Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Body wood affects tone

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357

Anyone who puts that video forward as 'proof' that 'tone wood' has en effect is either trolling or grasping at straws. 
    Hilarious!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 945
    edited September 2017
    @Three-ColourSunburst I have done a bit of research using a variety of sources.

Below is a definitive list of 100 people who think you are talking balls.

Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Keith Richards
    Jeff Beck
    B.B. King
    Chuck Berry
    Eddie Van Halen
    Duane Allman
    Pete Townshend
    George Harrison
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Albert King
    David Gilmour
    Freddy King
    Derek Trucks
    Neil Young
    Les Paul
    James Burton
    Carlos Santana
    Chet Atkins
    Frank Zappa
    Buddy Guy
    Angus Young
    Tony Iommi
    Brian May
    Bo Diddley
    Johnny Ramone
    Scotty Moore
    Elmore James
    Ry Cooder
    Billy Gibbons
    Prince
    Curtis Mayfield
    John Lee Hooker
    Randy Rhoads
    Mick Taylor
    The Edge
    Steve Cropper
    Tom Morello
    Mick Ronson
    Mike Bloomfield
    Hubert Sumlin
    Mark Knopfler
    Link Wray
    Jerry Garcia
    Stephen Stills
    Jonny Greenwood
    Muddy Waters
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Johnny Marr
    Clarence White
    Otis Rush
    Joe Walsh
    John Lennon
    Albert Collins
    Rory Gallagher
    Peter Green
    Robbie Robertson
    Ron Asheton
    Dickey Betts
    Robert Fripp
    Johnny Winter
    Duane Eddy
    Slash
    Leslie West
    T Bone Walker
    John McLaughlin
    Richard Thompson
    Jack White
    Robert Johnson
    John Frusciante
    Kurt Cobain
    Dick Dale
    Joni Mitchell
    Robby Krieger
    Willie Nelson
    John Farley
    Mike Campbell
    Buddy Holly
    Lou Reed
    Nels Cline
    Eddie Hazel
    Joe Perry
    Andy Summers
    J Mascis
    James Hetfield
    Carl Perkins
    Bonnie Raitt
    Tom Verlaine
    Dave Davies
    Dimebag Darrell
    Paul Simon
    Peter Buck
    Roger Mc Guinn
    Bruce Springsteen
    Steve Jones
    Alex Lifeson
    Thurston Moore
    Lindsey Buckingham

(List courtesy of The Brazilian Institute of Talking a Right Load of Balls) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Three-ColourSunburst I have done a bit of research using a variety of sources.

Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Keith Richards
    Jeff Beck
    B.B. King...

And despite them playing guitars made with the same species of wood, and many even playing the same model, they all managed to sound so different.

I wonder what they would think if it was put to them that their sound was due to the nature of the bit of wood their strings were attached to, rather than the magic in their fingers? =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburst said:
    I am still collecting research on this topic in the hope that I can give some more definitive answers to the points raised, including what you posted. 

Cheers!
    You seem to be confusing us all with someone....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes! I think you have got it.  

Mods, please do not close this thread down. I am quite enjoying the feeling of being a Victorian gentleman visiting Bedlam for an afternoon's entertainment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes! I think you have got it.  

Mods, please do not close this thread down. I am quite enjoying the feeling of being a Victorian gentleman visiting Bedlam for an afternoon's entertainment.
    For such a long thread of talking bollocks it's remained quite polite so far. :)
    @Three-ColourSunburst I have done a bit of research using a variety of sources.

Jimi Hendrix
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Page
    Keith Richards
    Jeff Beck
    B.B. King...

And despite them playing guitars made with the same species of wood, and many even playing the same model, they all managed to sound so different.

I wonder what they would think if it was put to them that their sound was due to the nature of the bit of wood their strings were attached to, rather than the magic in their fingers? =)
    And yet Hendrix never sounded as good when he played that plastic guitar on 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'. Must've been an off day for him.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Do people know about the Leonardo Project?

http://www.leonardo-guitar-research.com/online-blind-listening-challenge

It is worth checking out- I'm not going to comment on it beyond that.
  • octatonic said:

Yes.
    Those type of experiments have been going on in the classical community for many decades.
    It is only the advent of the internet that has revealed this ancient knowledge to the uninitiated. 
  • Look this is quite simple, no one is specifically saying change a body and the sound will not change, but that the sound can change for a variety of reasons, the denseness and stiffness of the wood is more important than the species and whether it's a "tone" wood. 
    The Video of chapman guitars is a load of rubbish and cannot be taken seriously as a scientific test. 
    Vintage guitars such as the 62 strat talked about is also more about the beholder than the guitar. As someone who has owned a lot of vintage guitars, I would say but modern ones every day. They are better made and more consistent. A blindfold test with another person playing the guitars always sorts out the cork sniffers. People like to think we can tell the difference but the truth is we can only hear a difference, not differentiate between instruments. 
    In the hands of a master musician it's been proven to me enough times, that I cannot hear difference between a Les Paul Special and a Telecaster. So for those of you who think can hear the difference between a 62 strat a USA 62 reissue and a Mexican 60's reissue, you are talking rubbish. Take into account variables in pickups and pots plus bridge and nut material it's impossible. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader

Even with vintage pickups, becoming microphonic is a sign that they breaking down. Guitar pickups are expressly designed to not be microphonic!

So when you have an acoustic with a pickup inside the soundhole NOT under the strings...  How does that work then?

And

• Rabs said:

So when you have an acoustic with a pickup inside the soundhole NOT under the strings...  How does that work then? And  [Guy shouts at guitar with amp volume on 11.)

1) Piezo pickups as commonly used on acoustics operate by an entirely different principal to solid body guitar pickups.

2) That guitar has strings on. His voice is causing them to resonate and this is then picked up by the pickups.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

So when you have an acoustic with a pickup inside the soundhole NOT under the strings...  How does that work then? And  [Guy shouts at guitar with amp volume on 11.)

1) Piezo pickups as commonly used on acoustics operate by an entirely different principal to solid body guitar pickups.

2) That guitar has strings on. His voice is causing them to resonate and this is then picked up by the pickups.

Well I wasnt actually sure so have been looking it up... I probably should have done that before responding..  But they don't all use Piezo pickups.. But the ones that don't and don't use the under string ones have a microphone..  So there you go... Learn something new every day  :)

And for the shouty thing..  If I remember I am actually going to try it the next time I change strings on one of my electrics ...

• octatonic said:

As I pointed out earlier, much the same has been found regarding the inability of most listeners and players to distinguish different violins, or even a Stradivarius from a modern instrument. And all this is with acoustic instruments where almost all of what you hear is the wood vibrating - along with the sound within the body resonating.

With a solid body guitar any differences in timbre due to the wood used are likely to be magnitudes smaller still. I think why this is the case is clear when one thinks of the differences in how acoustic and electric guitars are designed. (I'll post on this in a moment.)

• the variations of timbre of electric guitars, according to the results obtained here, depend on other factors than the wood of the body itself, a fact that arises from the absence of a significant coupling between the string and the body of the instrument. Also proposed is a modelling of the string-body coupling, which shows that only a negligible amount of energy from the vibrating string reaches the body of the instrument and that a smaller amount still returns up the string.

'String-body coupling on electric guitars and its relation with the timbre of the instrument.'

Rodrigo Mateus Pereira,  Albary Laibida Junior, Thiago Corrêa de Freitas.

Physicæ 9, 2010, pp. 24 - 29

OK, I have been trying to find some research that might explain the above more fully. I think a key issue is that many tone-wood fans are misled as a result of thinking that principles that apply to acoustic instruments also apply to solid-body electric guitars. I hope this clarifies exactly what I mean.

Firstly, an acoustic guitar is designed to have a very low impedance (and hence high conductance) at the bridge, this energy being transferred into a thin, light soundboard (in a top-quality instrument as light as 100g before bracing is added). The low mass and yet high stiffness of the soundboard means that the limited amount of energy available from the string can excite the board into a state of forced vibration with the minimum loss of energy, so maximising the sound output. (Even so, the energy in any body in a state of forced vibration will tend to dissipate rather quickly.)

In comparison, an electric guitar body is specifically designed not to 'resonate' (or rather be easily excited into a state of forced vibration) being solid with a high mass and, in the interests of maximising sustain, will be fitted with a heavy bridge with very high impedance and hence very low conductance.

The studies I have found so far indicate that, for all practical purposes, the conductance at the bridge of a solid body electric guitar is so low that it can be discounted. The conductance of the neck will be higher than the bridge - which is why the neck can often be felt to be vibrating - but even here it varies from frequency to frequency and position to position. Hence it does not have a consistent effect on the harmonic balance of the notes played, instead tending to cause 'dead spots' at a few locations on the neck. (Although these are often not noticed because the player's hand acts as a damper.)

Now, the tone-wood fans argue that, just as with the soundboard of an acoustic guitar, the wood of the body of an electric guitar is excited by the string into a state of forced vibration. Then supposedly, the 'resonances' set up in the body by the string in turn affect the harmonics sounding on the string itself, so determining the timbre of the instrument, as heard via the pickups. Further, the harmonics on the string are affected in the same way, whatever note is played and in whatever position, so giving the instrument its characteristic tone. Even further, the 'resonances' set up in the body, and so the harmonics that sound on the string, are species-specific, so each 'tone wood' will give the sound a characteristic timbre.

I think the tone-wood fans are wrong on every point of this 'explanation', but we might as well stop all the nonsense at the very first step. That is, the way the string is supposed to excite the body into a state of forced vibration, akin to the soundboard of an acoustic.

First problem here is the high impedance of a typical electric guitar bridge. They are designed to maximise sustain by stopping as much energy as possible being transferred into the body. Minimal conductance at the bridge causes minimum excitation of the body, which in turn means no string/body resonant system is created and the body can't work its Mojo magic on the harmonics of the string.

Secondly, it seems questionable just how the limited energy available on the string could set up any such 'resonances' in the substantial mass of the body of a solid body electric guitar, especially given that in a forced vibration system, the energy will be dissipated rapidly. (True resonant behaviour being restricted to certain specific frequencies that need not match any tuned note.)

For example, the vibrating mass of a 10-gauge top E string on a guitar with a 628mm scale length is just 0.25g. A typical solid body guitar - which the tone-wood fans argue has to be considered to be a complete 'system' - weighs about 3.4kg, and sometimes a lot more, and yet this solid, relatively rigid mass is supposed to be excited into a state of 'resonance' by the energy on that 0.24g string (0.000074% the mass of the body 'system'), even when it is lightly picked. This does not seem to make sense, especially given that in reality that string of an electric guitar will still give far more sustain than on any acoustic, indicating that its energy is actually being well conserved, despite it also losing energy to the air in which it vibrates, friction at the securing points and internal losses within the string. (Of course, this is exactly what we might expect given the high impedance of the bridge and so minimal transfer / loss of energy to the body.)

One obvious counter to the above might be that tone-wood works its magic when the guitar is played loudly through an amplifier, this adding the energy needed to create a 'resonant system' and overcoming all the issues relating to the minimal energy of the string, the high mass of the body, the high impedance of the bridge, the dissipative nature of forced vibration systems and so on, However, I don't think this is credible as the tone-wood fans generally claim that the tone of an instrument is apparent even when playing it acoustically. If a mahogany guitar only sounds like a mahogany guitar when you turn the amp up to 11, what does it sound like when played quietly, a maple one, or maybe basswood?

Perhaps it is true that some guitars are filled with 'mojo', as only magic seems capable of making 'tone-wood' work! =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TL:DR.
  • octatonic said:
    Main points just for the Twitter generation. ;)

An electric guitar body is specifically designed not to 'resonate' (or rather be easily excited into a state of forced vibration) being solid with a high mass and, in the interests of maximising sustain, will be fitted with a heavy bridge with very high impedance and hence very low conductance.

Minimal conductance at the bridge causes minimum excitation of the body, which in turn means no string/body resonant system is created and the body can't work its Mojo magic on the harmonics of the string.

Secondly, it seems questionable just how the limited energy available on the string could set up any such 'resonances' in the substantial mass of the body of a solid body electric guitar, especially given that in a forced vibration system, the energy will be dissipated rapidly.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still too long.
    Give me a pithy one liner that I can slightly misremember.
  • octatonic said: