Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Brilliant into a cranked 2203. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    Cheaper to buy a standard SD1 and have it modded than to buy the stupidly exorbitant Waza.
    Yes, although not if you have an issue with the bypass bleed - that's not easy to fix, although it would be for Boss. It would need a slight redesign of the PCB and one extra switching transistor.

Running it after another buffered pedal does stop it, but that doesn't help if you want to run it first in line or with only true-bypass pedals before it.
    I modded my SD-1 with a bleed mod, it wasn't that hard. Not a pretty sight though but easy enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited April 2017
    Daphon/Chord do a Boss SD-1 clone (OD-50), they're about £20 new, built like a battleship with no need to mod them and sounds identical. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2459
    ^ Yeah. I have both. My boss has slightly more level boost on tap, but that could well be component tolerances.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited April 2017
    This bleed through problem, does it matter/is it noticeable if the amp is already set fairly dirty? Fancy trying one if I can find one for dirt cheap - find my TS808 clone a bit tame and polite sounding sometimes.
  • Probably not but they're fairly cheap to try. I'm not up to speed on current prices but historically I think the going rate was about £25 s/h
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    TTBZ said:
    This bleed through problem, does it matter/is it noticeable if the amp is already set fairly dirty? Fancy trying one if I can find one for dirt cheap - find my TS808 clone a bit tame and polite sounding sometimes.
    No, not if the amp is dirty - and especially not if you're using the pedal more as a boost, with the gain down. You only hear it if the amp is clean and the pedal is set with a reasonable amount of dirt on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    TTBZ said:
    Tbh it's nowhere near as evident as a TS, so much so I never really noticed it. 
    But then it was only ever thrown at a cooking amp anyway. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    Easy fix,  just don't turn it off :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10357
    I'd heard the Sd1 is the same as a tubescreamer in the same way chips are based on mash
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    I'd heard the Sd1 is the same as a tubescreamer in the same way chips are based on mash
    I thought it was op-amp??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Well. That was fun. Used this in rehearsal last night. My little 15 gbp sd1. Kicked arse. Thickend up my lead tone.. slightly more aggressive and boosted a good amount. Whole band loved it.

I'm done with boutique pedals. Unless they are extra specially special or different like the moogerfoogers or 1959dd... offering more than the norm.

Seriously after a few years I think I have reached the conclusion that far too often this boutique thing is a nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10086
    Patrick,

You know, I'm coming to a similar conclusion mate.

I remember a thread a few years ago along the lines of "are all ODs the same ?" - kinda get what was being said.

Good on you mate 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Patrick,

You know, I'm coming to a similar conclusion mate.

I remember a thread a few years ago along the lines of "are all ODs the same ?" - kinda get what was being said.

Good on you mate 
    Yeah - there is just too much false promise, too many dodgy copies, too many 3dpt switches. 
    Ive bought a few Boss pedals over the last couple of months and they've all be great 

I'm not naive enough to think that every boss Pedal is great, but the dd500 made me look at them again and I'm glad I have.

I'm getting quite a boss collection:

ES-5
    dd-500
    SD-1
    PS-6
    PS-3
    TU-3
    FZ-2
    Slicer

add DM-2 and an RV to that and it would be quite a board.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    I must say I have never noticed the bleed, but then I had never even considered using it with a clean amp. 
  • Well. That was fun. Used this in rehearsal last night. My little 15 gbp sd1. Kicked arse. Thickend up my lead tone.. slightly more aggressive and boosted a good amount. Whole band loved it.

I'm done with boutique pedals. Unless they are extra specially special or different like the moogerfoogers or 1959dd... offering more than the norm.

Seriously after a few years I think I have reached the conclusion that far too often this boutique thing is a nonsense.

Welcome to the club

I actually have a couple of pretty unique pedals, but my board is primarily off the shelf kit and it all sounds great. The one offs are juansolo pedals that are very special sounding muffs and delays, not available off the shelf. 

Next up you need a dd2. Probably my second favourite pedal behind the dod FX 65. Or boss ph1r. Get that. Or maybe a df-2, they're good. Or... 

You know, it works out costing the same ;) you just get a way cooler looking board at the end. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Reverend said:
    I must say I have never noticed the bleed, but then I had never even considered using it with a clean amp. 

Annoyingly the bleed is on all Boss models (certainly that I've tried), but not evident on every pedal (again, that I've tried).

For example, I've had a couple of SD-1's, one leaked, the other didn't. Same with DS-1's.

It seems to be luck whether yours leaks or not.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Boutique ODs???  ...into an already dirty amp?? Some builders are laughing all the way to the bank. 

SD-1 and OD-3 are great pedals as is to a lesser extent the BD-2 (screamin blues is betterer) .

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    The SD-1 is very good but I prefer the OD-2.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't have as much volume as the SD-1 so you can't really use it as a boost.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Cool sounds like it's working out well and thank you for fuelling my GAS - at least this will be an affordable one! I'm definitely coming round to this "booteek is bollocks" thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom