NGD - Telecaster Relic Build

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
edited December 2016 in Guitar
I bagged a body and neck from GSPBASSES - and did a bit of a build thread over in Making & Modding.

Now it's (nearly) done, I thought I'd post the results here - seeing as it's a new guitar to me, and my first Tele (!?!)

It's an obeche body and maple/rosewood neck - and it's 6lb 4oz dripping wet..

All the parts are cheapo no brand from Allparts or the like, and the Nitro is courtesy of the wonderful @SteveRobinson ;;

I relic'd everything from pretty much brand new - some parts I'm really pleased with - others not so much. The whole thing was a learning and experimenting exercise, so it's been really really useful.

I have to get a string tee for the E+B and the nut needs a bit of filing - other than that it's done.

I'm considering lacquer checking it but I need to wait for the nitro to harden before I do. Should I do it, or leave as it is?

Here you go:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1760
    I like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Love the baby blue.

What's going on with the saddles?
  • Daphne Blue? Very nice indeed....
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Looks great!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader
    Nice! 

Let it gas off for a month then get it in the freezer! Authentic checking ahoy :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    thegummy said:
    Love the baby blue.

What's going on with the saddles?
    Apparently they are compensating saddles - I appear to have ordered the bridge with wonky ones ;)

Daphne Blue? Very nice indeed....
    Daphne Blue indeed!
  • Nice work! Would it not make sense to have done lacquer checking before (most of) the relic treatment though?
    Nice work! Would it not make sense to have done lacquer checking before (most of) the relic treatment though?
    I'm experimenting a bit - apparently the dings and cracks applied by my toolbox favourites can help bring it out and a lot of cracks will start from there..

Also, after checking I will prob do a little more light relic'ing as I'm trying to do the damage in the order it would have happened naturally. 

I'm not actually expecting this one to turn out that well TBH as its a proper test bed - things like egg white as grain filler, vinegar for acetic acid ageing and a whole variety of implements and stains for the wood.

The most difficult bit is the obeche - it's like balsa and squishes very easily - in an unnatural way compared to ash etc..
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks fantastic. Lovely colour!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Oh, and I can't wait to see what @WezV does with his matching Black Friday special as well - I suspect it will look a lot more authentic than my effort ;)
  • hoopshoops Frets: 239
    Good job!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Oh, and I can't wait to see what @WezV does with his matching Black Friday special as well - I suspect it will look a lot more authentic than my effort ;)
    Probably not.   I think you have got the wear pretty spot on here.  It suits the colour and hardware choices really well

I will go slightly further.  Mine is definitely going in the freezer, and I just sprayed a coat of tint over the blue with the hardware in place 
    WezV said:
    Probably not.   I think you have got the wear pretty spot on here.  It suits the colour and hardware choices really well

I will go slightly further.  Mine is definitely going in the freezer, and I just sprayed a coat of tint over the blue with the hardware in place 
    Hah! I thought about a light tint over the body with pickguard in place ;)

I will freezer and then reassess I think!

Looking forward to seeing yours!
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1356
    How did you age the new bridge and contols ?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
    Looking nice and I like the colour.
     Whats the relevance to the freezer...is that how you relic laqueur checking?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Ok - hardware is vapour relic'd - you put the parts in a tub and then put the tub in a bath of vinegar: the acetic acid vapour etches and ages the hardware. Very effective. Scrub first with a green scourer and away you go

The freezer is to contract then rapidly expand the lacquer finish - actually the most effective way of doing it is hair dryer then a super cold blast from a fire extinguisher. However freezing then hair drier will give a good subtle effect..
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Voxman said:
    Looking nice and I like the colour.
     Whats the relevance to the freezer...is that how you relic laqueur checking?
    That and the razor blade method are the only semi-realistic ways to check a finish.

freeze sprays will check it, but it will look more like old pottery than guitar lacquer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom