Timeline/mobius

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
Does anyone here have the Strymon möbius and Timeline running together using the MIDI function/connection ?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I did have. What do you want to know?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826

I did have. What do you want to know?
    Thanks dunstanmus. I don't want to go down the switching route like the gigrig stuff does. Too expensive and is overkill for my set up etc. However, when the 2 strymons are connected via their MIDI outputs/inputs can you save a Timeline preset or visa versa with whatever is selected at the time of saving. For example if I selected a tremolo with a certain delay sound on the Timeline and saved to a preset either on the Timeline or the Mobius this sound will broth be called up when I press the footswitch on that bank/A or B etc? Phew! I hope thats clear?
  • Am pretty sure the answer is no. Neither unit sends midi messages which is what you are wanting it to do when the first preset is selected on the first unit. If you are keeping it really simple you need a midi unit that sends a message. Tech 21 midi mouse will do this for you and is easy to use as well as being small. Hope this helps. 

• I run the Gigrig G2 with a Timefactor and Mobius. It's simple midi messages ie. preset one is preset one, two is two etc. I just program the effect I want on each unit for that preset. No midi mapping or anything like that. If you find a particular factory preset you could hit save, move the preset to the desired preset number and away you go.
    Am pretty sure the answer is no. Neither unit sends midi messages which is what you are wanting it to do when the first preset is selected on the first unit. If you are keeping it really simple you need a midi unit that sends a message. Tech 21 midi mouse will do this for you and is easy to use as well as being small. Hope this helps. 

Oh god more kit. There's me trying to keep it small, simple. and cheaper :(
    I run the Gigrig G2 with a Timefactor and Mobius. It's simple midi messages ie. preset one is preset one, two is two etc. I just program the effect I want on each unit for that preset. No midi mapping or anything like that. If you find a particular factory preset you could hit save, move the preset to the desired preset number and away you go.
    Yeah I know all about the G2 however, £800? I'd never use 90% of it so a waste for me :(
  • You will get one for £60. I have a DMC6 with extra expression and favourite switch which is killer. Not using it now if you want it cheap. Not trying to sell you here just have a look at what it can do.
  • G2 is a big expense but worth every penny for me. I don't use all of what it does. In fact, I'm just about using it in the most primitive form possible but I at least have the option when I decide to change the rig for the 160000th time.

You could probably pick up some form of little midi controller cheap. Yes it's more gear but if you can't do what you want to do with what you have then you need more gear. In fact, what am I saying? Even if you can do it you still need more gear!! ;-)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
    I have a Timeline with a Mobius due to my door tomorrow. Excuse my noobness but why would I need a midi footswitch?

Can you still use the footswitches/banks as normal or does midi override all, and well...anything else I'd need to know, or why to use midi?  
  • The cool thing with midi is you can send messages that change the settings you are in without changing presets on a single unit. If you use midi you can switch both - or all 3 when you get the verb - units at once. possibilities are endless. They dont override what you can do on the pedal, you just wouldn't switch presets on the pedal. Does this make sense? 
    Deijavoo said:
    I have a Timeline with a Mobius due to my door tomorrow. Excuse my noobness but why would I need a midi footswitch?

Can you still use the footswitches/banks as normal or does midi override all, and well...anything else I'd need to know, or why to use midi?  
    You lucky guy :) As far as I understand it the MIDI will send messages to receiving devices that will play a preset on that pedal whilst selecting another fx on another pedal etc.
    You will get one for £60. I have a DMC6 with extra expression and favourite switch which is killer. Not using it now if you want it cheap. Not trying to sell you here just have a look at what it can do.
    Yeah I've seen them on youtube. I find them sooooo complicated with just LED's and no panel to let you know where you are in a LIVE situation which is where I'll be using it.
    It does but could I use the actual pedals as well as the midi switcher?
    Thanks by the way mate.
    Deijavoo said:
    It does but could I use the actual pedals as well as the midi switcher?
    LOL that was my initial question really. I was to believe that you could save combination of presets between the 2? Maybe not it appears
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can save presets to each unit so you program a sound and set it as bank 00 preset A. Next sound is bank 00 preset B. do this on the TL and the same on the Mob. You then have 2 presets on each. So for verse of song 1 of your set you preset A on TL and preset A on Mob. Chorus might be B on TL and B on Mob. You will press the B foot switch on each unit. To get back to verse you will press A switch on each unit. This probably doesn't sound too bad. When you want to link bank 05 preset A on TL with bank 07 preset B on Mob you have to scroll through a lot of banks. You can do this before your song starts and just switch it on during the song. The quick way is to program your midi switcher to do this as one single switch. Verse could be preset 1, chorus preset 2 , solo preset 3 the back to verse. 3 presets and 3 button presses. It avoids the tap dancing as you scroll through the presets. If you link this with changing channels on an amp there can be a lot of button pressing. I link my midi with a RJM amp gizmo which sits on my amp. This way changing presets on the effects and channel changing on amp are a single switch. In the back of the manual in midi section there are a lot of numbers. Certain midi units will change a single parameter of a preset you are in eg. For solos you want to increase delay from 2 repeats to 3. You can send a midi message to just change thisnpartbof your delay preset rather than changing the actual preset. Pros do this to avoid the lag between the time it takes for the unit to change presets. The lag is good on Strymon gear. Go onto Huge Racks Inc and have a look at some of the racks. You will see some interesting midi switchers. It seems complicated at first. The benefit is you can use high tech gear quickly so ou can concentrate on your playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I did write the above in paragraphs. Lol!
  • Deijavoo - you can still use your pedal. You would program your favourite presets into each pedal but would use the switcher to switch both units at the same time. Look up Disaster area Amps on you tube. He simplifies it.
    ooh!

Sounds a wee bit complex for me, however, I can learn I'd say!

by the way, I assume you used a mobile device for said long paragraph above?

:(