Short 1m Guitar Cable - sounds crap

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
I recently had 6m of Klotz 59er cable cut up into 3 pieces 2x2.5m and 1x 1.2m. all fitted with switchcraft jacks. As an experiment i used the 1.2m cable guitar straight to amp and the sound was flat like a mattress was over the amp. This is contrary to everything I've read, being the shortest route from guitar to amp is a good thing.

Any thoughts??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    edited March 2017
    Did whoever cut it up forget to strip back the semi-conducting layer on the cable to avoid a partial short? This is a very common mistake and produces a quiet, muffled sound.

Have a look in each plug - the core wire should have a bit of clear plastic visible between the solder joint and the black layer - if the black layer goes right up to the joint, that's the problem. If it is, you can usually scrape a bit off to leave a gap without undoing the solder joint.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    ICBM said:
    Did whoever cut it up forget to strip back the semi-conducting layer on the cable to avoid a partial short? This is a very common mistake and produces a quiet, muffled sound.

Have a look in each plug - the core wire should have a bit of clear plastic visible between the solder joint and the black layer - if the black layer goes right up to the joint, that's the problem. If it is, you can usually scrape a bit off to leave a gap without undoing the solder joint.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look. Without looking you are probably right. I had to take it back the first time it was done as there was zero sound out of it when I first tested it. Techs at major music stores................ :p
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    @ICBM Wis awarded that may be why a couple of leads I made from Van dam cable were not as good as the others. I will have to check that.
    Don't touch that dial.
    Cheers for that, you were right. Black layer all the way up to the joint. Scraped it back, now works a treat!
    What a luxury it is to have experienced and extremely knowledgeable contributors on this forum. Many thanks.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom