The allure of single pick-up guitars ...explain it to me, as I just don't get it!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7346
    Also, I like less switches and knobs, so that old saying 'less is more' often applies to single pickup guitars for me. The simplicity of just a Volume or Tone is great fun and makes me enjoy the guitar for what it is.

I just think it suits my inner Luddite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    Evilmags said:
    Famous for his simple, raw tones and set ups...

Image result for allan holdsworth

Oh, yes...those simple, no-frills instruments... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2252
    I was a big fan of Leslie West and Martin Barre in the early 70's, which is why I've got a thing about the style of single pickup Les Paul Junior that they played. But I've never owned one. Maybe one day.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I've always fancied an Esquire but haven't got round to getting yet, but I will.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Evilmags said:
    Famous for his simple, raw tones and set ups...
    Image result for allan holdsworth

Coolest pic I've seen today
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6316
    I've always played telecasters until this week when I changed my Affinity Tele for a 72 Thinline with 2 WRHB pickups. Have to stay the HB's don't make that much difference, I think tele technique gets embedded and you can take that sound to any other instrument. I've only had it a matter of days though, we're honeymooning..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    Voxman said:
    single pick-up guitars ... I just don't get it ... two p/ups would give you more tonal range ... or something else?
    You need to try the right single pickup guitar, brother.

For just over three weeks, I have been the custodian of a 1965 Gibson Melody Maker. It has one single coil pickup that, on paper, does not seem very promising. The guitar body has little substance to it. Thankfully, that substance is Brazilian mahogany. The fingerboard is Brazilian rosewood. The whole thing is resonant as ****. Through a cranked valve amplifier, all the tonal variety that anyone could ask for is available via volume and tone pot adjustments and the right touch. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4971
    edited May 2017
    Funkfingers said: no
    Voxman said:
    single pick-up guitars ... I just don't get it ... two p/ups would give you more tonal range ... or something else?
    You need to try the right single pickup guitar, brother.

For just over three weeks, I have been the custodian of a 1965 Gibson Melody Maker. It has one single coil pickup that, on paper, does not seem very promising. The guitar body has little substance to it. Thankfully, that substance is Brazilian mahogany. The fingerboard is Brazilian rosewood. The whole thing is resonant as ****. Through a cranked valve amplifier, all the tonal variety that anyone could ask for is available via volume and tone pot adjustments and the right touch. 

I've played single p/up guitars inc melody makers, esquires etc. I was brought up on vol and tone roll off. But single p/up guitars are not for me.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think the single-pickup guitar I'd go for would be a twin-cut LP type with a P90...  a friend had one once and it was terrific, but in addition, they just look right 
    Actually thinking about it, I think his was an old (very old) Antoria. Superb guitar.
  • dindude said:
    I love single pickup guitars. They generally look cool as fuck, they make you think and work within the limitations which can in turn push your own boundaries, and they usually have a rawness and liveliness to the tone that is addictive.

Case closed?

All of this! Extra pickups reduce the energy of the strings, especially as you get closer to the neck. 

My old BC rich gunslinger may have been a Korean made guitar, but it was very resonant and the angled dimarzio super distortion was far more versatile than you'd think. 

They look mega cool too. Even taxi cab yellow superstrats. ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I have owned Esquires, SG Juniors and LP Juniors - all have been fun but ultimately lacking a neck pickup. Yes you can turn down the tone to get a 'bassier' sound but its not quite right. I too am a Martin Barre fan, but actually think his playing after discovering Hamer's guitars (and the joys of a neck pickup) is more interesting.

I get frustrated by one pickup guitars - they are great, but limiting. I agree that they force you to be more dynamic with your picking, and learn how to use the volume and tone controls... but if you do this anyway with a two pickup (or three on a Strat) then its a little moot. Its a bit like the argument against using effects by those that ride the volume and tone controls on their guitars... yes, but if you do that *AND* use effects and a neck pickup, then you are going to make a lot more different noises.

I have an Esquire at home that I use for writing. Its an inspirational guitar but I find myself wondering if it would be even better with a neck pickup to inspire me still further.

Each to their own and there isn't one 'correct' way to approach playing guitar. But to answer the OP's original thread - no you aren't alone.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 661
    I've a 2006 Les Paul Melody Maker that has a single P90 so it's kind of like a thin Junior with a tunomatic and whilst I do love it's single pickup vibe and simplicity I often think of what it would be like with a neck pickup. The fact I can't easily do so due to the thinness of the guitar has saved it from that butchery :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited May 2017
    impmann said:
    I have owned Esquires, SG Juniors and LP Juniors - all have been fun but ultimately lacking a neck pickup. Yes you can turn down the tone to get a 'bassier' sound but its not quite right. I too am a Martin Barre fan, but actually think his playing after discovering Hamer's guitars (and the joys of a neck pickup) is more interesting.

I get frustrated by one pickup guitars - they are great, but limiting. I agree that they force you to be more dynamic with your picking, and learn how to use the volume and tone controls... but if you do this anyway with a two pickup (or three on a Strat) then its a little moot. Its a bit like the argument against using effects by those that ride the volume and tone controls on their guitars... yes, but if you do that *AND* use effects and a neck pickup, then you are going to make a lot more different noises.

Doesn't an Esquire have routing under the guard anyway?  I thought some did.

Regardless, I do actually agree with your viewpoint.  I guess ultimately to me it's a case of "I don't need this, so why is it here?"  My one pickup guitars are single HB Strats where it is of no consequence to switch back to a multi pickup config if I so choose.  With something like a Les Paul Jr you're tied in to visible routing.  As of yet I've never bought a single pickup guitar where adding a neck pickup would require carving.
  • gitapikgitapik Frets: 19
    Ime, the lower impedence singles need a little more volume than a humbucker in order to get the full effect. The added volume fills out their sound.

Regardless of volume, there are just some things that I can do on my Strat that won't fly as well on my LP. And vice versa. You can play anything on any guitar, but funk rhythm work shines with a single coil pickup and the 2 and 4 positions on a 5 way switch tend to sound better with singles than when you're combining with a humbucker (even when the humbucker is split). 

As far as leads go; single coils generally have a transparency (or translucency) while humbuckers are thicker and chunkier. Neither is "better" in my world. I love both. 

One nice thing about singles is that you can pretty effectively thicken the sound with the right pedal combination, volume control, and/or amp. It's not as easy to thin out the sound of a humbucker. 

I think it's mainly about the styles that you want to play. And also how picky you are. When I was totally broke I played everything on my classical guitar. Because that was the only guitar I had and I couldn't afford an electric or amp. It limited my gigs, for sure, but with the right adjustment of technique, I learned how to bend the strings and effectively use a pick/finger combination. 
    G.A.S. = "Git a Sound"