Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pmt online... Pointless??

What's Hot
DaneffDaneff Frets: 42
edited December 2016 in Guitar
Just wondering about anyone else's experience really. After perusing the boxing day sales I found what looked to be an excellent deal on a fender American deluxe dimension bass. Down from around £1400 to £699. So I happily ordered with the website saying Newcastle store had one in Stock. 

2 days later order is still saying "processing"  with no contact or anything. So I phone Newcastle, who says online chaps will phone me back soon. An hour later I call online chaps myself and they say they will call me back again in an hour. About 4 hours later I call back again to be told I'll be called at the end of the day and that there is a problem with my order. Apparently the guitar does not exist and it was a stock error but they will see what they can do. They say they will get back to me at end  of the day. Of course they don't. I understand it's a busy time of year n all but just say tomorrow instead of times you cant meet.  

Miraculously I get a call today saying they just don't have any of them to sell. And they have checked all variations and there are none of those to offer either. Im myself looking at pmt website which says there are at least 2 other dimension options available in several stores. The chap goes quiet for a few minutes seemingly doing nothing then says nope, they don't exist. 

So it seems pmt onlines website is entirely fictitious and when purchasing something off it there is no guarantee said guitar exists? And you will have to make all enquiries yourself as to whether it does or not. 

As you can imagine. Very frustrating as anything else in sales will now of been snapped up whilst my money and time was held for nothing. I get the feeling that the discount was 'too good to be true'  and they're just making it up. There's a dimension bass in Stock in Bristol store where I live apparently,  perhaps I'll go see if it exists... 

UPDATE: I phoned a couple of stores in which they confirmed they had the guitars in stock. I phoned online services again who could do nothing but repeat it was a Christmas sale, that guitar doesn't exist and that they can't swap it for an identical model in different colour. So much for "we have no variations of the bass for sale at all". He also said it was probably second hand or display model, which was not mentioned anywhere in the now taken down listing. Ace.
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 461
    edited December 2016
    That sounds rubbish. I've had a similar experience with mountain bike equipment and it's very frustrating.

Are they on trustpilot or anything, feedback on this kind of thing can be helpful to business. It sounds like not just their stock management is shite but they could improve their customer facing side as well.

I hope to see a NGD from you soon!

Looks like a few people have had similar experiences of the festive period:
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/pmtonline.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    PMT are the worst of the big hitters. No idea how they are still about. Shocking service 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • I always found the service at PMT Oxford to be pretty good, and I've bought loooads of stuff from there (I prefer it to the student common-room that is Andertons at least). Never tried to buy online from PMT though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    sounds like the online service mirrored the service i have had in the Bristol store a couple of times, they certainly seemed to have scaled the heights of shit service mountain....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    PMT are just pointless 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    I'm not a huge PMT fan. I think there are better superstores out there.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    If they have taken your money and it deducts from your acount, you can actually take legal action against them for loss of value. It takes a bit of effort but you are likely to be successful. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I always found the service at PMT Oxford to be pretty good, and I've bought loooads of stuff from there (I prefer it to the student common-room that is Andertons at least). Never tried to buy online from PMT though.
    Ditto this - PMT Oxford feels more like an indie shop with great service

Others I've been to have been awful, though
    Stop crying, start buying
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've never had a problem with PMT, i've bought a lot of stuff from both the Cambridge & Norwich stores and they've both been excellent. 
  • milambermilamber Frets: 118
    Basically mirrors my experience earlier in the year when they sold me a used amp as a new one then lied to try and cover it. I'd never use the online service again. Stores might be different.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PMT are a complete shower of shit

And the sooner they fuck off here with all their spamming under various different user names the better we'll all be 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    PMT are a complete shower of shit

And the sooner they fuck off here with all their spamming under various different user names the better we'll all be 

I had to lol this, because you were so tactful 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    +1
    Get 'em told !
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited December 2016
    That's very, very annoying. And that's a very good point you made, too- it's not just the annoyance at missing out on this guitar- it's that your money was tied up etc. and now most of the other good offers (which, had you known the PMT offer was nonexistent, you could have gone for) will have gone. And the way they dealt with it/tried to weasel out of it (delete as applicable depending upon your point of view D ) doesn't exactly make the story any more edifying...
  • I was working nights once when I heard on the radio that a local leather shop was starting a big sale the following morning. Star of the sale were some quality Flying Jackets at £25. That'll suit us nicely we said, so when we finished at 6 a.m. my mate and I went straight to the shop and queued until opening time. We were at the front of the queue as the doors opened and asked the guy who opened the doors where the Flying Jackets were?

"Sorry mate, sold out!"

Its the way of the world I guess :-(

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • While I've not used the website to buy anything, my PMT (Bristol) experiences have been really excellent - indeed one might say above and beyond, certainly compared to most of the real world shops I've dealt with over the years.

My latest experience was with a PRS.  I wished for a different colour, which they found quickly in the chain, but when it turned up it wasn't quite right, and they worked hard to find an alternative.  When that worked out well (in less time than their estimate) it even came with a "sweetener" to apologise - even though it wasn't really their fault!

This is similar to every experience I recall with them.

The website though is quite different.  It barely works in a browser, with weird expanding images that block stuff all the time, while most of the displayed kit (if you search for say "guitar") is out of stock - often by many years (as in long discontinued stuff).  With such a poor store front, surely it's a really blatant "buyer beware" message!!!!  Not that they seem to learn from it...

Hearty recommend for the real shop though.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I've said it before, I'm sure, but the last time I went into PMT (Bristol) - a few years ago - I was interested in a Les Paul and an AC30, and whilst they were happy for me to try their full stock of LPs with a Blackstar amp, or any other guitar with the AC30, they wouldn't let me try them together. It was the most surreal thing - I spoke to the manager as well as the guy 'serving' me, but still no dice and no explanation other than 'the Blackstar makes the LPs sound better'. Just weird.

6reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    I've said it before, I'm sure, but the last time I went into PMT (Bristol) - a few years ago - I was interested in a Les Paul and an AC30, and whilst they were happy for me to try their full stock of LPs with a Blackstar amp, or any other guitar with the AC30, they wouldn't let me try them together. It was the most surreal thing - I spoke to the manager as well as the guy 'serving' me, but still no dice and no explanation other than 'the Blackstar makes the LPs sound better'. Just weird.
    Almost certainly sounds like they had a bung or an incentive from Blackstar, encouraging/forcing them to put all Les Paul demos through a Blackstar amp. I work in retail marketing for a non-musical tech company and this is definitely the sort of thing that happens behind the scenes in retail sales.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    JookyChap said:

That's crazy. 

We need a "WTF?!" button. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Appalling. I shall avoid them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom