Recommend me a new car!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I can certainly see the argument for a 3-series, but the latest ones are getting quite funny looking imo. And having spent a week in a rental car with 265 bhp (granted a Megane Cup, not a BMW) I'm really struggling to see the point in anything over 200 bhp. You're over the limit within 3 seconds of booting it which actually makes it quite a bit less fun for me - you can't enjoy pushing the car itself without losing your licence.
    Whatever I get certainly won't be 200bhp+ ! 

I just want comfortable and good looking. Golf and 3 series tick all the boxes in their own ways so will probably drive both and see how I feel. 

Anyone sold a car recently? Did you do private or p/x? And anyone had much experience of the large supermarket type places like motorpoint? I know the value is to be had in buying privately but I'm not comfortable doing that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    In answer to your question re Motorpoint, I bought my current car from their Burnley outlet just over 2 years ago, bought a 10-month-old low-mileage Peugeot 208 for £8k.  We traded in Our Maud's 10 year old Fiat Punto, for which they gave us £800 as I recall.

They wanted us to have finance - we said no, we paid cash (it was to be our "retirement" car).

They wanted us to have extended warranty - £300 for an extra year over the manufacturer's 3-year warranty.  I wish I hadn't taken that, as it means I've thrown £300 away if I decide to change before the 4 years are up - doh!

They wanted us to have other stuff I can't remember now - we said no.

In short, buy the car but ignore all the extra stuff they'll try to sell you, and you should get a decent deal.  Good luck!

Nitefly said:
    In answer to your question re Motorpoint, I bought my current car from their Burnley outlet just over 2 years ago, bought a 10-month-old low-mileage Peugeot 208 for £8k.  We traded in Our Maud's 10 year old Fiat Punto, for which they gave us £800 as I recall.

They wanted us to have finance - we said no, we paid cash (it was to be our "retirement" car).

They wanted us to have extended warranty - £300 for an extra year over the manufacturer's 3-year warranty.  I wish I hadn't taken that, as it means I've thrown £300 away if I decide to change before the 4 years are up - doh!

They wanted us to have other stuff I can't remember now - we said no.

In short, buy the car but ignore all the extra stuff they'll try to sell you, and you should get a decent deal.  Good luck!

Thanks for that. Yeah no doubt they will push all kind of extras but I'm not interested. I'll do my research, find the car I want and buy it with cash (albeit loaned cash!) and not get sucked in to unnecessary extras!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I can certainly see the argument for a 3-series, but the latest ones are getting quite funny looking imo. And having spent a week in a rental car with 265 bhp (granted a Megane Cup, not a BMW) I'm really struggling to see the point in anything over 200 bhp. You're over the limit within 3 seconds of booting it which actually makes it quite a bit less fun for me - you can't enjoy pushing the car itself without losing your licence.
    Whatever I get certainly won't be 200bhp+ ! 

I just want comfortable and good looking. Golf and 3 series tick all the boxes in their own ways so will probably drive both and see how I feel. 

Anyone sold a car recently? Did you do private or p/x? And anyone had much experience of the large supermarket type places like motorpoint? I know the value is to be had in buying privately but I'm not comfortable doing that. 
    The wife now has an A-series Mercedes. The garage didn't really want her Ford and px-value was about £500. Put it on eBay and sold it for £1.3K .. cash buyer. Local Facebook is another good route to try.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    BRISTOL86 said:

When I started my last job (about two years ago now) I had to sell my car - job came with a company car, and I didn't have space (or a need) for two. I checked a few brokers, We Want Any Car gave the best offer and stuck to it apart from £50 for a jetwash and £25 for a teeny scuff on one wheel - they did up the offer on the day though so it worked out to about £30 under the initial online valuation. No hassle at all and pretty much the Glass's private price. That was a fairly new car though - just under 2 years old IIRC - which are harder to sell privately.

Golf is an excellent suggestion in my view - I went through loads of hire cars at the last job, and while it's true that the Seat, Skoda, VW and Audi models are similar they are most definitely tweaked to support each target market. When I bought my new car VW were by far the keenest to discount so for very similar spec they ended up cheapest and with the best predicted residuals. Also slightly sharper than the Octavia but not as pointy as the Seat.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I recommend you a new car!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

When I started my last job (about two years ago now) I had to sell my car - job came with a company car, and I didn't have space (or a need) for two. I checked a few brokers, We Want Any Car gave the best offer and stuck to it apart from £50 for a jetwash and £25 for a teeny scuff on one wheel - they did up the offer on the day though so it worked out to about £30 under the initial online valuation. No hassle at all and pretty much the Glass's private price. That was a fairly new car though - just under 2 years old IIRC - which are harder to sell privately.

Golf is an excellent suggestion in my view - I went through loads of hire cars at the last job, and while it's true that the Seat, Skoda, VW and Audi models are similar they are most definitely tweaked to support each target market. When I bought my new car VW were by far the keenest to discount so for very similar spec they ended up cheapest and with the best predicted residuals. Also slightly sharper than the Octavia but not as pointy as the Seat.
    Thanks! The Golf is definitely a contender. The pull of the 3 Series is strong but I like the A3 sportback a lot more than I thought I would. 

Need to get out and drive some. 
    BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks! The Golf is definitely a contender. The pull of the 3 Series is strong but I like the A3 sportback a lot more than I thought I would.
    A work-chum has a brand-spanky new A3 saloon. It's nice. The inside is a bit dark, but the materials are nice - I can see where the extra money goes compared to a Golf, but I'm not sure I'd spend it myself.
    Sporky said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

A work-chum has a brand-spanky new A3 saloon. It's nice. The inside is a bit dark, but the materials are nice - I can see where the extra money goes compared to a Golf, but I'm not sure I'd spend it myself.
    From what I've found I'm surprised how little difference there is price wise, used. It's almost like for like when you start comparing spec. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sporky said:
    Bucket said:

The diesels are apparently very good, but why would you want a diesel? 
    If you do a lot of miles, or tow...

The only reason to rule out diesels altogether is so you don't have to put up with all the hysterical doom-peddlers.
    I rule them out altogether because of the sharply increased nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions, especially given that I live in a city which is dirty and polluted enough already - partly because of diesel-powered buses, trucks and vans.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Sporky said:
    Bucket said:

The only reason to rule out diesels altogether is so you don't have to put up with all the hysterical doom-peddlers.
    I rule them out altogether because of the sharply increased nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions, especially given that I live in a city which is dirty and polluted enough already - partly because of diesel-powered buses, trucks and vans.
    Ah, so you're in the hysterical doom-peddler camp. :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sporky said:
    Also I don't want a car that sounds like a canal boat.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    Sporky said:
    Unimog.

Or a Yeti. Yetis are ace.
    I thought I'd love the Yeti but about 25 mins into the test drive I noticed a distortion in the windscreen just above eye height and centred. After that I couldn't not see it. Got back to the dealer and checked 3 more examples and they all had the same, others can't see it but I couldn't risk buying it and getting anoyed on every trip. Shame really I liked the car otherwise and had been happy with the Octavia before.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Sporky said:
    Bucket said:
    Sporky said:
    Bucket said:

No, he's in the got a conscience camp.

Also, the way things are going, even if the current lot have done nothing to sort out air pollution, their grip on power is shaky.  Labour could be in power within months, and charges for driving diesels in city centres could be here within 2 or 3 years.   That would kill resale on diesels.

Unless you do most of driving outside of cities, or need to tow, you are better off avoiding diesel.

ESBlonde said:

I thought I'd love the Yeti but about 25 mins into the test drive I noticed a distortion in the windscreen just above eye height and centred. After that I couldn't not see it. Got back to the dealer and checked 3 more examples and they all had the same, others can't see it but I couldn't risk buying it and getting anoyed on every trip. Shame really I liked the car otherwise and had been happy with the Octavia before.
    That's a shame - I had two and never noticed it - not saying you're wrong, mind.

crunchman said:
    Sporky said:

No, he's in the got a conscience camp.
    Blimey - that's even more hysterical! Good work.

I'd forgotten that anyone with a diesel is essentially down there with paedophiles and war criminals. :D
    Have pretty much ruled out the 3 Series. 

Going to test drive A3, Golf and 1 Series tomorrow. 
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    Mazda 6 - you'll get a great one for £15k