PC types - whats the average cost for a decent machine these days? -- also PC death content

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4700
    The Ryzen actually comes with a very good cooler.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7370
    Do you happen to know the noise profile?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    hmm 38dbA for the AMD one (although Ill need to double check the box I selected has the new one) versus 36dbA. I assume that is measured from inside the case so I do question if 2db is worth the extra 25 quid especially as I would hope the fan wouldnt be running flat out during tracking which is the most important time to have the low niose.

I think Im fairly settled on the ryzen build though, especially as my current phenom based one has done so well and will prob be re-imaged and get a little more lease of life in the garage for use with my electric drum kit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Maybe go for G-Skill memory as these have worked well when Ryzen came out before they released a Bios Patch which fixed issues other memory sticks had.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 890
    big props to whoever posted pcpartspicker i can get a 16gb build under a grand by shopping around:

<snip>

MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    £66.94 Buy
    Memory

Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    £73.99 Buy

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    £83.94 Buy
    Total: £984.13

</snip>

1. The Samsung Evo  250GB SSD is almost the same price as the Kingson SSDNow but benchmarks  as massively faster.

2.  The Motherboard you're looking at supports M.2 SSDs.  The Samsung 960 Evo M.2 is £119 - but look at the benchmarks!

3.  You buy Windows 10 Pro from Software Geeks for £25 saving you £59 to put toward the M.2 SSD!

revsorg said:
    big props to whoever posted pcpartspicker i can get a 16gb build under a grand by shopping around:

<snip>

MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    £66.94 Buy
    Memory

Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    £73.99 Buy

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    £83.94 Buy
    Total: £984.13

</snip>

1. The Samsung Evo  250GB SSD is almost the same price as the Kingson SSDNow but benchmarks  as massively faster.

2.  The Motherboard you're looking at supports M.2 SSDs.  The Samsung 960 Evo M.2 is £119 - but look at the benchmarks!

3.  You buy Windows 10 Pro from Software Geeks for £25 saving you £59 to put toward the M.2 SSD!

wow nice one on the win10 link! Im going to order that when I get home before I even pull the trigger on the build!

Where do you mount the M2 drives?

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    M2 drive are mounted into a dedicated slot or a PCIE slot (can't quite remember the details)
    ah so its a connector on the board rather than on a wire.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    This isn't the motherboard you're looking at but the M.2 drive slots in in just the same way 
    By the way... you might give my review of some DDR4 RAM I reviewed last year a read... a  cautionary tale.  I got the RAM for free as a Vine reviewer, but ended up spending £1000 to dig myself out of a hole.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Some people looking at silent PCs - do make sure you get a silenceable Graphics card too.  Also if you're getting a 1Tb non-SSD disc get some soundproofing for the case - it's annoying having paid over the odds for everything to have the tic-tic-ing of a hard drive still cutting through.

Used QuietPC to put together a couple of silent PCs in the past, latest was ready-built from Overclockers and isn't that silent :p
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited June 2017
    revsorg said:
    By the way... you might give my review of some DDR4 RAM I reviewed last year a read... a  cautionary tale.  I got the RAM for free as a Vine reviewer, but ended up spending £1000 to dig myself out of a hole.
    Is it possible you fried one of the sticks with static? Happened to me once luckily I had enough other DIMs kicking around that I could trouble shoot it to the RAM fairly quickly.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok think this is my last iteration, any more thoughts before i hit the button tonight?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cFW4TH

Already purchesed win10 from software geeks
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cant you borrow one from work?
    Got a replacement coming from Intel under warranty.
    It is done, swapped out the mobo for one with better fan control from gigabyte but other than that spec is the same as last update.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ