lips - not a big shock, but it made me jump. Then every time that I went to touch the mic subsequently I got shocked again.

Is it a problem with the PA / the Mic / the cable?

Any ideas what's at fault? The shock seemed to be worse when I was touching the guitar strings.

Help! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 459
    Use an RCD - residual current detector.  The clever guys will give you the technical details, but this could potentially be very dangerous, so a £20 RCD to guard has got to be worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a static type shock off a rehearsal room mic. Not a big shock but catches you by surprise. Sounds the same as yours. I don't know what caused it either. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Shock, or ground loop?
    Did it feel sharp, or dull?
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Sharp - it made me jump.
  • Seen plenty of this in pubs with crap electrics. Earthing issue with the building I think.. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    The PA is not earthed properly - the fault is more likely in the wall wiring than the PA, although it could be the plug on the power cable. If you haven't already, report it to the studio management.

It's unlikely to be actively dangerous - you'd know about it more than a mildly unpleasant tingle if the mic was actually live - but it does mean that it could potentially become so if something else goes wrong.

The reason it's worse if you're touching your guitar strings is because your amp and guitar are earthed, and hence provide the best leakage path to earth, via you. This is what becomes extremely dangerous if the PA does become fully live.

Unfortunately an RCD may not help because it won't remove the earth connections. It depends where the leak is coming from as to whether it does anything or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had this happen once.  Turned out the earth in the amp had got disconnected. 5 mins with a screwdriver and soldering iron, no more shocks.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    I had it happen and it turned out the earth had broken on an extension lead.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    thought you were gonner say that the drummer played in time  and the singer came in at the right place!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Those are the kind of shocks you don't recover from....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom