New Les Paul Junior 2018

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    adamm82 said:
    Oooooh look it's a Les paul jr.... That's just like a Les paul jr...
    Apart from the limited 2016 run when was the last time they released one that would be in it's traditional form? 2011?

the 2015 had the robotuners and the LP 100 logo and this new one old logo.

I'll stand by my point,  changed logo or tuners don't make a different guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited October 2017
    adamm82 said:
    Apart from the limited 2016 run when was the last time they released one that would be in it's traditional form? 2011?

True but at least it’s for sale. If people want the option to buy a junior I don’t see why Gibson don’t sell them all the time. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    I'd love a TV DC Special but those modern versions cutaways look all wrong.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1704
    Why would they mess with the shape like that? One of the reasons I always wanted one (and scratched that itch 25 years ago) was because of that shape between the horns, the sort of flat shoulder look (the other being P90's). 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Why would they mess with the shape like that?
    To make it stronger, it allows for more wood-to-wood in the join. I agree it looks nowhere near as good.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    To make it stronger, it allows for more wood-to-wood in the join. I agree it looks nowhere near as good.

Did the original designs have neck problems?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    £1100 for a standard line Junior - holy crap!
    I remember saying similar when a Les Paul Deluxe hit £400 in 1978, then £1000 in the early 90's for a Standard - its the same story every 5 or 10 years 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:

Did the original designs have neck problems?
    Yes, that's why they moved the pickup in the Special (above) back from the neck. The "new" design allows them to put the pickup adjacent to the neck without compromising strength too much.
    we had a LP Forum meet-up in Stockport last year.  Had about a dozen single and double cut Juniors and Specials from '55 to '60 which we ran into a wonderful Gartone 5E3 with Celestion Blue. They all sounded good, and all a bit different.  Generally the older SC Juniors were the ballsiest.  Maybe due to the additional wood around the neck joint, also the P90 changed a couple of times during the '50's.  There was a DC special about a year older then mine with the neck pup in the older, up against the finerboard position.  Wasn't much difference in tone betweem them.  The DC Juniors has a bit more grunt, little bit more compressed sounding.

Was an interesting, if loud, experiment.

• john_rjohn_r Frets: 146
    edited October 2017
    The 50's double cut junior/special body shape is the sexiest guitar body shape ever created! wish Gibson would do more with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    john_r said:
    The 50's double cut junior/special body shape is the sexiest guitar body shape ever created! wish Gibson would do more with it.
    valid comments there - you can see why Hamer and PRS (as well as others) based select and early models on it -
    tFB Trader
    we had a LP Forum meet-up in Stockport last year.  Had about a dozen single and double cut Juniors and Specials from '55 to '60 which we ran into a wonderful Gartone 5E3 with Celestion Blue. They all sounded good, and all a bit different.  Generally the older SC Juniors were the ballsiest.  Maybe due to the additional wood around the neck joint, also the P90 changed a couple of times during the '50's.  There was a DC special about a year older then mine with the neck pup in the older, up against the finerboard position.  Wasn't much difference in tone betweem them.  The DC Juniors has a bit more grunt, little bit more compressed sounding.

Was an interesting, if loud, experiment.

I bet that was some event worth seeing  - when I've seen, heard or tried similar guitars on the A v B test, often you find differences but not necessarily in  a good or bad way, just different - as such hard to pick a winner when 5-10 customers try them out, as all have good attributes that we prefer in one way or another - be it feel and/or tone or even visual appeal

But I bet a great time was had by all
    Certainly was!  As well as individually playing everyone elses guitar we got one chap to play all of them while we stood and listened.  Mine was a bit less compressed, not so grunty, bit more detailed than some.  They all sounded excellent though, and as you say, just different.  However it did make me want to add a SC Junior to the stable here!  I don't know how the newer Juniors compare tone-wise against the oldies, that would be another interesting comparison.

tFB Trader
    Certainly was!  As well as individually playing everyone elses guitar we got one chap to play all of them while we stood and listened.  Mine was a bit less compressed, not so grunty, bit more detailed than some.  They all sounded excellent though, and as you say, just different.  However it did make me want to add a SC Junior to the stable here!  I don't know how the newer Juniors compare tone-wise against the oldies, that would be another interesting comparison.

I've got an excellent Feline Lion Cub Jnr that I hand picked from Jon - I was born in 1959 and have searched for a while for an original Gibson that ticked my boxes - but the best I found was a total players grade - refin, repaired headstock, re-fret etc - under 3K but I suppose I wanted that same performance in a cleaner example but never found the one - It would be interesting to put my 'modern' replica against an old school classic sometime
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    john_r said:
    I played a couple of 50s Doublecut juniors for the first time on my trip to the states. One in particular was the best guitar I've ever played.

I better get saving. I want one now :-( 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Here's some of toys from last year racked up and ready to play:

And mine sharing the sofa with it's slightly older sibling:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    adamm82 said:
    adamm82 said:

True but at least it’s for sale. If people want the option to buy a junior I don’t see why Gibson don’t sell them all the time.

That my good good man is a very valid point! 
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 146
    john_r said:
    valid comments there - you can see why Hamer and PRS (as well as others) based select and early models on it -
    There are some people doing some very cool things with the DC shape, I like the look of this from rock'n'roll relics: