What kind of compressed foam is OK with nitro finishes and where can you buy it? EPDM?

What's Hot
Does anyone know what kind of compressed foam it is that is used on guitar stands that does not react badly with nitro? And where you can buy some in the UK? And is EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) ok to use, if there any chemists on here who understand this stuff, because you can buy that.

If there's been a thread on this before please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You're on the wrong forum : http://www.chemicalforums.com/
  • More seriously, although I haven't done Chemistry for almost 4 years now and I was never really good at it, I think EPDM is unreactive as it is fully saturated.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Modifying the stand case?

Because there's so much conflicting info, I've just taken a stance of not bothering with any types of foam or rubber etc, unless they're wrapped in a fabric, so I would just buy foam and get someone who can sew to make it into what you have in mind, making sure to use a dense quality fabric.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    More seriously, although I haven't done Chemistry for almost 4 years now and I was never really good at it, I think EPDM is unreactive as it is fully saturated.
    It isn't the type of polymer itself so much as the plasticisers that are added to make it flexible. The plasticisers leach out and that's what causes the damage. (I used to be a chemist at ICI)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    One of the greatest old school Hip Hop bands  ever.