PSA: guitarguitar now doing free delivery to highlands and islands over £50

What's Hot
Not sure if this has already been shared, just got the email through.

Good news. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I live in Edinburgh but I'm Black Isle born and bred, so welcome this by GG
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Hope they're including Northern Ireland as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Hope they're including Northern Ireland as well.
    Yes, as far as I know. Hopefully more will follow.

I know it doesn't cost me any more to ship to mainland UK via royal mail/parcel force, and you'd think big shops could negotiate something with the likes of UPS. I dunno. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I've said this before I know, but I think it should be illegal for a courier that offers a national service to charge different rates for any part of the UK. They already heavily cross-subsidise routes within England, Wales and southern Scotland, and allowing them to charge more for the most expensive routes gives an unfair competitive advantage over Royal Mail.

Not to mention penalising people who live in places which by their very nature are already more expensive to live in and more likely to need to use mail order.

The mail-order business I work for mostly uses standard Royal Mail parcel post and we don't charge more for any part of the UK either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Being originally from the Highlands (Inverness) have to commend GG also 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ICBM said:
    I've said this before I know, but I think it should be illegal for a courier that offers a national service to charge different rates for any part of the UK. They already heavily cross-subsidise routes within England, Wales and southern Scotland, and allowing them to charge more for the most expensive routes gives an unfair competitive advantage over Royal Mail.

Not to mention penalising people who live in places which by their very nature are already more expensive to live in and more likely to need to use mail order.

The mail-order business I work for mostly uses standard Royal Mail parcel post and we don't charge more for any part of the UK either.
    Wisdom :)
  • That's good news. That used to really get on my tits when I lived in Stornoway. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited December 2016
    Totally agree with the sentiment here.

I've moved about a bit but I guess my "home town" is Inverness, although I've lived near Falkirk for 17 years now (nearly half my life) and am now working in Aberdeen. I encounter this regularly - it's often cheaper / free and much faster to have stuff sent home than it is to have it sent to work (or my parents' place) in Aberdeen. This gets my goat too - the definition they use for this additional cost / time. Aberdeen is a very different place to get to than even some of the towns quite nearby, but they blanket all the AB postcodes as if they're in Fraserburgh.

Two examples that I always remember...

1. Buying a new trolley jack on eBay for £25ish - free delivery to home, or £10 "Highlands and Islands" charge to Aberdeen. When I'm spending £25, that additional tenner is a huge hike.

2. Buying an expensive gig bag from a well known guitar / music shop in SE England, next day delivery anywhere in the UK except Highlands and Islands... which took 5 days in total to come to Aberdeen. It sat in Dundee and didn't move for 3 days. One day to get there, one day to get here from Dundee and 3 days sitting in a warehouse.

As a wee aside, Amazon Prime quite often takes 2 days to get up here too but it never misses the next day delivery at home.

I've just accepted all this as part of the deal when you live up this way but I try and plan my ordering enough that I tend to get stuff sent to home to avoid the faff and cost. The only downside is that Mrs. P then sees what I'm buying... D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom