Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Fender Pro Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Stratocaster/Telecaster

What's Hot

Comments

• This thread is a great example of why guitar companies can do no right on guitar forums.

I think these look good, they address some of the common complaints with modern Fenders, are USA made and not *too* much more expensive than stds, with a range of decent / interesting colours, yet still they're 'wrong' before anyone has ever played one :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    A proper modern JM would have...

22frets
    9in rad
    A push fit arm with a collar
    A bridge solution similar to the Staytrem or Mastery - so far Fender have totally got that wrong
    Slightly hotter bridge pickup
    Switch in the original place
    Truss Rod adjustment (biflex) at the headstock
    Locking machine heads
    Low friction nut

Fender just don't seem to understand what JM players like about the design. 

Also, tall frets send alarm bells ringing... I've had problems with some players who struggle with intonation issues with tall frets. It's like scalloping without the woodwork on some guitars. I know it's a technique thing but why alienate some players?

The switch - if you look at a lot of classic Jazzmaster players you'll find they struggled with knocking the rythmn switch, leading to some taking the circuit out completely or some gaffa taping the switch up. So putting the selector switch there is bloody stupid - because of the way a JM hangs, it's not convenient like a Les Paul. 

Screw EE in trem arms. When will Fender ever learn about these? Slop in the threaded section is always a problem on Fenders and the nylon bush solution solved it 100% so why are Fender still pissing about with soppy little springs in the base of their arms that go missing and don't work as well. I had a CP Jazzmaster and the screw in arm creaked and groaned every time you moved the arm, even once greased. It also had excessive slop. Frankly it was dreadful. 

@MattFGBI sorry bud, but this is all
    old news. I'm amazed that anyone from Fender *doesn't* understand this stuff. And I'm damn sure this has been raised before on here and I said similar...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 521
    Anyone know what happened to the H H telecasters? No videos, not in new marketing shots? @MattFGBI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread is a great example of why guitar companies can do no right on guitar forums.

I think these look good, they address some of the common complaints with modern Fenders, are USA made and not *too* much more expensive than stds, with a range of decent / interesting colours, yet still they're 'wrong' before anyone has ever played one :)
    I wouldn't go that far but look at the jazzmaster, it's never had a standard model.

We've had blacktops, mascis models, classic players, the new Mexican things, squier, humbuckers with hard tails, strat jack sockets and additional assortments of configurations that aren't quite right. 

The AVRI was the only exception but that's a vintage reproduction (and for me not that great)

All the offset world has wanted is a USA jazzmaster standard. 9.5" radius, 22 frets, a fixed fucking bridge that isn't a cheap nasty TOM, modern voiced pickups, headstock adjustable truss rod (@impmann has summed it all up above)

Fender have a whole website over at OSG dedicated to offsets. It takes fuck all effort to start a thread there to get this ironed out. (OSG have loads of these threads anyway)

And @impmann hit the nail on the head with the toggle switch.

Rant over
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    edited December 2016
    So this one with 9.5" radius, 22 frets, slightly hotter modernish pickups, a revised bridge design that isn't a TOM, and headstock end truss adjuster is somehow completely wrong? Seems like it does pretty much everything in your lists bar the switch placement and possibly the arm mounting, though we don't know whether that is a defect or not.

I think that proves my point! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, the Jazzmaster should have:
      Staytrem style bridge. It works just how it should. I like it floating.
     9.5" radius. Although I get on with 7.25" just fine, the former edges it on playability. I'd buy both though. I have both.
    Trem arm taller. It's just too close to the fretboard and I keep having to make my own.
    Different pot values. 1M is way too shrill.
     Truss rod adjustment at the headstock. Ok, it doesn't look as nice, but it's much more practical. Again, not a deal breaker for me.

Other than that, a decent choice of colours.

The number of frets isn't that big a deal for me, as I rarely venture all the way up that end. If it doesn't affect the sound, and I can't imagine why it should, I wouldn't object.
    I wouldn't buy a Jazzmaster or Jaguar  with a fixed bridge. I love the feel of the original and it's the only trem system I really get on with. Losing that would be a deal breaker for me.
    I'm also in the vintage-voiced pickup camp, so wouldn't want them buggered around with too much.
     Oh, and keep the maple off the fretboard. It's just wrong.

I suppose what I'm saying is that Fender more or less got it right first time and the constant tweaks they keep making are not the right ones. Stop making Jazzmasters and Jaguars for people that don't like them and concentrate on making them for people who do!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    The Tele Deluxe is coming. Loaded with the new Shawbuckers. Will be in the shops soon. 

I understand that people have strong opinions on what spec works and what doesn't but I'd recommend playing them before making your mind up. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @MattFGBI  I will, but having played offsets for some time, I know the switch is in the wrong place, I won't like a screwfit arm and the bridge posts will need glue on the threads to stop the adjusters from slackening... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Jaguars and jazzmasters are the cause of third world poverty. Set them all on fire.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Outside, now! ;-)
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Outside, now! ;-)
    A duel !

Back to back, 10 paces and then spin around and give it your best riff and guitar face.
    I want Video of this !

:)
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 794
    edited December 2016
    impmann said:
    @MattFGBI  I will, but having played offsets for some time, I know the switch is in the wrong place, I won't like a screwfit arm and the bridge posts will need glue on the threads to stop the adjusters from slackening... 
    to be fair, my AV65 jag bridge did not slacken even slightly in over 18 months before I got a staytrem, so maybe Fender have addressed the issue already, and screw-in trems aren't the end of the world - staytrem it if the rest of the spec works. I really think people are getting upset about a switch in the wrong place and not much else. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, the switch being in the wrong place, the missing rhythm circuit (and the body not being routed for it, if the pics over at OSG are anything to go by) and the wrong neck.
     Apart from that.....
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    That sounds lot like an AV65, they need to differentiate them and modernise - I don't blame them for missing out the rhythm controls. Every other JM has them so if that's what you want from an Offset there are more than enough options. What's wrong with the neck? 22 frets? Do people want a modern Jazzmaster without some of the modern features?

I think it's getting to the point that people are upset that their personal ideal Jazzmaster hasn't been made. Of course this is going to not quite be a vintage Jazzmaster but with very specific upgrades, it's a modern Jazzmaster for people looking around the AV65 price point but wanting a more modern vibe. The string spacing may not be ideal, and like I said the switch was fine in its original place, but the rest of it is perfectly sensible, if not for everyone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    Well, the switch being in the wrong place, the missing rhythm circuit (and the body not being routed for it, if the pics over at OSG are anything to go by) and the wrong neck.
     Apart from that.....
    I believe that's a picture of an American Special Jazzmaster, not the new Pro.
    impmann said:
    to be fair, my AV65 jag bridge did not slacken even slightly in over 18 months before I got a staytrem, so maybe Fender have addressed the issue already, and screw-in trems aren't the end of the world - staytrem it if the rest of the spec works. I really think people are getting upset about a switch in the wrong place and not much else. 
    Glad it worked out for you - perhaps my technique makes that phenomenon worse. Or perhaps your bridge had been doctored slightly before you got it - the AV65 bridge was the same as the bridge on the AVRI62. I had one of those... 

Screw in arms *ARE* the end of the world if you play with subtle hand vibrato - as they clank and creak on JM/Jags, which is then amplified by the strings behind the bridge and it sounds awful. Despite all the "tricks" people talk of with this it was still shockingly bad on the Classic Player I had. On a guitar costing this much and called "professional" it shouldn't have such a flawed design - and its just there for cheapness. If they can fit Staytrem licensed arms to the Marr Jag, then this should have one IMHO... I'd rather pay £30 extra and have one factory fitted... wouldn't you?

My post - to Matt - was a response to his suggestion to play it, which was a response to his previous email asking for what a modern Jazzmaster ought to be. Perhaps I'm being judgmental - and I will try one - but its clear that the marketing team who dreamed up this guitar did so to try to appeal to non-offset players more than those who already do and wanted something 'professional'. Its another example of "almost" from Fender... and when we are asked for suggestions, we are told to try what they are currently making before being judgemental. 

Its not about 'getting upset' or the other suggestion that folks are just describing their perfect Custom Jazzmaster... I'd also refer to a previous thread where someone built just that, and Matt criticised them for the logo (despite it being none of his business) and others asked why that individual didn't just buy a Fender. Perhaps this goes some way to answering that... I'd love a genuine Fender - truly I would - but nothing currently available ticks the boxes, at ANY price. And I haven't seen a new CS Offset for sale in the UK (other than those examples that have been for sale for ever...) for two years - and I've been watching.

The thing with offsets is, those of us that play them are passionate about them - and the flaws in the design (or quirks, for those who are purists) can be overcome with some reasonably invisible modifications (or changes to technique... or the application of nail varnish). Sadly, Fender keep releasing instruments that solve problems few of us have and fiddling with elements of the design that actually work. And at these prices, I shouldn't need to buy a guitar and instantly replace the bridge and trem arm...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I apologise if 'getting upset' caused offence. Please replace with 'is annoyed by'. 

My jag was bought new, played loads and the bridge was fine, though I appreciate that's anecdotal. It has been noted (again anecdotally) on OSG that the 65 bridge is sturdier and better made than the 62. 

Though I agree - Staytrem-style upgrades to the bridge and trem should have been a no-brainer, especially since there is precedent with the Marr Jag. And I agree, I don't think this is a guitar for Offset purists. Like you say though - some pretty simple mods make a vintage-style JM or jag perfectly playable. I don't think it's a case of 'give them a try' more likely they're just not for you. I bet Fender will sell a load regardless.

Out of interest, If the JM and jag came stock with staytrem bridge/trem and the switch in the right place, would people be happy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    edited December 2016
    impmann said:

And I haven't seen a new CS Offset for sale in the UK (other than those examples that have been for sale for ever...) for two years - and I've been watching.

There are a couple of '61 JMs on Coda that are new (I think).
    Oops! Well those must have arrived since I was last there, as when I last looked they only had that red on with p90s (no thanks).

Thing is... on a personal level, why relics? I'm not a fan and Ocean Turquoise wasn't available in '61, so why team it with a corned beef pickguard? Yuk. The white is ok but again the relic thing ruins it for me... :-) Maybe I'm too fussy...

edited December 2016
    Can't you order something directly from the custom shop, via a dealer (or perhaps not?)

Otherwise the 'custom' might be a bit of a misnomer.