eBay Content - Since When...

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
edited April 2017 in Guitar

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    … or "RARE"?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I see prices like this and question myself and think have I missed something - So option 1 is just to stay away from them if that is the price - option 2) is just to buy them, as and when they are offered for sale, at a more realistic price - some early MIJ Strats IMO are seriously over priced
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    I remember thinking the same thing just over a year ago, when j was looking for a Jag. It's becoming increasingly hard to find a Japanese Jag or JM for what we would consider sensible money.
    I've seen early MIJ Jazzmasters go for £1100 or so. Crazy times!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1316
    tFB Trader
    I'd have said £600 these days. This guitar won't sell. We do, however, live in a world in which a MIM Jag is £900 new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    If it is a 1985 the build quality is equal if not better than an American made fender from what I have been led to believe, a bit like JV squirrs, silly money but probably a very nice guitar.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I've got family tickets for a two week holiday at Disneyland. Swap for a Fender Jaguar.
    Look for an an early 80s 62 reissue MIJ Tele , that's some silly money too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Mind you, it has been tastefully reliced. That can't have been cheap.
    tFB Trader
    Were there any American-made Fenders in 1985? Serious question.
    Oh hang on, its a CIJ not MIJ, I'm not convinced its as old as he says it is, also, how can people get bought and brought mixed up. I mean really?
    timhulio said:

Have a look on 21 frets . Com, lots of fendery stuff on there.
    tFB Trader
    MIJ/CIJ Jags are nice, but not a patch on AVRI models. I've actually never played any MIM Jaguar.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    is this not just the market leaning towards that price supply vs demand? we can reminisce and tut but bare in mind that we live in a time when a gold horsey overdrive sells for £2000 and thats the going rate for a serious amplifier. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    robgilmo said:
    If it is a 1985 the build quality is equal if not better than an American made fender from what I have been led to believe, a bit like JV squirrs, silly money but probably a very nice guitar.
    My '86 MIJ Jazzmaster feels closer to my AVRI than my '94/'95 CIJ Jazzmaster, despite the AVRI having a 9.5" radius.
     If you look at the bodies side-on, you can see that the CIJ is different. It has a slight "sucked boiled sweet" look about it: the upper edge of the tummy cut is noticably thinner, and I've read that then body on the later Japanese JMs is thinner overall, though I haven't measured it as yet.
     The electrics are nicer on the '86 too, with better quality pots and wiring, though the cavity was unshielded (the '94/5 is shielded).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    timhulio said:
    I'd have said £600 these days. This guitar won't sell. We do, however, live in a world in which a MIM Jag is £900 new.
    I've never played a Japanese Jag/JM but I'd be willing to bet the £900 MIM is a better guitar. It has AVRI pickups in it for a start. Of course the £900 MIMs sell for £600-700 on the used market, and they'll only be a couple of years old and won't have big chunks taken out of the poly finish.

I'm pretty sure people were only shifting these at £450 about 5 years ago. Recently there were 3 Japanese Jags on ebay, all priced at £850+ and all 3 in the RARE Candy Apple Red colour.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Since the time MIJ Squiers have a guide price of £700 ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    robgilmo said:
    No, they're not as good as a proper US Fender. They were better than the standard US Fenders made immediately before, which is why they got their reputation, but they're no better than a modern MIJ Fender, and not as good as a current Mexican Classic series in my opinion.

timhulio said:
    Yes. A few US Vintage reissues - which are very nice, but not quite historically accurate. They are rare though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein