Brass Trem Blocks

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
edited March 2017 in Guitar
Why did no one tell me earlier.

After a rather stupid accident with a ballpoint pen spring. I just changed my Strats block over to brass & got myself a better quality set of bridge saddles & WOW!!!!!!

The guitar is far more resonant & responsive than before. Even unplugged, it simply sounds richer & more dynamic.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Brass is generally warmer than steel - not sure what guitar you have fitted it onto but as an overview good blocks and saddles from the likes of Callaham will improve many guitars - More sustain clarity and harmonics + an overall 'uplift' on tonal character - far less brass block options around - PRS, Musicman amongst other favour brass and I recently had a few Custom Shop Strats with a brass block and is now an extra option on custom orders
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    best thing I ever did to my Tele was change the bridge to a solid brass one. It was ridiculously expensive but really evened out the tone up and down the neck
    I can't for the life of me remember where I got it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    Cabicular said:
    best thing I ever did to my Tele was change the bridge to a solid brass one. It was ridiculously expensive but really evened out the tone up and down the neck
    I can't for the life of me remember where I got it
    Interesting! Any chance we could see a pic?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Is that a brass bridge plate, or brass saddles
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    It's a Fender Kotzen Strat. My only dissatisfaction was that the screws holding the saddles in place were really cheap, nasty metal. So I changed the lot.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Cabicular said:
    Is that from armadillo guitar parts ? 
    No
    i hink it was from peerless or someone like that
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited March 2017
    Did you use that guy who sells the high quality ones on fleabay and the late, great Mike Casswell used to recommend them and used them on his guitars?
    Edit: for Jez - thanks Cabicular :)
    It was from rare breed I think. They've gone bust now AFAIK

• Gotoh modern style Tele bridges are brass with either brass or steel saddles, depending on model. Since they are plated, you can't see the brass, but that is what they are made from.

Brass bridge on my Tele is also modern style (6 saddles, no plating) and is by ABM, but all the edges were far too sharp, so I spent an age carefully sanding the edges smooth and polishing the whole thing - shortly after I bought it a guy on eBay was selling unplated Gotoh ones. Doh!

For Strats I like the blocks by Kev Hurley on eBay. Half the price of Callaham, made in UK, steel, brass or aluminium. I still like the Callaham saddles best though. My maple neck Strat has a brass block which is perfect on that guitar - steel was too bright. But the steel block is perfect on a rosewood board Strat that I have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Gotoh modern style Tele bridges are brass with either brass or steel saddles, depending on model. Since they are plated, you can't see the brass, but that is what they are made from.

Brass bridge on my Tele is also modern style (6 saddles, no plating) and is by ABM, but all the edges were far too sharp, so I spent an age carefully sanding the edges smooth and polishing the whole thing - shortly after I bought it a guy on eBay was selling unplated Gotoh ones. Doh!

For Strats I like the blocks by Kev Hurley on eBay. Half the price of Callaham, made in UK, steel, brass or aluminium. I still like the Callaham saddles best though. My maple neck Strat has a brass block which is perfect on that guitar - steel was too bright. But the steel block is perfect on a rosewood board Strat that I have.
    had a couple of Hurley blocks and very good - can never remember his name when searching for blocks, so always suggest Callaham - But yep those Hurley's are nice - Kev and Liz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:
    Did you use that guy who sells the high quality ones on fleabay and the late, great Mike Casswell used to recommend them and used them on his guitars?
    Edit: for Jez - thanks Cabicular :)
    Yes. It was a bit of a pickle getting the dimensions right for a Japanese Fender, but he was great. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Kev's a sound chap - I took a rubbing from the block in my Strat so that he could ensure the block he sent me was the right one... it was and it transformed the guitar. I've also got one of his in my Tele Deluxe Trem.

I really must get in touch with him to see if he can make a block for my Roland Guitar Synth.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    jeztone2 said:
    Why did no one tell me earlier.

After a rather stupid accident with a ballpoint pen spring. I just changed my Strats block over to brass & got myself a better quality set of bridge saddles & WOW!!!!!!

The guitar is far more resonant & responsive than before. Even unplugged, it simply sounds richer & more dynamic.
    Was your Strat originally fitted with a steel block, or an alloy one?

I swapped the alloy block on my MIM Strat for a Callaham steel one and it has certainly improved the sustain and also made the sound more 'zingy'. I must admit I was tempted by a brass block but had read some mixed reviews. I'd be interested to know if anybody has A-B'd aftermarket steel and brass blocks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    My MM has a chunky brass block.
    It's a super resonant guitar. The tone and sustain available is unlike any other guitar I've ever played. It has some chambering going on under the maple cap and is well constructed. I don't know how much of a part the brass plays, but it's staying.
    It was steel @HAL9000 ;
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited March 2017
    Charlie Chandler recommended putting a Callaham block, trem and electrics on my MIM Strat. What a difference.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    impmann said:
    Kev's a sound chap - I took a rubbing from the block in my Strat so that he could ensure the block he sent me was the right one... it was and it transformed the guitar. I've also got one of his in my Tele Deluxe Trem.

I really must get in touch with him to see if he can make a block for my Roland Guitar Synth.
    Another thumbs up for this fella, I bought a block for my Fender Custardcaster and he was incredibly helpful in making sure I got the right size, etc.

Brilliant service and an trem block that made a lot of difference.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    In fact, here's a link to his ebay page:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kevinh3324/m.html?_trksid=p3692

His prices are still very very good indeed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom